aod transmission question

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

painterdude923

aod transmission question

Post by painterdude923 »

I have a AOD that I got from a buddy that I am going to rebuild. I am trying to find out what year it is so I can order the right rebuild kit. he said it was either out of 88 or 89 mustang. does anyone know how I can be sure?
plowboy34
SM: No

Re: aod transmission question

Post by plowboy34 »

Doesn't matter what year, the AOD was pretty much the same trans through out it's life and most if not all kits will cover all of them.

Two things to do for sure in my opinion

1- make sure the trans has the 1-2-D-OD manual shift and not the 1-D-OD shift pattern, it is a pain when trying to race with the 1-D-OD pattern, it can be done but you have to do the shuttle shift to keep it in 2nd gear. The shuttle shift is when you upshift out of first you have to yank shifter back to first to keep it in second. Just make sure when you move the shifter linkage that it has P-R-N-OD-D-2-1...it should have 7 positions and not 6 positions. I will never install one with just the 6 positions again.

2- Install a RV shift kit if this is a street truck. You don't need one any stronger IF it is a street truck. That is what I alway's use and it will bark second gear with 3:08 gears no problem and will do it without slamming the truck to death. Now if your racing it only then a better one is a must but if a daily driver I do not reccomend anything stronger.

The AOD will hold up to some decent power but if your running say over 350 ponies there is some upgrades you should do, if your below that and your not just gonna be slamming trans constantly then it is an OK trans. I run them and love them, they perform good and really help the gas mileage thing.

I know this is more info than you asked for but that's just my opinion on the AOD
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)