Tuning time!!!

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Chris
SM: No

Tuning time!!!

Post by Chris »

Well, after much thought and research I've decided to take the plunge into the world of EEC Tuning. I ordered the Innovate LM-2 Wideband kit and SCT Advantage software. Let the fun begin!!!
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Tuning time!!!

Post by cgrey8 »

If you are using an older EEC-IV, I'm sorry you got sold on SCT. AFAIK, they don't have datalogging ability on the older EECs. Without datalogging, you are tuning in the dark. The WB will help, but it's still tuning in a void.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Chris

Post by Chris »

Nah, it's an OBD-2 system. I'm not really worried about SCT datalogging because my Innovate LM-2 will datalog and I have access to Fords IDS scan tool.
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Ok good. If its EEC-V (OBD-II), then yeah you should have access to most of the stuff you'll need. Hopefully it'll be enough. Being I've never tuned an OBD-II EEC, I don't know what the raw OBD-II options for datalogging are. Regardless, you should have enough visibility into what's going on that you'll either get it tuned OR you'll have enough visibility to see you need more because you'll start seeing behavior you can't explain. The ideal outcome is you'll have everything you need. Here are the most common things you'll NEED:
  • RPM
  • Load (may be called Per_Load)
  • Load% (I perfer to set Load%=Load just to make things simpler, but some strategies may not work well for this)
  • MAFv
  • MAF
  • VSS (Speed)
  • ACT
  • ECT
  • IAC duty cycle (aka ISC)
  • Idle Control Strategy (may be called ISCFLG. This is an indication if the EEC is in Preposition, Dashpot, or Closed Loop RPM control).
  • HEGOs 1&2
  • STFT Banks1&2 (aka LAMBSEs) If you only have 1 HEGO, there'll only be 1 bank
  • LTFT Banks1&2 (aka KAMRFs)
  • Injector PWs 1&2
  • TPS voltage
  • Throttle Status (this is different from TPS voltage. This is what the EEC believes the throttle is doing. States are usually Closed Throttle, Part Throttle, WOT)
  • Commanded Spark Advance
  • Spark Source (Spark is commanded from numerous locations in the tune, you need an indication as to what was commanding spark at any given moment so you know what thing in the tune actually needs attention).
  • Bat Voltage
  • BARO (if equipped)
  • Fuel Pressure (if equipped)
  • AC status
  • OL/CL Fuel Control status
  • Desired Idle RPM (may be called DESRPM)
  • Learned Idle Adjustment (may be called IPSIBR)
  • Neutral/Drive status
  • Engine WARM status flag
These are just the minimum things you'll want in a datalog to dial in fuel and idle control. And BTW, you cannot fix an idle problem until you've gotten your fueling dialed in. Bad fuel control will, in itself, cause unstable idle regardless of what you do with the ISC and Spark during idle.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Chris

Post by Chris »

Well, I've had a few days to play with the SCT Advantage III program. I have to say, I have no complaints at all. I can access every aspect of the PCM calibration that I could ask for. I can even import part of a calibration file from another models PCM to compensate for changes in equipment. For example, I'm using the MAF and 24# injectors off a '95 Mustang Cobra on my truck. I can import the MAF and injector values from the Cobra's PCM calibration. Alternatively, I could go in and manually change those values however I see fit.

At the moment, I have my "start up" tune written and encoded on my X3. Haven't flashed the truck yet because I'm working out of town. I've been playing with it in the hotel in the evenings. Hoping to be home by this weekend to see what this thing will do!!

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Chris wrote:I'm not really worried about SCT datalogging because my Innovate LM-2 will datalog and I have access to Fords IDS scan tool.
You'll eat those words :D

Once you get into it more you'll find datalogging is absolutely invaluable and quite frankly it's completely impossible to correct a ton of things in the tune along the MAF transfer curve and a bunch of other stuff without datalogging. Once you play with it for a while you'll see. Been using SCT's PRP for a while myself. The software itself is fine, the dang X3 is a pile of crap though. Over the years I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th one now. They always lock up, freeze, fail to work right as you make a nice WOT pull down the highway trying to datalog etc. and eventually just quit on you and you have to send them back to SCT and they charge $60 + shipping to repair each time. It's a racket I tell ya :) Wish SCT had some decent competition.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Chris

Post by Chris »

I have full datalogging capabilities using my LM-2 wideband controller. It allows me to view live data on my laptop, record data on my laptop, or record data using the LM-2 controller onto a SD card to be reviewed later. I mis-spoke, I have the X2. Hopefully I don't have those same issues as you. I guess we'll see. Haven't been able to do any tuning other than the innitial start-up tune. I'm having to diagnose some electricial issues and have been busy with family and work. I'll be leaving next week for a month or two in Canada. Hopefully after I return home I'll have some time to play with it.