98 Explorer into 86 Ranger

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

josht

98 Explorer into 86 Ranger

Post by josht »

Hey new guy here. I got a $500 86 Ranger 2wd that was victim to a kid that started an engine rebuild (2.9L), bought it out of a barn where it had been sitting with the engine in the bed for almost 10 years. I've also got a $500 98 Explorer 2wd that was a rollover victim, it's high miles (180K) but it's complete and runs good from what I've heard so far. I'm planning to drop the complete drive train from the Explorer into the Ranger. While I'm at it I'm basically rebuilding the Ranger to include lowering, brake upgrades, and rewiring. I already have L&L products motor mounts that I picked up cheap from someone local that bailed out on their swap, and will be buying most of the other conversion parts sometime in the coming month. Right now my plan is to set the new motor in the hole during the week of Thanksgiving, have the whole week scheduled off and haven't made other plans yet. At current my largest issue is the wiring. I will be keeping the EEC-V system since I need the transmission controls. Can't see dropping the money on Mustang EFI components and a transmission controller when I already have this system and it works. Of course that system is also what is causing my largest headache right now. I think I have nearly everything figured out how to make the system stand alone, but the VSS is kicking my ass. From what I am reading the 98 Explorer gets it's VSS from the ABS Module which calculates it from the Rear Speed Sensor. I wasn't planning to incorporate the ABS system into the Ranger and would rather not have that module installed, is there another way to get the VSS signal for the EEC-V system?

I know there has to be a solution to this because enough Mod motors have been swapped into classic cars to require a solution, but damned if I've been able to find it. I think I've seen almost every other issue one could run into with such a swap mentioned, and I've seen people say it might be an issue, but I've never seen a solution mentioned.

I've browsed the forum for a similar swap but haven't found anything yet. I am aware of the 410Fortune Bronco, but it's not really the same because he had converted the entire bronco to OBD-II with a previous 4.0L swap. I want to use an Aftermarket Universal Harness, for both ease and speed of installation. I have no interest in stripping more wiring from that Explorer than I absolutely have to have. If it comes down to it I will swap over the body harness but that will create a whole different wiring nightmare trying to mate the Explorer's wiring and systems to the Ranger's controls.
Teddyzee
SM: No

Re: 98 Explorer into 86 Ranger

Post by Teddyzee »

The '98 Explorer has the VSS in the trans.
Early '90s Rangers (and Mustangs will cruise control) had a VSS that accepted the cable as well.

Whether that VSS signal needed to be manipulated before it got to the ECU, I do not know. But the EVTM would certainly show.
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I know the newer Explorers got vehicle speed from the ABS, but I was thinking the 96-98 Explorers still used the VSS like Teddy is saying. However if not, I'm 99% sure the 97 Explorer does use VSS. So it would be just a matter of getting an XDT2 (97 Explorer 5.0L) EEC and using that instead.

Depending on how much needs to change and how much you are taking away, you may still need some things disabled in that EEC. That would require retuning. That's not a difficult thing to do in this day and age particularly with 96-newer vehicles that don't "require" a chip. Once you get the thing running, if you find there are issues like this that you need to go away with a tune, contact Adam Marrer of POPSRACING in NJ. He's one of the foremost experts at Ford EECs and should be able to do what you need.

As for Thanksgiving, I've got similar plans as you. I've got a 331 that's been sitting on the engine stand far too long just waiting to go into the engine bay. The plan is to do it over that break. I'm crossing my fingers that I can get the old engine pulled, new engine dropped in, and have her running well enough to drive to work that following Monday. I doubt I'll have all the NatGas stuff done by then, but I should have the engine running gasoline by then and hopefully a good bit of the NatGas stuff mounted and in place.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

There is a very handy chart I use for reference on the home page at TRS, it compares Ranger/Explorer differences over the years for VSS location, fuel rail style, and PATS style.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... anger.html
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
josht

Post by josht »

I am very aware of that chart on TRS but thanks for suggesting it. FWIW I'm a member of most Ranger sites under the same user name.

The wiring diagram I have shows the vss wire on the ecu connecting to the abs module. IIRC the evtm showed the same thing but I don't have it available atm. If I swapped to the 97 ecu wouldn't I have to repin the harness?

Tuning isn't a problem, I just want to have it running before I mess with that.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

You'd need the 97 wiring diagrams to know for sure if the VSS got moved. But things solidified quite a bit as it relates to pins and what they were used for in the later years. I wouldn't be surprised if the VSS from ABS and VSS from a VSS sensor are the same pin. What I have no clue on is if the VSS sensor sends anywhere near the same signal the ABS unit does. My guess is it doesn't. IIRC, the VSS is variable reluctance sensor. If the ABS is relaying a signal, it's most likely a PWM (square wave) type signal.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
josht

Post by josht »

I know the signal from the rear wheel speed sensor to the abs module is different than the earlier vss signal sent from the transmission to the ecu. As I understand it the RWSS signal to the abs module is a square wave, but it is covnerted somehow before being sent to the ecu. I just don't know what it is converted to, or if it might be same as the older vss signal. I think I recall reading it was different, but I can't remember for sure.