Major wiring issues

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Lutt3
SM: No

Major wiring issues

Post by Lutt3 »

HI guys,

Thanks to malcolm getting me registered i am new on the forum.

Now! my brother has a 95 ranger 2wd that had a 3.0 in it. He payed a guy to install a 5.0 in it. it is a mass air motor not speed density from a 89ish t-bird. the original plan was it was going to be a toy but, then life happened and now it is an every day work truck. the wiring on this thin is a NIGHTMARE. The solider joints are the size and shape of peas. The fuel pump would not turn on so the guy stuck the power wire into the relay box. YES stripped the wire back and stuck in the box. and many more things to tell. Has anyone done this swap from a 3.0 to a 5.0 and tried to wire the motor into the truck harness and not just install switches to turn everything on? Does any one have good wiring diagrams? fords diagrams are a joke.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Mojor wiring issues

Post by cgrey8 »

When I did my swap, I bought both the Ford EVTMs as well as the wiring diagrams. I found the EVTMs to be near worthless for what I was doing. But I found the wiring diagrams to be dead-on and quite accurate for everything I used them for.

My swap was for an 89 Ranger. The wiring harness was the main and injector harness from supposedly a Mustang, but the colors of the harness didn't match the Mustang wiring harness so I just assumed my V8 harness was from either a similar vehicle or a different year Mustang. So what I had to do was do a point-to-point checkout of every wire in the harness to figure out what colors went where. Then I went to a junkyard and clipped the Ranger connectors off another Ranger and spliced them into this harness. When I was done, the modified V8 harness plugged right into my Ranger like it was factory. But it did take completely disassembling the entire harness, identifying every wire and a LOT of rerouting/lengthening/shortening to make it work like I wanted it. I've been daily-driving the thing since 2006 with no issues with the harness.

As it relates to the fuel pump, I didn't have any issues with the fuel pump, but I did find that the way the Mustang did the wiring of the fuel pump and the way the Ranger did it was different. I don't recall the details, but I do remember noticing the difference and when I was in the wiring harness making my changes, I setup to simply make it work. The way I have it wired now, the EEC controls the fuel pump relay. The fuel pump relay feeds power to the fuel pump. The only difference between the way it was is the inertia switch used to be wired in series with the actual fuel pump power line. Instead, I wired it so that it is inline with the lead from the EEC to the fuel pump relay. It still functions as intended, it's just in a different circuit.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Lutt3

Post by Lutt3 »

Thanks for the run down. I have no idea how the guy came up with this setup. It is a mess. do you have pictures of how yours looks. If you would not mind sharing.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Here's a few:
Truck1.JPG
MAF_Setup.jpg
EngineBay.jpg
V8RangerPlate.JPG
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org