puller fan

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

94stranger
SM: No

puller fan

Post by 94stranger »

whats the best electric pusher fan or fans to use for the swap?
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
gorgo

Post by gorgo »

im set up for using a ford tarus 2 speed fan. if you have the room for it. im using a 98 exployer motor and acceries. this thing will pick itself up off the floor on high. it does us some amps when it kicks on though. im using a ford starter relay on the wiring set up. it cost me only 15 at the pick a part
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

gorgo, can you get me a picture of your fan setup? cjcnomor4@aol.com if you cant post it here
95 2wd shortbed styleside with a 98 mountaineer 5.0
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
94 Ranger XLT b. 6/10/94 d.3/28/11 300,842 miles RIP
06 Fusion SEL
11 F150 FX2 SCrew 5.0 Coyote, Custom SCT X3 tune, Roush CAI
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

the title says puller and you ask for pusher, so i use a taurus 2 speed as a puller and it keeps the twin turbo cool on 95+degree days
twin turbo v8 menace
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Can you guys with Taurus fans post pics of your fan setups and clearance? I hear those fans are monsters but did not have the clearance for one myself.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Am I right in assuming that the Taurus fan is only an option if you have a tucked radiator?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

i had to trim a 1/2 inch off the fan shroud and still had 3/8" clearence to the radiator and yes i did tuck the radiator under the front clip, these are what i have on file, i have dial up and it takes 20+ minutes to upload a picture so i wait until i have a bunch then do them on someone elses computer
twin turbo v8 menace
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

yea your right I said puller than asked about a pusher
yea I'd say a lil' retarded!!!
anyways I really meant a pusher fan set up, I want to use my stock 4.0L alumminum rad so I need to know size and cfm for one to push the a/c rad (condensor?),and the radiator
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Use whatever will fit as long as it isn't Flex-A-Lite. Their fans are not that much cheaper than PermaCool and don't flow 1/2 the air a PermaCool of the same diameter does. Personally, I run 2-12" PermaCools in the grill. I had to drill for them, but they've been in place and haven't given me a bit of trouble. Because there was so much open space around the fans, I did fab up some sheet metal covers to go under the fans. I found that when sitting still, about 1/2 my pusher fan air was blowing back forward instead of going through the AC condenser and radiator. I never noticed a problem with cooling to start with, but after installing those AND installing foam stripping between the condenser and radiator, the radiator cools no problem. It's mid 90s here in Atlanta in the afternoons, and my truck idles fine maintaining around 210. Even though the thermostat is a 195° stat, it seems it closes closer to 204°. This could be an inaccuracy in the stat or in the ECT sensor I'm datalogging from. As long as it's not over 220°, I'm not concerned. It only occasionally hits 214-216 range, and never says there. By then the stat is open and the pusher fans are blasting. Within about 30 seconds, I can watch the temp drop to about 206 and then gradually rise again. I still don't have AC charged yet mainly because things keep happening that would cause me to break the system open. I'm just not at a state I'm comfortable with paying to have the system vacuumed. I can charge it myself, but I don't have a vac that can get the system down to boil off any water that's likely in there since I have to open it from time to time.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

great info cgrey, any minimum cfm I should look for in a fan?
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

To be honest, I can't remember the CFM of my PermaCools. It seems like they were around 1500CFM each. You'd have to go to the PermaCool website and see what the spec is for their 12" fan. Being that mechanical puller fans are capable of well over 3000CFMs, I needed 2-12"s just to come close to passing the same amount of air the mechanical did.

I also installed a DC fan speed controller so the fans wouldn't just be on and off. This also prevents heavy inrush loads on your electrical system, allowing the fans to come up to speed gradually vs slamming the voltage to them all at once.

Even with the setup I have working, I'd still love to find a low profile flex-fan adapter that would fit on my Explorer water pump's snout. In slow traffic, the under hood temps get pretty brutal since there's only air circulation when the fans are running. It would be nice to have an additional fan there pulling air all the time, even when it's not needed just to get cooler air coming into the engine bay when possible. To get as close to this as I can, I've got the fan controller's temp set to one of the lower settings so the pushers continue to run longer than they really need to so they'll hopefully blow out some of the super-heated air. With my air filter mounted in the engine bay, I'm datalogging ACT temps sitting in traffic around 150°...and that's with the ACT mounted in the air filter, not in the intake. I imagine the air as it enters the engine is getting up to "supercharger" temps. Then to add insult to injury, I've replaced my Explorer's EGR elbow for a 96 model, which pulls EGR gas up through the intake instead of through a pipe. If I ever decide to relocate my battery out of the engine bay, I'd have a lot more options available to do some better routing of intake air from the front of the truck vs directly from the engine bay. But as long as what I've got is working, I don't see that happening any time soon...just kind of the nature of things.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Chris, if you want constant air flow I believe there is a jumper on the DC controller you can set that will keep your fans running at 10% power all the time and when you turn on the A/C they will ramp to 100% instead of 50%.

As for hotter intake air charge, I'm loving it right now in this 100 degree weather. I don't notice the performance hit but my wallet sure notices the 2+ mpg increase I'm getting (even with A/C running full time). I assume because a very hot intake charge is less dense and requires less fuel.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I've thought about wiring in that AC-line just so the fans run at least 50% all the time. I just haven't done it yet. But thanks for reminding me.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

get a taurus or a probe fan and flip the blade around and make it a pusher, you can get them from a u-pull it fot 10-15$ and it will pretty much outflow any aftermarket fans
twin turbo v8 menace
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

What diameter are the Taurus fans? 12" is about all that would fit in my grill without having to cut the center beam. However if you got a welder and some angle iron, fitting up something wouldn't be too difficult I don't imagine.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org