explorer harness help

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Blk87
SM: No

explorer harness help

Post by Blk87 »

Hi guys its been a long time. I got the bug again when I help'd a friend do a 5.3 in a sonoma.so I found a real clean 96 splash 3.0 with automatic trans. I have a 4r70w trans from another project that I would like to use. Now all of my old stuff is for a manual T5 with the computer from a 90 5.0. My options are use the 90 comp and shift the auto trans with a bauman box for 600 bucks or do a explorer harness. could you guys bring me up to speed on that option useing the explorer stuff thanks good to be back...... Joe
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: explorer harness help

Post by cgrey8 »

You know your options with the Baumann route. And to be honest, this easily could be the cheaper route to go.

However depending on what direction you are willing to with the engine will dictate what EEC is best. If you do go the Explorer harness and you don't mind basically building an Explorer-like 5.0L complete with coil packs, Explorer timing cover holding a crank sensor, Explorer balancer to get you a balancer ring, and Explorer cam position sensor. With all that in place, go with an Explorer EEC and you know the computer will control the 4R70w. But unless your engine IS a stock Explorer 5.0L, you'll need to retune it to get the engine to run and idle right. You can go all out and get a Moates Quarterhorse, BinaryEditor, EEC Analyzer, a def file, and preferably a Wideband too (easily $900 after labor having a WB bung welded in) and do most of the retuning yourself which is quite a lot of fun if you enjoy that kind of thing. Or you could send off what you know about your engine to a tuner and have them burn you a chip and thus forego buying all the tuning stuff I just mentioned.

If "upgrading" your setup with coil packs, crank sensor, balancer ring, and Explorer cam position sensor isn't a direction you want to go, then the next-closest EEC to do what you need is the 94-95 Mustang 5.0L EEC (CBAZA). The CBAZAs that came on automatic Mustangs controlled AODEs, but it doesn't take much to convert the solenoids in a 4R70w with AODE solenoids so the transmission looks like an AODE from the EEC. CBAZAs also control black module TFIs, so if your dizzys all have gray modules, you'd need to swap that out. Older dizzys with gray TFIs can accept black TFIs no problem. And again the same tuning options mentioned above are available. I love DIY tuning, but I realize it isn't for everybody. Some people just want to drive the car and don't want to dive into what it takes to tune a vehicle.

Anyway, those are the options I'm aware of for getting a 4R70w to work with older stuff.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Blk87

Re: explorer harness help

Post by Blk87 »

Ok grey thanks Bauman box is the way I'll go thanks for the reply.