rim and tire size

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

85 ranger btm

rim and tire size

Post by 85 ranger btm »

i have an 85 ranger with a djm dream beams and rear flip kit and i was wondering what size rims and tires i can use. i need to know tire size, rim size, backspacing, and off set. thanks
87sc302
SM: No

Re: rim and tire size

Post by 87sc302 »

I have djm dream beams and 17" Mustang Bullitt wheels with 245/45 tires.
Not sure what the back spacing/offset /width of wheels.
I had to modify the front hubs slightly to keep from using spacers.

87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
85 ranger btm

Post by 85 ranger btm »

thanks. what was your issue with the hub and what did you have to do on the hub
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I've heard of people installing wider front tires having to install stops to keep the tires from turning themselves into interferences. I think even Malcolm had to do that on the Red Ranger with the Cobra rims he put on it.

I'm hoping I can avoid that by going with rims meant for a Ranger. The rims I STILL want but just haven't put the priority on budgeting for are the American Racing Venturas:

I also like the Moto Metal 951s too:

My only problem with these are they have black paint all the way to the tire which means if you ever curb the rims, it'll be that much more noticeable than it would be if the rims weren't painted black to the edge. And given I drive my truck like a truck from time (e.g. not thinking 2nd about jumping a curb), I just can't ignore that these rims would not stay looking great over time.

I point these out because both of these work well with Rangers. The Cobras will work but aren't really meant to work on a Ranger so there are sometimes clearance issues depending on how wide the rims are and what backspacing you get. For all I know, there is no option for backspacing on the Cobra rims????
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
demon

Post by demon »

I had some cobra R wheels on my 98 Ranger 17x9 and they cleared just fine. I currently have some centerline wheels 15x7 up front and some 15x10 for the rear and they clear just fine
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

85 Ranger btm
I had to make a slight chamfer on the front hubs where the grease cap attaches. The wheel center on the ford factory wheels taper a little and if you do not chamfer the hub you could crack the wheels as they will not seat on hub face. Some people use spacers but I not a fan of spacers. I used an angle grinder and took about 10 minutes per wheel. I will look for my pictures that I took when I did mine about 3 years ago. Also I took full size ford truck wheel grease caps took tin snips cut notches and used them for caps on the wheels as the stock mustang centers will not fit front do to the ranger grease caps extend out too far.
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
85 ranger btm

Post by 85 ranger btm »

thanks for all the help.