distributor fit on 98 exployer 5.0

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

gorgo
SM: No

distributor fit on 98 exployer 5.0

Post by gorgo »

im having trouble fitting in a tfi into you exployer motor. i can get mine into my 98 exployer but if i have to move it any it is not going to happen. i hit the temp sender and the right side fuel rail end. any ideas
stranger

Post by stranger »

94-95 remote tfi?might do
2000 trailhead,400 hp 5.0.still want more,blown,motor,410 going together now.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

You have to clearance the accessory bracket with a grinder. I also had to cut the heater hose pipe coming off the lower intake shorter and turn it 90* so the sensor was not in the way of the distributor. Here are a few pics from my blue truck. The last one is from the red truck, I have more from the red truck but can't find them right now.

Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I think Chris had the same problem and followed your lead. Just another problem when using the Explorer motor with the Mustang ingintion.
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Yep I did have to deal with this too. No need in me posting pics because they basically look just like what you see there. Accessory bracket grinding, hack off most of the heater core pipe supply-n-return lines, etc. I did flare the end of that piece of pipe with the ECT sensor on it just to make sure the hose clamp had something to grip onto. I think Malcolm and I both abandoned the upper intake heater lines that were attached to those supply lines.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

same here. i clearanced the idler pulley area of the a/c p/s bracket and got a stainless 90* fitting for the heater tube. i put a threaded t in fot the ect sensor. i dont know how to post pics but if you give me an email i'll send some.
95 2wd shortbed styleside with a 98 mountaineer 5.0
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
94 Ranger XLT b. 6/10/94 d.3/28/11 300,842 miles RIP
06 Fusion SEL
11 F150 FX2 SCrew 5.0 Coyote, Custom SCT X3 tune, Roush CAI
gorgo

Post by gorgo »

what did you do with the waterlines that went to the plenium?
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I assume you are talking about the rubber heater lines that fed coolant to the upper intake? I abandoned them. I didn't do it in purpose, it was done more out of necessity.

The piece you see here that points down between the alternator and the valve cover originally was turned about 90° and ran down the length of the motor with another pipe running right beside it (the heater core return line). The taps to the upper intake fed off of these two lines. But as it was, that positioned the ECT right in the way of the distributor. You can see where the ECT is in the picture now. Imagine if the pipe end were turned to run down the length of the valve cover. That would put the ECT back where the distributor is...wouldn't work.

So I had to unbolt the line off the motor and turn it to point as you see here. This moved the ECT out of the way of the distributor. Instead of having a big long tube sticking out the side of the motor begging to snag on something and break off, I cut off the excess just like you see here so a rubber hose could be run up between the valve cover and alternator and be hose-clamped on. Since the surface is smooth, I even flanged the cut edge some so the rubber hose clamp would have something to grip onto. So far, this setup has given me no problems that I'm aware of.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
broncobowsher

Post by broncobowsher »

stranger wrote:94-95 remote tfi?might do
Those don't fit that well. They are a little shorter then the standard distributer. That shorter fit causes interference issues. Been there, did that.

I have a hybrid distributer. It is a early distributer, but has been modified to accept the '94 remote harness. So I have the vertical clearance of the early distributer and the adjustment clearance of the '94.