1996 Explorer 5.0L intake elbow

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: 1996 Explorer 5.0L intake elbow

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yeah they are a rip off. Search for EGR delete kits and you'll find them. Usually around $30. I often install them for guys though. Some like to keep their factory nut and tube in case they return their cars back to stock before selling.

I personally have NO use for EGR what so ever. All it does is heat up my blower and intake which I'm so desperately trying to cool. I have no emissions test to pass here in KC and I saw zero change in mpg so for me it's a no brainer to weld the cap up and never look back.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

The benefits of EGR are mixed. Some people find they do increase in MPG, but the best only see a 1MPG at best. Most people realize no difference. And a very few actually find no EGR increases their MPG which dumbfounds me into believing there was something wrong to start with.

From a theoretical standpoint, EGR should improve fuel economy on most gasoline cars particularly stock and low compression engines. High compression engines diminish a lot of those benefits and is perhaps where people see a reduction in fuel economy when using EGR but that's purely speculation on my part (not based on actual info I've read). And of course if you have a blower, you'd want the EGR piped in after the blower just so you can be assured you aren't passing exhaust heat and soot into the blower.

But yeah, if you don't need EGR to pass tests, you are right. It's probably not worth the effort to maintain it for the vast majority of people. I did see a minor improvement in fuel economy with it. Surprisingly, I saw A HUGE improvement in fuel economy with and without EGR when I was running E85. It was immediately noticeable in my datalogger when I flipped between EGR and non EGR tunes. I have no explanation for that. But I know it to be true at least on my old Explorer 302 burning E85.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

All the blowers I've installed so far (few different model Eatons and Whipples) all have the EGR provisions before the blower and not after it. There has never been a soot problem that I've seen but definitely a HUGE heating problem.

Blower guys have intercoolers sitting under the blower trying to cool the intake charge and a lot of guys, myself included, are running water/meth injection to not only boost octane but also cool that intake charge. Some guys run Killer Chillers too which if you are not familiar use the A/C to chill the supercharger's coolant down to around 34F and help keep IAT2 temps down.

Then of course with all the people spinning their blowers harder and harder some find even their Eaton blowers casings are heating up a lot. Check out this thread where Stiegemeier Porting is modifying the snout of the blower to use the supercharger coolant to help cool the snout of the blower and pull heat away from the front gears and bearings. There's a lot of debate as to how needed this really is but none the less highlights the issues of blower heat.

http://dynobob.websitetoolbox.com/post/ ... RS-5610617

So like I said for me EGR will never be an option. At least not on my supercharged and turbo'd vehicles. Now on my old blue truck I actually did run EGR. Performance was not much of a concern in that vehicle and I figured if I pick up even half a mpg it was worth it.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

cgrey8 wrote:
Anyway, it is interesting to know those nuts are available from somewhere on the Internet. Although I'm sure you pay a premium for them.
And so far after your replacement, you're still only into this for $.01
Your other $.02 could be cashed out at any time :)
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Teddyzee wrote:...And so far after your replacement, you're still only into this for $.01
Your other $.02 could be cashed out at any time :)
It took me a second to realize what you were saying. But oh so true...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

lol yeah I had to read it twice and then laughed. Funny stuff.

Chris you should take your bowed pennies to the bank and tell them there's something wrong with them and have them swap them out for you lol.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing