All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

rick_brade

Options for low profile FORWARD rotation water pumps for 302

Post by rick_brade »

Relevant background info:
Powertrain: 1989 Mustang 5.0
Truck: 1988 Ranger S
Accessories required: Alternator & Waterpump only (AC compressor currently only used as an overweight idler pulley)
Other: Engine is positioned forward more than it probably should be with about 2 inches of clearance between the radiator fins and the pulleys. My lack of planning ahead is making it difficult to squeeze an electric cooling fan behind the radiator.

I'm hoping to simplify my belt drive while simultaneously increasing the space between my pulleys and my radiator.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I'd like to:
  • 1) run a simple 3 pulley serpentine belt
    2) with a forward rotation (ribbed pulley) waterpump and
    3) if possible, use a low profile waterpump
I have seen low profile setups on 302 powered explorers and 94-95 Mustangs, but unfortunately those are all reverse rotation waterpumps, so I can't use a ribbed pulley.

There's lots of 3-pulley forward rotation setups out there, but I can't find any that are low profile.

Any suggestions?
plowboy34
SM: No

Re: Options for low profile FORWARD rotation water pumps for

Post by plowboy34 »

what are you calling a ribbed pulley, if it's a pulley for a serpentine belt you can use it. Several on here run the Explorer front accesories and they are serpentine belts. I am not quite sure what you are asking.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I would avoid calling the rotation of the water pump forward or backward. Use more explicit wording such as Clockwise or CounterClockWise.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

Reverse rotation is the correct term, meaning the waterpump runs off the back of the belt, turning the opposite direction of the crank.

For the OP, I would use the sn95 or Explorer pump. They have different spacing, but both use the same timing cover.
I would then place the alternator where ever you like to get some contact on the WP pulley, just hitting it with the back of the belt.

My belt barely touches the WP pulley with no issues.
I'm using PS, but my alt is upside down...

'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console