dislike e303 cam

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

lefty
SM: No

dislike e303 cam

Post by lefty »

I'm not happy with my e303 camshaft with the auto trans.
have to run the idle to high , wants to load up in gear , no power at lower end
does anyone else feel this way or am I missing something
1984 longbed
30 over 302
edelbrock aluiminum preformer heads
e303 cam
1.6 rockers
600 cfm edelbrock / performer RPM intake
headman headers w/2.5 " duel in duel out magnaflow muffler.
8.8 diff; 3;73 LS
c5 w/b&m trick shift / 2800 stall speed converter
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

your missing something,,, sounds like you have a tuning issue with your carb and nothing to do with your cam
twin turbo v8 menace
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I always thought the lack of torque at the bottom-end was a common complaint of the E303? The other stuff sounds like a tuning issue. From what I understand, the E303 should idle and cruise fine.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

i think you have timing issues and carb air bleed issues, i always found my e cam to be very punchy on my 302, try bumping you timing to 14 and leaning it out alittle, you dont mention your compression and that has a direct affect on throttle responce and low end toqure
twin turbo v8 menace
lefty

Post by lefty »

I like want I'm hearing dont get me wrong I do like the cam it sounds great and has great midrange , I will try the tunning some more . my biggest issue is that once it is in gear I have to use alot of brake to hold it back ( im sure the high idle is to blame for most of that). i was going to try a stall speed converter but unfortunately my trans is a c5 with the big converter . but I will give your suggestions a try before I pull the cam out . any more comments or suggestions would be helpful keep up the good work gang thanks LEFTY
1984 longbed
30 over 302
e303 cam
1.6 rockers
8.8 diff; 3;73 LS
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

when you bump the timing and lean it out a little, the idle will go even higher so close the throttle blades some more to keep the engine out of the stall range of the stock converter, lazy timingcombined with an idle "against" the converter will cause your problems
twin turbo v8 menace
lefty

Post by lefty »

thanks 87ranger I will give it a try
1984 longbed
30 over 302
e303 cam
1.6 rockers
8.8 diff; 3;73 LS
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I have the e303 in my red truck and while I don't have power problems the idle is very weak and lopey. I can see how an auto would just kill the motor when putting it in gear unless you had a fairly high idle. I'm running about 18* timing and no pinging.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
stranger

Post by stranger »

while you have the timming light on it,re connect vac line and raise to 3k you should see 30-32* advance tdc.if not thats your problem
2000 trailhead,400 hp 5.0.still want more,blown,motor,410 going together now.
enigma88

Post by enigma88 »

What kind of setup do you have? Carb / intake / electronics.. There is alot of variable to be taken in to considertation. I love carbs but sometimes a real pain... Though I won't say my fuelly doesn't have its little demons....

I am using the E303 cam in my setup and I think it is quite responsive... I am using a stock AOD from and econoline van with the torque convertor that I got cheap. When i started the engine for the first time and it was sitting at 700 RPM. I think I may have been pretty lucky. I thought I would have had alot more speed bumps..

Have fun with the speeding tickets you are sure to get!!!!!!!!!!!
Enigma88

1988 Ford Ranger Carburated 2.0L
+ 1988 Ford Econoline SB 5.0L (Donor Block)
+ 1989 Mustang Harness and Computer
+ AOD Trannsmission
+ Ford Racing E303 Cam, PushRods, Lifters
+ Lots of other Parts
------------------------------------------------------
= Goin' sideways
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

I had similar problem with my truck.

Which edelbrock intake performer or performer RPM ?
and the 600 carb is it the 1406 model?
Edelbrock does not recommend the 1406 with the RPM intake.

Changed to a provac 650 holley from Quik Fuel Technology this made all the difference. Electric choke not as good as Edelbrock but the performance is fantastic.
yosoykoy

Post by yosoykoy »

well i have heard horror stories that the e303 with a fuel injected set up from the explorere will not work due to the fact that it doesn't creat enough vaccum. i know it is kinda unrelated, but was just wondering if this is true. since everyone had the e303 cam on the brain. and i think i saw a link here on but can't remember.
'94 Mazda B3000, looking for a donor vehicle, anyone know of one in central texas? ha ha.
1967 Fastback Mustang GT, 390 big block with 9" rearend, currently in the restoration process( pics to come soon!).
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

actually the E cam was designed for ford by crane as a direct emissions legal replacement cam to work with all the factory tuning parameters in the stock computers,any time you go with any cam spec that is larger than the factory one you will begin to experience some idle "chop" or lope and it all depends on how large you go
twin turbo v8 menace
lefty

Post by lefty »

well gang I would like to tell you that this site is very helpful ! I took some of your suggestions and I think its getting better. set the timing at 16* did a little air screw adjustments took it for a ride and what a differance .still needs a little more but its looking better. one question should the vacumn advance run of timed port or off direct vaumn port . will line hooked to timed port idle is a little flat. with line hooked to direct port idle is choppy sounds great but then I have to set idle rpm higher to keep it running. sorry if these questions are dumb. but your helping out an old stock car racer .( not to many red lights on the circle track idle was not a concern ) thanks in advance and again thanks for the site
1984 longbed
30 over 302
e303 cam
1.6 rockers
8.8 diff; 3;73 LS
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

it should only be run off a timed port or it will provide excessive and undesireable advance at idle, if its flat off idle change your weights or springs to bring in the mechanical advance sooner
twin turbo v8 menace