302 bolt size for mounting on engine stand

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

302 bolt size for mounting on engine stand

Post by cgrey8 »

I tried to get one of the bell housing bolts from the yard when I picked the engine up, but they'd long since swept them into a pile and hauled off all the bolts from the floor that day off. None of them knew right off what size it was. A few guesses, but nothing I felt comfortable with remembering.

Anybody know what the bolt length and thread is for mounting a 302 to an engine stand? Eventually, I'll need the original bolts but for now, I need the longer ones so I can get this thing onto the stand.

If nobody knows, maybe the guys at one of the auto parts stores will have a way to look it up.

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I just went to a local hardware store and picked up a few misc bolts that looked about the right size. Probably took 2 trips. No big deal.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Chris,
You are going to need some bolts with 7/16"-14 threads, the length depends on the spacers on your motor stand. I've got 3" long ones in mine. Reccomend getting one of those cheap sets of tools used to chase/clean out threads. Also very helpful in knowing just what size threads you have. Another reminder - all the threads in the block are the old standard US threads. About everything else is Metric.
Dave
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

That was quick...Talk about service.

That's good info knowing that the block is still standard sizes. I'll pick up some bolts that fit in a 7/16"-14.

Thanks.

For the record Malcolm, your forum kicks ass. I never could've dreamed of getting the level of expereince and knowledge on my own that I've gotten from you and your site's members.

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Dave brings up a good point about threads. I picked up two large tap and die kits from harbor freight.. One metric and one standard. Even though they're kinda cheap and wouldn't take a lot of abuse they are great for figuring out what size threads you're working with and good for cleaning out threads especially when you paint stuff etc. I also found them handy for drilling and taping misc fittings in the engine bay, like the msd box, custom grounds, relay mounting etc.

Chris, glad you and others find the board useful.

Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I got a set of 4 grade 8, 7/16"-14pitch-3.5"Long. Worked without a problem.

The engine's now on the stand. It's a 2 ton stand which should be more than plenty stout to handle a 302, but the engine sure sags at a downward angle. I guess it's to be expected.

Dave, thanks again for the quick response earlier today.

Chris
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Engine Stand

Post by Dave »

Chris,
Never seen a motor stand rated at 2 ton's, it ought be able to hold a Cummins desisel with no problem. I've got a stand rated at 750 lbs and the complete motor only sags 3/4" at the oil pan rail front to back. What's up with that?
Dave
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I paid the extra dollar for the 2-ton stand not to mention it was onsale in the Harbor Freight store for just a few dollars higher than the 750lb stands. However I found out why the engine is sagging...yet again, I feel like an idiot.

To give you the mental picture, I'm probably going to tell you what you already know, but it comes to a point...The engine is mounted to cast iron standoffs that bolt directly to the block. Those standoffs mount to a big thick metal plate with slots in it. In the middle of that is about a 3" (maybe slightly smaller) pipe. This pipe fits into a larger pipe welded to the engine stand frame, just like any other engine stand.

Well the larger engine stand pipe is welded on slightly angled. It's so slight, I didn't notice it when I was putting the thing together, thus I installed it backwards so that it starts out angled downward instead of upward.

I haven't taken the time yet, but I'm confident once I get the frame piece turned around so that it angles the engine upward, all that downward sag will be gone.

Chris
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org