AC Box Mods & Installation Procedure

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

AC Box Mods & Installation Procedure

Post by cgrey8 »

I started working on the AC Box mod, and I think I've got something close, but I need help from those that have done it before...

This is what the inside of the side piece looks like showing the valve cover cleared. The camera was pointed down at the valve cover from where the rest of the Air Box will be.

What's the best way to install the box once the mods have been made? Does the side shown above bolt to the rest of the AC box then get installed or does the larger piece install 1st, then the modded side piece?

I want to practice the procedure once or twice before I actually put the fiberglass on so I'll know if the hole I've cut is big enough or not.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I attached the modded piece to the main blower motor/box assembly and installed the whole thing as one unit.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

At this point, I think the easiest thing for me is to put the whole AC box together, then notch the one or both stud holes on the AC box that are close to the valve cover and slide the box into place via the slotted holes instead of trying to flex the box around to get it over the studs. The other studs should hold the box in place fine. To make sure the slotted holes don't wallow-out, I can put a washer between the slotted holes and the nut.

Sound like a plan or is that a bad idea?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I slotted the bottom hole right behind the valve cover and I cut the stud shorter that sticks out above the valve cover (did not slot that upper hole) and I also shortened the stud sticking out the A/C box itself (the one you put a nut on inside the cab).

Sounds like you're getting close. How long do you estimate before you fire it up?

Thanks
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

plowboy34

A/C Box

Post by plowboy34 »

I never removed the whole box. I just removed the piece to be modified and removed the evaporator after pulling the 4 banger. I then got the 5.0 installed. I then modified the piece. I would remove the valve cover from engine, set the piece up where it went then I would reinstall valve cover until I was satisfied with how much I needed to cut out. Then I fiberglassed piece, then I reinstalled evaporator, installed modified piece and reinstalled valve cover. That way I knew I could remove valve cover once modification was done. That's what this crazy farmer did anyway's.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

On my red truck I have taller valve covers to clear the roller rockers. There was no way to get them off without removing the A/C box. On my blue truck it sure looks like I can get the valve cover off but I never actually tried it.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

So you were able to get the AC box in by slotting the bottom hole only? I'll give that a try.

I start work again tomorrow. This weekend has been useless for getting any work done so hopefully I can finish up the loose ends this week after work each night. At this point, the only part thats concerning me is the air intake mods to make that work. Without a TIG welder, I'm trying to think of a way to "rig" up a PCV intake line in the aluminum pipe to connect to the oil neck inlet without having it look rigged.

Once everything is together, then its time to see if it'll crank. If not or or won't run right, then its diagnostic time.

The next chance I got to get an exhaust on it before the new year is after Christmas. I'll have the week off after christmas, but I'm not even pretending that I'll have more than a day with the truck during that time since I'll be with family most of that.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

A/C Box

Post by plowboy34 »

I didn't slot anything, only mod I did is where the V/C goes into it. Then my son's is a 85 compared to your 89 or Malcolm's 92, I don't know if there is a difference or not.

Malcolm, my son's new engine is going to have the taller V/C's for his roller rockers also. Looking at it I believe we will still be able to remove it but it is going to be close. I'll let you know how it goes.
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

my 95 didnt need any mods at all. actually a lot of room
95 2wd shortbed styleside with a 98 mountaineer 5.0
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
94 Ranger XLT b. 6/10/94 d.3/28/11 300,842 miles RIP
06 Fusion SEL
11 F150 FX2 SCrew 5.0 Coyote, Custom SCT X3 tune, Roush CAI
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The 95 Rangers use the same AC box that the 96-01 Explorers use so they will clear without a problem. I have no clue what 93-94 Ranger boxes look like, but 92 and earlier have the AC box right over the valve covers of the V8 and you HAVE to mod the box for valve cover clearance.

As for clearing the valve cover, I might be able to get it on and off without slotting the holes. However if cutting slots will make the installation easier, I'm all for it. I also want to avoid making further cuts/mods to the box so I don't cause anymore airflow restriction than I have to.

Thanks for the feedback...
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

Has anyone try to put a 95 Ac box on a early model (1987) Ranger?
My ac box is very restrictive and I thought this might be a good fix. I also have roller rockers and have to use the tall valve covers.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I doubt that'll help. The box is made to fit over the holes that are in the firewall. The holes are where the air blows through. On the other side of the firewall, the other AC components (under the dash) align to those firewall holes to get the air up to the ducts and to run the various dampers that divert air to the floor, dash, and windshield.

If you held the newer style box up there, things wouldn't line up right. I suspect the newer trucks being 3" wider is why the newer body style trucks don't have clearance problems with the AC box along with a revamp of the way the evaporator sits in the AC box which pulls the side of the AC box further away from the engine.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

cgrey8
Thanks I think I will get another ac box this summer and do a better job of ac box mods. For now I thing I will just drive it.
On a different subject does anyone have experience with replacement carpet, new 5 speed hole messed up carpet.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

87sc302 wrote:On a different subject does anyone have experience with replacement carpet, new 5 speed hole messed up carpet.
I replaced the carpet and padding in my red truck. It's a bit of a pain but nothing impossible. Did you have specific questions?
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

From my research there are several carpet types. Which are similar to factory? recommended vendor ? Approx price? ( 87 extended cab)
Thanks