Help with build list (v8 pulleys + accessories)

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

mccombs

Help with build list (v8 pulleys + accessories)

Post by mccombs »

So I'm going against the grain here and I need a little help to finish out my build. I'm not looking to use any parts from my old ranger engine (I've read you can reuse the pumps and alternator)

Here's my engine: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/pa ... ield=11752

306 crate motor from ford. I've got a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold and a Holley 570 Street Avenger carb.

Here's what I'm thinking for the front:

Pulleys: http://www.jegs.com/i/March-Performance ... 0/10002/-1
Belt: http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/K060755/10002/-1
Alt: http://www.jegs.com/i/March-Performance ... 0/10002/-1
Power steering: http://www.jegs.com/i/AGR/012/809102/10002/-1
AC: http://www.jegs.com/i/Denso/313/471-8112/10002/-1

I was also considering using this MSD Ignition: http://www.amazon.com/MSD-Ignition-8352 ... s=msd+8352

Now here's the kicker - that pulley system says "Must Use Electric Fuel Pump with Kits That Includes Power Steering" that really throws me for a loop because I can't use that distributor that I've read was a good choice.

Frankly, I've not looked into how I'm going to handle wiring but at this point I'm a bit lost on what to order next. I need something that's going to work for a carbureted setup but is simple enough I can install. If I go with that pulley setup and accessories, what are my options to do an electrice fuel pump that will work with a carb'd system?

Anyone gone down this route? Can anyone point me in the right direction with these choices?
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Help with build list (v8 pulleys + accessories)

Post by cgrey8 »

Carb just needs a low pressure (~5PSI) fuel pump. You can get in-line fuel pumps and I believe in-tank fuel pumps similar to the stock in-tank high pressure (~40PSI) pumps used for EFI. I've heard there are fuel pressure regulators you can use that will reuse the stock EFI pump, but regulate the pressure to carb levels. Being I'm EFI, I have no personal experience with either of these options, but I do know the in-line carb fuel pumps exist and are what most people use. I haven't seen a mechanical fuel pump used on a new build in a LONG time.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

Sorry if I missed it but what year is your Ranger?

My 87 had two pumps one in tank (low pressure ) and one in the frame rail ( high pressure).

I used the regulator for a few years but the pressure was constantly requiring adjustment so I removed the high pressure pump and just use the in tank low pressure and it was perfect.
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

My 89 only had 1 pump...the in-tank pump. My guess is the 2-pump setup is just left-overs from when the truck had a carb. I assume 83 Rangers had carbs and then got EFI at some point around 86?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
mccombs

Post by mccombs »

It's a 92. But I'm starting from scratch. New tank, new lines, custom wiring etc.

If I go with a low pressure fuel pump what should I pick for the distributor?

Has anyone gone the carb route?
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

The boy's 85 was just like 87sc302. had two pumps. The in tank pump only put out 6psi and thats what we ran straight to carb and never had any problems.

If your going carb you should be able to run about any distributor you want. We put an Mallory HEI on the boy's truck and it has worked great.

cgrey, if my memory serves me correct(and it has been known to fail from time to time) the 4 bangers got injection in 85 and the V6 got injection in 86. I was in California working at Ford dealership at the time and California usually gets everything first cause of the ridiculous smog laws. One of the reasons I left. I am 80% sure that is right though.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
mccombs

Post by mccombs »

plowboy34 wrote:The boy's 85 was just like 87sc302. had two pumps. The in tank pump only put out 6psi and thats what we ran straight to carb and never had any problems.

If your going carb you should be able to run about any distributor you want. We put an Mallory HEI on the boy's truck and it has worked great.

cgrey, if my memory serves me correct(and it has been known to fail from time to time) the 4 bangers got injection in 85 and the V6 got injection in 86. I was in California working at Ford dealership at the time and California usually gets everything first cause of the ridiculous smog laws. One of the reasons I left. I am 80% sure that is right though.
plowboy34 what's your accessories and wiring setup look like? I'm going at this 100% from scratch and I just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. Everyone says it's as easy as plug and play but I'm not convenced.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It's that easy if you know all the right pieces to get to make that so. And for carbed setups, it almost is just that easy. EFI is far more complicated and costly to deal with. Those of us that live in emission-testing areas have no choice but to be EFI to drive our projects. But if you don't have to be EFI and have no desire for EFI, a carbed setup is by far the simplest and more affordable direction.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

i have a carb setup. Ya mine had two pumps also. I am using the one in the tank and have another one on the frame rail for more volume. The one in the tank is not enough to keep up with my setup.
Dont know why you would not use some of the stock stuff when they bolt right up. then you dont have to mees around with fittings and hoses...
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

We used the Explorer front accesories....only way to go in my opinion, it is not complicated and gives you plenty of room between Radiator and engine. You can run a mechanical fan no problem if you want to. We run an electric one but you could use a mechanical if you wanted.

As far as wiring with the HEI distibutor you just need a power wire that has power in the on and crank position.

We have the factory mechanical guages in the truck and we just used sending units from the same year as truck and it was basically a plug and play deal. I don't remember the exact colors on wires off the top of my head but if you want them I could get them for you no problem just let me know.

And to go along with v8ranger on the using the stock stuff for ease of hook up it also helps keep the cost down.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
mccombs

Post by mccombs »

plowboy34 wrote:We used the Explorer front accesories....only way to go in my opinion, it is not complicated and gives you plenty of room between Radiator and engine. You can run a mechanical fan no problem if you want to. We run an electric one but you could use a mechanical if you wanted.

As far as wiring with the HEI distibutor you just need a power wire that has power in the on and crank position.

We have the factory mechanical guages in the truck and we just used sending units from the same year as truck and it was basically a plug and play deal. I don't remember the exact colors on wires off the top of my head but if you want them I could get them for you no problem just let me know.

And to go along with v8ranger on the using the stock stuff for ease of hook up it also helps keep the cost down.
Thanks for the advice. Just a little intimidated since this is a completely clean build out. Any wiring I'm going to do will be from scratch or with a basic wiring kit. Not trying to make it difficult but I want a super clean engine bay and I want the insides to look as clean as the outside.

I've got a pulley kit on order as well as a water pump, alt, ac pulley delete and power steering. Once I get all that put on hopefully I can drop in a dist, wires, starter etc.
Chris

Post by Chris »

For carb'd ignition system, I'd go with fords Duraspark II system. Wiring is very simple. The distributor has the position sensor internal so there's less wiring involved. Just be sure to keep the Duraspark module away from heat. Or, if your going the MSD route, a simple points distributor works beautifully. The MSD module takes the electrical load in the system and only uses the points as a "sensor." This allows the points to last indefinitely. Furthermore, since the module controls the coil, dwell time is not as critical so there is less tuning needed.
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
mccombs

Post by mccombs »

Chris wrote:For carb'd ignition system, I'd go with fords Duraspark II system. Wiring is very simple. The distributor has the position sensor internal so there's less wiring involved. Just be sure to keep the Duraspark module away from heat. Or, if your going the MSD route, a simple points distributor works beautifully. The MSD module takes the electrical load in the system and only uses the points as a "sensor." This allows the points to last indefinitely. Furthermore, since the module controls the coil, dwell time is not as critical so there is less tuning needed.
Any recommendations on a MSD system? Would I need anything other than http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-Ignition-Ki ... 69&vxp=mtr ?

Are there any alternatives?
Chris

Post by Chris »

If this is going to be a mostly street engine, that set up really unnecessary. The stock ford 289 single points distributor is plenty adequate up to 7,000rpm. Above that, you will start to get point float where the points will ride on the high spots and never fully close. If you're going above 7,000rpm, I'd look into the Ford Duraspark II system. I used the stock points distributor, although I did overhaul it with new bushings and new advance plate with springs, in my '65 Mustang with an MSD 6AL box. The engine starts and runs beautifully. I can not say how it handles on the street yet because I have no rear differential in the car. It truly is a very simple instillation and it is completely stealth. I hid my MSD box behind the glove box so everything looks stock under the hood.

Now, having said that, if you're not wanting to use any stock components your link will have everything you need. I found MSD instillation and wiring instructions are very detailed and I've never had an issue with any of their products.
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
mccombs

Post by mccombs »

Chris wrote:If this is going to be a mostly street engine, that set up really unnecessary. The stock ford 289 single points distributor is plenty adequate up to 7,000rpm. Above that, you will start to get point float where the points will ride on the high spots and never fully close. If you're going above 7,000rpm, I'd look into the Ford Duraspark II system. I used the stock points distributor, although I did overhaul it with new bushings and new advance plate with springs, in my '65 Mustang with an MSD 6AL box. The engine starts and runs beautifully. I can not say how it handles on the street yet because I have no rear differential in the car. It truly is a very simple instillation and it is completely stealth. I hid my MSD box behind the glove box so everything looks stock under the hood.

Now, having said that, if you're not wanting to use any stock components your link will have everything you need. I found MSD instillation and wiring instructions are very detailed and I've never had an issue with any of their products.
Ya I think it's just a question of building this from scratch. I'm not really wanting to hack/re-use a factory harness. It might come back to bite me later but I want this to be a super clean install with minimal wiring.