Clutch set up question

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

huddy

Clutch set up question

Post by huddy »

Hello all, I am currently in the process of switching my 83 ranger from a C-4 to a T-5. My question is how do I set up the hydraulic clutch on it or should I try to make the cable set up work? The 5 speed is from a 92 Mustang.
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Clutch set up question

Post by cgrey8 »

There are a couple options. Just search around, but here's the thread where I used 100% stock equipment to make my setup work. The catch is I did have to borrow a piece from my V6's concentric clutch slave to use with my T5 external slave setup. Here are the details complete with pics:
Parts needed to adapt the T5 into the Ranger
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
85 ranger btm

Post by 85 ranger btm »

this is my set up. its an external slave from an 84 ranger with a 2.9 v6. The line that goes from the clutch slave to the clutch master cylinder i used a braided stainless steel line with an adapter piece from russel performance this is the part from summitracing.com Russell Performance 640281 - Russell Clutch Adapter Fittings
Attachments
you can't really see in the pic but the push rod on the slave fits right into the stock early 90's mustang clutch fork
you can't really see in the pic but the push rod on the slave fits right into the stock early 90's mustang clutch fork
slave 3.jpg (44.77 KiB) Viewed 10287 times
slave 2.jpg
slave 2.jpg (42.04 KiB) Viewed 10287 times
slave.jpg
slave.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 10287 times
85 ranger btm

Post by 85 ranger btm »

this is the fitting and you can't see because the o-ring is covering it but there is a lip on the fitting the arrow in the pic is pointing at it. the lip will need to be filed down slightly to fit in the slave and master because i think the fitting was meant for a jeep and its the only one i could find that would work.
Attachments
slave fitting.png
slave fitting.png (116.05 KiB) Viewed 10287 times
huddy

Post by huddy »

Thanks for all the help guys! I was just thinking today at work that the older camaros and firebirds used a T-5 tranny with a hydraulic clutch. I am not sure if it would work, just a random thought?
Raynger

Post by Raynger »

So do the 2005+ 4.0 mustangs. They use an internal slave on a t-5. I haven't found anyone who has swapped one to a 5.0 t-5 though. I'm thinking about giving it a try, but not sure I'll be getting to it for a few months though.
1988 Ford Ranger XLT - Stock injected 95 mustang Gt motor, 95 T-5 trans and wheels.
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

Here is a fitting that bolts right to the Ford master cyl (and slave that 85 ranger and I are using)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640281/

Russell Performance 640281
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

as far as the clutch line fittings.. i had some made by a buddy of mine... and i can get more made too . he made mine for free... but i can get them made WAY cheaper then you can get them anywhere else .. so.. if yall need any... let me know an ill put in an order with him ... mine fit PERFECTLY... no trimming or grinding or anything...
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
huddy

Post by huddy »

Grumpy, I would be interested in those fittings. I also found a hydraulic throwout bearing by RAM clutches for the T-5, anyone used this?
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Huddy..... aight .. ill drop by his work tomorrow (Monday) an get him to make me a few if he still has the file on his CNC .. ill let ya know something as soon as i get word from him .....
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
huddy

Post by huddy »

Thank you very much.