header clearance

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cjcnomor4
SM: No

header clearance

Post by cjcnomor4 »

Does anyone have any pics of their headers in the truck they can post? I'm ready to drill holes in my L&L "bolt in- no drilling required" mounts. I ve got it square in the frame trans is in with a temporary mount centering it on the crossmember. It just doesn't look like my headers will clear, especially on the driver's side. I have Hooker's Super Comps, full length headers. Should I look into a set of shorties from L&L or Advance Adapters?
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Without doing major mods, I don't think you'll be able to use full length headers. I've only seen pics of people's swaps that had the shorties, then the exhaust line that came up to the header in the engine compartment, not down near the tranny the way a full-length header would.

Even with the shorty headers, most people find they have to notch a section of the passenger side frame to make clearance. Depending on location, size of engine, etc, the notch is more than others. Just from memory, it seems the notch is around 1/2". I thought Malcolm had pics of where he notched his frame, but I can't find it now.

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

cgrey8 wrote:I thought Malcolm had pics of where he notched his frame, but I can't find it now.
Nope. I didn't notch my frame. The L&L headers fit without notching. Just be sure to have them loosely bolted to the engine when you're wiggling the engine in place to mark and drill your motor mounts. The fit is tight.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

No notching with the L&Ls...that's enough to sell me on them.

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

ok I'll look into them, if they fit my p heads. Malcolm- did you get yours coated? if so does it still look good, discolored or anything? I did get a break finally, i dont have to cut out my a/c box to clear the rh valve cover.
have more than 1/2 inch even with the factory insulation on the outside of the case.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yes I got mine coated. The nickel coating looks quite nice. When I first fired up my engine and got it hot a few of the header pipes got a small discoloration right on the bend. About a 2 x 1/2" area. Likes colored almost like when you drop some oil in water and see how the light catches it. It's a very light discoloration. Other than that they have stayed the same.
When I first fired up my engine I didn't have the exhaust ports on the back of the heads plugged. Not sure if that had anything to do with it?

That's real nice about your pass valve cover. Mine's a pain. I had to notch quite a bit. Part of my problem is also that I'm running roller rockers which requried taller valve covers to clear them.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8