fuel line connection question

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

blk93notch

fuel line connection question

Post by blk93notch »

i have a 1990 ford ranger that im taking the 4.0 out of and the question i have is that at the quick disconnect of the fuel lines can i use the an style fittings that go into the quick disconnect. i believe the connection is the same size as a mustang quick disconnects. heres the link to the fittings. i was thinking of installing them then run braided fuel line to the regulator. i was wondering what people thought of the idea.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+ ... 0/10002/-1
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: fuel line connection question

Post by cgrey8 »

I made my own adapter to go between my stock fuel lines and the engine's stock fuel lines. Here are the pics:

So I went to the junk yard and clipped some fittings and made my own adapter:

I ground off that piece of braided hose you see in the pic and use rubber fuel line. That's been working great since 2006. Stock fuel lines and fittings work up to about 400hp. although you will need to upgrade the fuel pump in the tank for anything above ~300hp. Beyond that and it's all a restriction that you'll want to upgrade from the tank back.

To answer your question, the only reason I would mess with those spring lock to -an fittings is if you have an aftermarket fuel rail that has -an fittings and thus want to run a standard hose on. But there are other camps of thought. Ultimately as long as the fuel isn't leaking and the flow is sufficient for the engine, it doesn't really matter which direction you go. So do what you want. If fancy is your fancy, then go with those -an fittings. If budget is your thing, do some junk yard fuel line clipping like I did.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org