Ford 8.8" rearend: 28 spline vs. 31 spline

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Ford 8.8" rearend: 28 spline vs. 31 spline

Post by cgrey8 »

I got that video (Rebuilding the Ford 8.8" Rearend) and watched it a number of times. I didn't realize how much I didn't know. Everything he did made perfect sense and I feel a lot more confident that I'll do a better job of working on an RE if I ever need to crack one open and do a complete rebuild. I also saw exactly what you meant about the pinion preload torque.

However when I'd watched it all, I still had some questions but the biggest had to do with the 28 vs 31 spline carrier versions. The 28 spline version uses equal length axles. The 31 spline's axles are different lengths. You obviously also need matching service gears in the carrier to match the axle spline count.

However what I don't understand is whether the unequal length of the 31 spline axles is due to the carrier shape/design or whether it's due to carrier housing being slightly off-center. If the housing location is different for a 28 vs 31 spline, then that'd marry the housing to a spline count. If that's true, then if you tried to convert a 31 to 28 spline, you'd find your 28 spline axles of equal length wouldn't fit in a housing meant for 31 spline axles. He never mentioned this aspect. I think he just assumed you'd always keep things the same.

So the question is:

Is the carrier housing married to the spline count?

By the way, after I watched all the chapters, I went back to read my Hayes Manual just for kicks...simply pathetic. Nothing more to say.

For anybody that has never been taught how to properly rebuild an RE (shimming correctly and adjusting tooth pattern), I'd highly recommend this video. It's by "Bad Shoe Productions."

The guy that makes the film is Ken Collins at:

kennethl6@prodigy.net

If you ever plan on rebuilding an 8.8" RE and have never done it or don't know how, he can certainly start you off with whether you are properly tooled all the way to showing you EXACTLY how to perform each aspect of the rebuild.

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org