2.8/2.9

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cckc135r
SM: No

2.8/2.9

Post by cckc135r »

I'm thinking of picking up a 1985 Bronco II with a 2.8 V-6 and auto trans. Does anybody here have any real experience/likes/dislikes about this engine?

What are similarities of the 2.8 and 2.9? Could a guy take a 2.9 and put the 2.8 carb intake on and go? Heads intake exhaust etc.

Any info that any of you could pass on would be greatly appreciated.

1999 GMC Sloburban 2WD
1986 2WD Ranger (In the planning phase)
1985 B2 all stock and with problems
Bazowak

Always something in work.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

This link says they are basically the same motor that was eventually bored and stroked to make the 4.0.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... ebuild.htm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
rngrmat

Post by rngrmat »

I believe the 2.8 does not have hydraulic lifters which is a nice feature on the 2.9 I could be mistaken.
94 Ranger reg cab short bed. 95 Mustang donor T5
travi273

Post by travi273 »

just outta curiousity. i have a 2.9 out of the 4x4 i blew up. i was goin to ter the motor out to play with it just to see the crack in the block and what not that i all did to it and i know its old and warn so i figure seen worn parts i could help tell from parts stil good within a motor. also it would be my first hands on encounter tearing down a motor. sad i know which i want to do so i have a more understanding what im about to go through with the V8. now my question is... that a good idea or waste of time based on the similarites within the internals of the motor.. both V setup so i figure just a couple more cylinders and of course other major differences, but i was just lookin for more hands on experience. or would i be better getting a 78 302 out of a crown vic to study? (thought abt it for my swap.... been in the field for years.... but would be nice rebuild for a 4x4 bmud toy i believe. thanks.

trav....still learning the ropes
plowboy34

2.8/2.9

Post by plowboy34 »

The 2.8 is solid lifters and the 2.9 is hydraulic. They are basically the same motor, you can take all external parts and swap them. In other words you can take the carb intake off the 2.8 and put it on the 2.9. One thing that will not work if my memory serves me correct is the valve covers. I believe the 2.8 only has 3 bolts on the bottom edge and the 2.9 has 4 bolts. The design and pattern are the same, they would actually fit on either head just the 2.8 head does not have the one bolt hole the 2.9 does. So if you use the 2.8 engine just use the V/C's off that engine, 2.9 engine use V/C's that came on that engine.
cckc135r

Re: 2.8/2.9

Post by cckc135r »

plowboy34 wrote:The 2.8 is solid lifters and the 2.9 is hydraulic. They are basically the same motor, you can take all external parts and swap them. In other words you can take the carb intake off the 2.8 and put it on the 2.9. One thing that will not work if my memory serves me correct is the valve covers. I believe the 2.8 only has 3 bolts on the bottom edge and the 2.9 has 4 bolts. The design and pattern are the same, they would actually fit on either head just the 2.8 head does not have the one bolt hole the 2.9 does. So if you use the 2.8 engine just use the V/C's off that engine, 2.9 engine use V/C's that came on that engine.
What about the dist? The 2.8 dist. is in the back, not the front like typical ford. Is there a duraspark set up that would work. Emissions are not a problem either. The reason I'm asking all of this is that I'm also in the market for a 2.9 that I can put on the engine stand and re-build to suit for it and take my time with it. The Danger Ranger is now in my Mom's possession for me to pick up later and work on because family issues comes first as we all know. This way I still get something to tinker/play with. Maybe even just find another 2.8 and put it on the stand to rebuild. Wife said it's got to be stock so that she can drive it too.

Anyone have an old worn out rebuildable 2.8? Or does anyone know if an aftermarket company makes a carburated intake for a 3.0 or 4.0 that could be used with a the duraspark? Also, I'm not sure of which trans it has in it, I think the C-5 but not sure(the 85 B2 that is)

Just for GeeWhiz Malcom, do you still have your old 4.0? :lol: :wink:
1999 GMC Sloburban 2WD
Bazowak

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: 2.8/2.9

Post by MalcolmV8 »

cckc135r wrote:Just for GeeWhiz Malcom, do you still have your old 4.0?
No sorry. It's gone. I still have the tranny and transfer case though.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
2lo-rngr

Post by 2lo-rngr »

They are well known for cracking heads... and also poor oiling to the heads. These are the only issues I can think of that i've had/ heard about. Other than that, I and everyone else i know to have/ had one seem to be content with their engine. Yes the distributors are in the rear of the engine, it might be a german thing, being these were ford's germany based motors, then ended up being sent over here. cologne i think is where they are made, and the nickname of the motors themselves.
From what I understand the 2.8 and 2.9 are NOT identical. The camshafts turn in opposite directions, one is a chain driven camshaft and the other is geared, they have different heads, with the exhaust valves routed differently, because of a "hot spot" problem with the 2.8's, etc. etc. you can read about them here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine
100% ADRENALINE JUNKIE
90 2-lo ranger x-cab xlt.. 347 swap coming soon... and paint... and airbags... etc.
92 F150 I-6 8" lift with 35's
90 Mustang LX: in the chop shop... soon to be a new color with new motivation: Dart 363 with forced induction... 750ish+ rwhp. gotta keep with the times...
87 Mustang... DSS super pro bullet 306, Crower rods, Max quench pistons,Comp cam, stage III ported Holley/Brodix heads, TKO600, Vortech'd, pullied, etc.... 572rwhp... though it's day's are numbered....
travi273

Post by travi273 »

i have a 2.9. um im sure tho something is terribly wrong bc i had oil on the ground and water/freeze boiling out the intake?????thats not normal. at any rate you could have the motor free, on problem its still in the truck as of right now. but im in ohio 45 min from PA
Ranger Dave

WRONG

Post by Ranger Dave »

They are basically the same motor, you can take all external parts and swap them. In other words you can take the carb intake off the 2.8 and put it on the 2.9.

the only thing that will swap/bolt on is the bellhousing and flywheel setup.You otta do some checkin be4 postin
83 short bed 4X4 V8/C5 Ranger
90 BII D44/9in,2.9/C5
88 BII stock(208,000mi)
92 2wd Navajo(is now 4X4) 4.0(GOTTA GO)
90 BII 2.9/5spd winter bomb
2lo-rngr

Post by 2lo-rngr »

I DID do some checking... see the link??? I just wrote what I read... heres a new link i found http://www.burtonpower.com/technical/tt_taunus.html

did i say anything about the intakes not matching? they are just completely different motors.
100% ADRENALINE JUNKIE
90 2-lo ranger x-cab xlt.. 347 swap coming soon... and paint... and airbags... etc.
92 F150 I-6 8" lift with 35's
90 Mustang LX: in the chop shop... soon to be a new color with new motivation: Dart 363 with forced induction... 750ish+ rwhp. gotta keep with the times...
87 Mustang... DSS super pro bullet 306, Crower rods, Max quench pistons,Comp cam, stage III ported Holley/Brodix heads, TKO600, Vortech'd, pullied, etc.... 572rwhp... though it's day's are numbered....
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

but there are also other subtle differences between these two engines, which makes any interchange of parts very difficult

and where did it say this????
They are basically the same motor, you can take all external parts and swap them. In other words you can take the carb intake off the 2.8 and put it on the 2.9
90 BII D44/9in,2.9/C5
88 BII stock(208,000mi)
cckc135r

Thanks to all of you

Post by cckc135r »

Through a little of my and a LOT of your research I have found out what I needed to know. I appreciate all your insight on the subject. I think just for the ease of it, I'm going to find another 2.8 and put it up on the stand and slowly rebuild it. I have found some aftermarket parts that I would like to use when I do this also.

Also, just as 1 other question......... The Bronco II that I'm going to buy is an 85 XLT that seems to be in very good shape. Everything works as advertised but the passenger side electric door lock, it's on a dealers lot and was taken in on a trade. This summer it will need a set of tires which I will be replacing with new wheels as well. Anyway the cost for the B2 is $2300.00. I'm going to offer $1800.00 cash money (as it's burning a hole in my pocket) out the door. Does that sound like fair money? Oh, by the way the B2 has 106+ thousand well maintained miles and it has the auto trans it. Let me know what you all think it. I'll try and send Malcom some pics so he can post them so that you all can see it.

Thank you all again,
Pete :D
1999 GMC Sloburban 2WD
Bazowak

plowboy34

WOW!!!!

Post by plowboy34 »

WOW!!!! What a two week ride.

Ranger Dave, my apologies to you. I didn't know you were the all knowing Ranger dude. You never made a mistake did you? Just for the record, more than the bellhousing will swap over, all be it just a few little things but still more than just the bellhousing.

cckc135r, My sincere apologies to you. I did not intentionally steer you in the wrong direction. In fact I don't even remember making that post, that is what I meant by the two week ride statement above. I had major back surgery about two weeks ago and boy howdy did they have me on some serious pain killers. I barely remember anything over the last couple weeks. I don't even remember the 2.8/2.9 thread alone replying to it. When I checked my email and seen all those notices of 2.8/2.9 responses I wondered what the heck this was about. After reading it I wanted to go back on the serious pain killers...lol. I did think it was funny though that I mentioned the 4 bolt vs 3 bolt valve covers, I don't know what my mind was thinking there or even if it was. Anyway's as I said I did not intentionally steer you wrong.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

"Just for the record, more than the bellhousing will swap over"

what else other than the bell setup???(bell,flywheel,block plate ect)
90 BII D44/9in,2.9/C5
88 BII stock(208,000mi)