New guy with a few questions about these cool swaps

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

My95tang5.0

New guy with a few questions about these cool swaps

Post by My95tang5.0 »

Hello,

Suppose I should introduce myself and fill everyone in on my background. My name is Jesse and I have been cursed with living in Decatur, Indiana. For any serious gear heads out there this is home to Lingenfelter Performance Engineering, and you can hear the dyno bays across town. Yes they are that loud and yes this town is that small. Everyone and their cousin has some form a ridiculous horsepower car/truck here and it is hard to keep up! Toss in the 1000+ HP Camaros, Corvettes, and other machines LPE is turning out and running around town and you have the perfect mixture to keep the local law enforcement busy 24-7.

I have tore down and restored six vehicles in the last five years. the last being a dodge Durango I picked up for 1000.00 and just sold about 2 weeks ago.
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/sho ... p?t=133767
HU Upgrade:
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/sho ... p?t=145978

I have not really built a performance ONLY car/truck. I have always been into (and probably always will be) an audiophile of an SQ nature. I joined this forum in preparation for a future project.

The next project I will beginning will be a full termination of my 95 GTS. Anyone who is not familiar with the swap, this is simply gutting my 95 Mustang 5.0 H.O in it's entirety (all wires, lines, components, even the door locks and trunk release (everything)) and placing an 03/04 SVT Cobra's guts in its place. It is not too complicated with a complete donor. The performance upgrades (and the custom 4R70W) are the only real PITA issues as it requires non-oem integration. A fellow Hoosier (Dave) pulled it off here: http://forums.corral.net/forums/94-95-t ... rsion.html

What to do with that entire 95 5.0 setup????? Well my good buddy is about ready to step off of his 2002 Ranger and would let it go to me pretty cheap. It has the F2445C (4.0) currently with a 5R55E tranny (Yup, it is 4wd). I am considering a rebuild of the 5.0 with a C/H/I upgrade and plopping it into the ranger.

I have done as much googling as I could, but am not having much luck on getting a direct answer on:

What all I will need to swap into the truck to make it work PROPERLY. I never halfass anything.
What modding I will need to do to make it fit, and where I can go to get (if any) the conversion kits to do this.

I am not afraid of digging up the Ranger wire diagram and marrying the two systems together. I have done it on past swaps. I can work any metal with the exception of aluminum (never mastered the welding on that), so body mods are not an issue.
Long story short I need to be schooled on these trucks so I can do this right the first time. More questions will come down the road (rear end strength, 4wd etc...) but for now I would like to start with the probability of integrating the 95 into an 02.

Thanks you for any and all advise in this venture,

Jesse
95 Mustang-
Performance- Eibach Coils, tube K-Member, Cobra brakes with Stoptech rotors. Work in progress.
Audio-DVA-9965; Tuned by H701/C701; Focal Utopia 3-way on PPI PC2150;Morel M428 on PPI PC2100; Sub JL 10W6v2 on PPI PC1400 Special Edition
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: New guy with a few questions about these cool swaps

Post by cgrey8 »

With enough time, effort, skill, and of course budget, anything is possible. But this is going to be a challenge mainly because it is a 4wd. 2wd V8 Ranger conversions for someone in your position would not be that big of a deal. The biggest complication would be dealing with an older engine and computer going into a vehicle with so much computer controlled stuff (ABS, trans, dash, emissions crap, etc). Since the trans you have is out of the question, you'll need to find a 4wd trans and xfer case capable of handling the torque an H/C/I 5.0L can put to it. My personal recommendation on the build is keep in mind this is for a truck, not a car. So traditional big cam & big heads may not be the direction you want to go. Instead you may want to think lower RPM stroker which may mean ported stock heads, ported stock intake, and a truck-oriented big lift cam, not a wide duration cam. But that's another topic altogether and depending on what you plan to do with the truck, you can always get a higher stall converter to handle more aggressive cams, but fuel economy's thrown right out the winder. Fuel econony goes to crap on a car with built high stall engines, it gets even worse on a 4wd.

Anyway moving on, I'd say the biggest places you'll need to investigate are going to be how you'll handle dealing with a computer controlled ABS and dash OR rip out the stock stuff and install dash components that are compatible with the era engine and computer you are transplanting.

Other challenges are going to be things like oil pan clearance on a 4wd. A 4wd/AWD Explorer's 5.0L oil pan may be what you want...don't know. And you may need to look into fuel pump differences as most newer vehicles are returnless and your engine is likely a return style.

As for headers, I don't recall what it is that works for the newer body style Rangers. But it sounds like you can fab up whatever you need to make something work. Go into the project assuming you'll need custom headers. And if you find there is an off-the-shelf header that will work in those year Rangers, then BONUS!!

I'm sure there's a ton more things to mention. But that should get you enough to start thinking.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
My95tang5.0

Post by My95tang5.0 »

First off I want to say "Thank You" for taking the time to fill me in on all of the small details that may arise. Being a step-by-step guy I need to respond to your reply in text or what I say will make no sense to anyone, even me. :? Guess that is the way I am wired.
cgrey8 wrote:With enough time, effort, skill, and of course budget, anything is possible. But this is going to be a challenge mainly because it is a 4wd. 2wd V8 Ranger conversions for someone in your position would not be that big of a deal.
Are there trans cases that fit in these trucks that were also used in the F150? I know my TCM will control a 4R70W however marrying that tranny to a T-case and then to the truck of a newer year, yeah that will take some blueprinting.
cgrey8 wrote: The biggest complication would be dealing with an older engine and computer going into a vehicle with so much computer controlled stuff (ABS, trans, dash, emissions crap, etc).
Emissions is NOT an issue in Indiana. Which is why most people register their custom cars here 8) The other stuff Might take some thinking. I was hoping to approach it with the 95 ECM, TCM and supporting sensors for the engine, tranny, exhaust, etc.. then decide whether or not to integrate my 95 gauges, or marry up the harnesses to use the 2002 setup. That can be tricky when it comes to the odometer as well as a couple other dash parts and the 95 TCM. I am still pretty sure I can run the engine though. I can easily swap the dash/main harness from the car to the truck, however it is a matter of getting the old to marry up with the new. I have an engineering friend who is a wiz at this stuff. I may contact him and just make one hell of a writeup on here when the project gets going. In the mean time I will be looking out for aftermarket kits.
cgrey8 wrote: Since the trans you have is out of the question, you'll need to find a 4wd trans and xfer case capable of handling the torque an H/C/I 5.0L can put to it. My personal recommendation on the build is keep in mind this is for a truck, not a car. So traditional big cam & big heads may not be the direction you want to go. Instead you may want to think lower RPM stroker which may mean ported stock heads, ported stock intake, and a truck-oriented big lift cam, not a wide duration cam. But that's another topic altogether and depending on what you plan to do with the truck, you can always get a higher stall converter to handle more aggressive cams, but fuel economy's thrown right out the winder. Fuel economy goes to crap on a car with built high stall engines, it gets even worse on a 4wd.
As far as the tranny goes I was pretty set on the 4R70W as it was used in the 1993–1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, 1993–2003 Ford F-Series, 1994–1997 Ford Thunderbird, 1995–2004 Ford Crown Victoria, 1996–2001 Ford Explorer, 1993–2004 Lincoln Town Car, 1994–1997 Mercury Cougar, 1995–2004 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2003 Mercury Marauder, 1997–2004 Ford Expedition, 1997–2001 Mercury Mountaineer,and last but not least the 1996–2004 Ford Mustang. Even though they were used from 96-04 on the mustangs, they will bold up to mine directly. They also work with nearly all F series t-cases and Explorer t-cases. I know the tranny can handle the extra power (especially with some small mods and spline swapping), it is the t-cases I will have to look into. Maybe Dana makes something that will replace a weaker OEM t-case. Again I will have to look into that. I have found that the 1997 5.0L Explorer used the 4W70R tranny and the 4.0 version used the 5R55E. Looking at the housing on both the ranger and the Explorer there is very, very little difference on tranny fitment. The 4W70R should fit and bolt in well using the older explorer cross member. Knowing my engine will bolt to the tranny, it is only a matter of seeing if the Explorer transfer cases are able to fit in there and bolt in.

What are your thought on the GT40 heads as an optional upgrade?

It probably is not possible, but a 4 wheel roast would be pretty badass. This will be a delicate decision as this truck will be more for sport (like the Lightning) than for towing and pulling. Hell I might even consider eliminating the 4wd and going 2wd.

cgrey8 wrote: Anyway moving on, I'd say the biggest places you'll need to investigate are going to be how you'll handle dealing with a computer controlled ABS and dash OR rip out the stock stuff and install dash components that are compatible with the era engine and computer you are transplanting.
I agree with you here. I looked into it a bit and it seems that along with a small suspension upgrade I may be able to put my Cobra R all wheel disk setup onto the truck. I am sure 13" fronts and 9" rears could be a bit excessive for the truck, but like you said "keep in mind this is for a truck, not a car." I do need to keep that in mind. Maybe it is not enough, although a direct swap would solve the ABS issue. As for the dash.........that damn dash.
cgrey8 wrote: Other challenges are going to be things like oil pan clearance on a 4wd. A 4wd/AWD Explorer's 5.0L oil pan may be what you want...don't know. And you may need to look into fuel pump differences as most newer vehicles are returnless and your engine is likely a return style.
I am not 100% either but I think you are correct on the AWD Explorer pan. I will have to mind the O2 sensor placement as it comes down the exhaust. Some companies think that ford O2 sensors need to be on the inside of pipes, not sure why. I also think Moroso makes a low profile pan as well. I planned on replacing the entire fuel system anyway. This should remedy the feed/return issue. A good pair of pumps and a 8 feed 6 return will feed that thirsty beast well.
cgrey8 wrote: As for headers, I don't recall what it is that works for the newer body style Rangers. But it sounds like you can fab up whatever you need to make something work. Go into the project assuming you'll need custom headers. And if you find there is an off-the-shelf header that will work in those year Rangers, then BONUS!!
I can fab about anything up. Headers should not be an issue to make. Even if I can find something close that fits I can easily go from there. More research on headers that may work on these. Do you know what others have ran on 5.0s in these trucks?

Thanks again for the awesome advise. I will start the research and see what I can come up with.

Jesse
95 Mustang-
Performance- Eibach Coils, tube K-Member, Cobra brakes with Stoptech rotors. Work in progress.
Audio-DVA-9965; Tuned by H701/C701; Focal Utopia 3-way on PPI PC2150;Morel M428 on PPI PC2100; Sub JL 10W6v2 on PPI PC1400 Special Edition
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

My95tang5.0 wrote:...Are there trans cases that fit in these trucks that were also used in the F150? I know my TCM will control a 4R70W however marrying that tranny to a T-case and then to the truck of a newer year, yeah that will take some blueprinting...
There was a guy a few years back that posted pics from a 4.6L 4wd/AWD swap he did where he used the trans and Xfer from an AWD Expedition. So keep that option in mind. Otherwise, I don't know anything on that topic for sure.
My95tang5.0 wrote:...As far as the tranny goes I was pretty set on the 4R70W as it was used in the 1993–1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, 1993–2003 Ford F-Series, 1994–1997 Ford Thunderbird, 1995–2004 Ford Crown Victoria, 1996–2001 Ford Explorer, 1993–2004 Lincoln Town Car, 1994–1997 Mercury Cougar, 1995–2004 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2003 Mercury Marauder, 1997–2004 Ford Expedition, 1997–2001 Mercury Mountaineer,and last but not least the 1996–2004 Ford Mustang. Even though they were used from 96-04 on the mustangs, they will bold up to mine directly. They also work with nearly all F series t-cases and Explorer t-cases. I know the tranny can handle the extra power (especially with some small mods and spline swapping), it is the t-cases I will have to look into...
Be sure which 4R70w you get. From what I've heard any of them can be made to hold power, but in stock form, the 4R70w didn't get "stout" until around 98 when they got some kind of redesign and most people recommend sticking with 98-newer to ensure you get the stronger ones. The problem is the 98-newer usually don't have a VSS/speedo cable provision because the EEC got vehicle speed from the ABS system, and then the EEC commanded the dash speedmenter. The fix for that is to swap the tailshaft for one that has a VSS sensor provision.
My95tang5.0 wrote:...Maybe Dana makes something that will replace a weaker OEM t-case...
While I'm sure it is possible, I've never heard of people trashing Xfer cases with too much power. Although I do recall the Explorer AWD xfer case uses a viscous clutch, not a direct line to the wheels. This allowed for slippage during turns while keeping all 4 wheels engaged...similar to a limited slip setup between the front and rearend. The earlier Explorer xfer cases did have minor problems with those vlscous clutches going out. But I don't think the problem was rampant. But it may arise on an engine built larger than stock AND driven like it.
My95tang5.0 wrote:...What are your thought on the GT40 heads as an optional upgrade?...
It depends on which GT40 heads you are talking about. The stock production GT40 heads used on Cobras are nice heads. They were specially machined to tighter spec by SVT. And when ported can flow a decent amount of air. But even in stock form, do well as an upgrade to E7TE heads. The GT40p heads are actually better than the stock GT40 heads in stock form even with the smaller exhaust valve. But when either are ported by someone that knows where NOT to port, the GT40 can outflow the GT40p. But they are close. When you compare the GT40 head to other aftermarket heads, there's no comparison. Aftermarket is going to beat it almost every time. A nice set of RHS cast irons or AFR185s are your best bang. But the best bang-for-the-buck is going to be TFS TW heads...at least they used to be. I don't know how their prices compare today. For my 331 stroker, I ported the Explorer's stock GT40p heads, had them planed flat and then cc-matched the chambers to within .3ccs of each other. That was a lot of work, but I enjoyed it. I don't think the average person would've had the patience to fill and dump the chambers as many times as I did.
My95tang5.0 wrote:...It probably is not possible, but a 4 wheel roast would be pretty badass...
Best 4 wheel roast I've ever seen was an AWD Subaru WRT with some 500+HP. There's a video around here somewhere of it. The thing is absolutely impressive. Don't expect a Ranger, even with 500 HP to do that. But there's no doubt that a 4wd/AWD Ranger will pull and do so far faster off the line than most sports cars would expect. I think Chevy back in the 90s build a 4wd S10 that had enough power to beat the Corvette in the 1/8th mile purely because it could get off the line faster. I think it was called the S10 Cyclone? Google for it. But it's a testament to what AWD in a truck can do.

My95tang5.0 wrote:...This will be a delicate decision as this truck will be more for sport (like the Lightning) than for towing and pulling. Hell I might even consider eliminating the 4wd and going 2wd...
That's completely up to you. I like the 4wd/AWD idea, but I'm not going to lie and say it'll be straight forward. Even when you get a solid battle plan of what pieces will work together. There's still be the cost of procuring all those pieces and you may find the cost just can't be justified. However nothing says you can't build it out to be 2wd. Then later convert it back to 4wd or AWD.

My95tang5.0 wrote:...I looked into it a bit and it seems that along with a small suspension upgrade I may be able to put my Cobra R all wheel disk setup onto the truck. I am sure 13" fronts and 9" rears could be a bit excessive for the truck, but like you said "keep in mind this is for a truck, not a car." I do need to keep that in mind. Maybe it is not enough, although a direct swap would solve the ABS issue. As for the dash.........that damn dash...
Most people that run CobraR wheels also upgrade the rearend to an Explorer 8.8" which has disc brakes. But most of those people were swapping out a 4 cylinder's little 7.5" rear. Just keep in mind the swap of an Explorer rear into a Ranger is not bolt-in. The shock mounts are in the wrong places, cabling for parking brake is different, and I think the spring perches are not in the same place. Minor issues for someone that can fab, but things to be aware of. The other benefit to Explorer rears are that they use 31 splice axles. The axles on Rangers (7.5" or 8.8") are 28 spline. Your Ranger with a 4.0L likely already has an 8.8" rear which is more than capable of handling a V8 as-is. Swapping it out for an Explorer's 8.8" is a lot of work just to get disc brakes.

There's a small chance you may be able to unbold the entire drum housing and have the disc setup bolt right to your Ranger's rear. I don't know anybody that has done this, but it is an option I would certainly be investigating before I went ripping out a perfectly good 8.8" that's already in place.

Either way you go, make sure to install some James Duff traction bars...or similar fabrication. They are worth every penny on a Ranger.
My95tang5.0 wrote:...Do you know what others have ran on 5.0s in these trucks?...
I don't. The GT40p heads have the altered plug angle requiring special headers. FMS made Explorer headers to fit the GT40p heads. But with standard heads, a standard Mustang header can be made to work with modifications. In older Rangers, the interference with Mustang headers was always with the passenger side frame rail. A notch in the frame needed to be cut to allow the exhaust pipe to get up to the header. In Rangers as new as yours, I don't know. There's torsion bars and a rack-n-pinion in the mix on those and I just don't know what's in the way and what isn't.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
My95tang5.0

Post by My95tang5.0 »

cgrey8 wrote:There was a guy a few years back that posted pics from a 4.6L 4wd/AWD swap he did where he used the trans and Xfer from an AWD Expedition. So keep that option in mind. Otherwise, I don't know anything on that topic for sure.
That is outstanding information. An AWD swap would definitely eliminate most of the issues at hand. I can just marry up the TCM of the newer to the old and call it a day at that point.
cgrey8 wrote: Be sure which 4R70w you get. From what I've heard any of them can be made to hold power, but in stock form, the 4R70w didn't get "stout" until around 98 when they got some kind of redesign and most people recommend sticking with 98-newer to ensure you get the stronger ones. The problem is the 98-newer usually don't have a VSS/speedo cable provision because the EEC got vehicle speed from the ABS system, and then the EEC commanded the dash speedmenter. The fix for that is to swap the tailshaft for one that has a VSS sensor provision.
Referring to the AWD setup above I am sure I would not need to worry about finding the 4R70W.
Yes, the 98 and newer ran a nice sealed input 31 spline input shaft as well as a 23 spline midshaft (Lockup models). Non-lockup has just the one shaft and handles more power. It has few other well built goodies. Thank you for that insightful information on the VSS/speedo cable! I had no idea of it or a work around on it.
cgrey8 wrote: While I'm sure it is possible, I've never heard of people trashing Xfer cases with too much power. Although I do recall the Explorer AWD xfer case uses a viscous clutch, not a direct line to the wheels. This allowed for slippage during turns while keeping all 4 wheels engaged...similar to a limited slip setup between the front and rear end. The earlier Explorer xfer cases did have minor problems with those viscous clutches going out. But I don't think the problem was rampant. But it may arise on an engine built larger than stock AND driven like it.
Off topic to this response but would an AWD setup require a front axle swap too? I will di my best to keep the HP to a minimum, 350-400 at the wheels.
cgrey8 wrote:It depends on which GT40 heads you are talking about. The stock production GT40 heads used on Cobras are nice heads. They were specially machined to tighter spec by SVT. And when ported can flow a decent amount of air. But even in stock form, do well as an upgrade to E7TE heads. The GT40p heads are actually better than the stock GT40 heads in stock form even with the smaller exhaust valve. But when either are ported by someone that knows where NOT to port, the GT40 can outflow the GT40p. But they are close. When you compare the GT40 head to other aftermarket heads, there's no comparison. Aftermarket is going to beat it almost every time. A nice set of RHS cast irons or AFR185s are your best bang. But the best bang-for-the-buck is going to be TFS TW heads...at least they used to be. I don't know how their prices compare today. For my 331 stroker, I ported the Explorer's stock GT40p heads, had them planed flat and then cc-matched the chambers to within .3ccs of each other. That was a lot of work, but I enjoyed it. I don't think the average person would've had the patience to fill and dump the chambers as many times as I did.
Thank you for the awesome info on those different heads. Honestly I was only really familiar with the stang heads, not the explorer version. I want to make this a semi budget build, so I do not plan to spend 2-3k on the engine where I will need to put the money in important places, like proper part selection. Like you said.
cgrey8 wrote:Best 4 wheel roast I've ever seen was an AWD Subaru WRT with some 500+HP. There's a video around here somewhere of it. The thing is absolutely impressive. Don't expect a Ranger, even with 500 HP to do that. But there's no doubt that a 4wd/AWD Ranger will pull and do so far faster off the line than most sports cars would expect. I think Chevy back in the 90s build a 4wd S10 that had enough power to beat the Corvette in the 1/8th mile purely because it could get off the line faster. I think it was called the S10 Cyclone? Google for it. But it's a testament to what AWD in a truck can do.
I have owned a couple subarus and most of my buddies do as well. I am very familiar with the video. That guy actually owns DC shoes ;) You are correct on the S-10, it was the Cyclone. I have built up a couple of those as well. They are 4.3ltr turbo charged engines. They did walk over the LT1 back in the day, but the new vettes are just amazing.
cgrey8 wrote: That's completely up to you. I like the 4wd/AWD idea, but I'm not going to lie and say it'll be straight forward. Even when you get a solid battle plan of what pieces will work together. There's still be the cost of procuring all those pieces and you may find the cost just can't be justified. However nothing says you can't build it out to be 2wd. Then later convert it back to 4wd or AWD.
I am with you, I am still in favor of the 4WD/AWD idea. More so the AWD :) That just sounds badass. I can find a donor and swap what I need over. I would rather do it right the first time. Like the old saying goes "If you don't have time do do it right the first time how will you ever find time to do it again later on!"
cgrey8 wrote:Most people that run CobraR wheels also upgrade the rearend to an Explorer 8.8" which has disc brakes. But most of those people were swapping out a 4 cylinder's little 7.5" rear. Just keep in mind the swap of an Explorer rear into a Ranger is not bolt-in. The shock mounts are in the wrong places, cabling for parking brake is different, and I think the spring perches are not in the same place. Minor issues for someone that can fab, but things to be aware of. The other benefit to Explorer rears are that they use 31 splice axles. The axles on Rangers (7.5" or 8.8") are 28 spline. Your Ranger with a 4.0L likely already has an 8.8" rear which is more than capable of handling a V8 as-is. Swapping it out for an Explorer's 8.8" is a lot of work just to get disc brakes.
I also did not know the 4.0 had the 8.8 rear end. Yeah, why swap out a perfectly good rear axel. Thank you for that catch!
cgrey8 wrote: There's a small chance you may be able to unbold the entire drum housing and have the disc setup bolt right to your Ranger's rear. I don't know anybody that has done this, but it is an option I would certainly be investigating before I went ripping out a perfectly good 8.8" that's already in place.

I will look into that a bit. Very true, Don't wanna go one way and not be able to go back.
cgrey8 wrote: Either way you go, make sure to install some James Duff traction bars...or similar fabrication. They are worth every penny on a Ranger.
I figured I would need a little stiffening to help get the force to the ground. Thanks for the Brand, I will add that to the parts list.
cgrey8 wrote:I don't. The GT40p heads have the altered plug angle requiring special headers. FMS made Explorer headers to fit the GT40p heads. But with standard heads, a standard Mustang header can be made to work with modifications. In older Rangers, the interference with Mustang headers was always with the passenger side frame rail. A notch in the frame needed to be cut to allow the exhaust pipe to get up to the header. In Rangers as new as yours, I don't know. There's torsion bars and a rack-n-pinion in the mix on those and I just don't know what's in the way and what isn't.
Would a tubular k-member help with this at all?I know the current oem headers on my 5.0 hug the block pretty tight and need to clear some pretty tight spots, like the steering shaft and shock towers. I would only worry they would not drop down far enough for a ranger.

On a side note I did not realize this but the ranger and the 95 stang have steering wheels and components. The inside portion of both bezels are pretty close as well.

95 Mustang-
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Welcome Jessie! Quite a few of us here have Mustangs. I just got back from the Indy time trials with a bunch of Roush owners.
Converting the rear brakes on a 8.8 to disc's is rather easy. This is a good write up of how.
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/engine-d ... r-end.html
Not sure about the front to larger, have to dig. Most of the people going to the 31 spline Explorer rear end have the 4x4's for off road use with big tires, think they need the stronger axles for the torque increase. The stock explorer 5.0L motor mounts are what to use for a 4x4. Same for the Explorer oil pan/pick-up. Most find the 4.0L radiator works with mild builds.
Headers are always a problem with the 98+ Rangers. The front suspention changed enough that the Mustang headers that used to work, don't anymore. Header selection really limited to the discontinued FRPP ones (Chris has a set on his), the stock Explorer manifolds (tube type suck) or the expensive Torque Monster headers.
Always get the Helms wiring diagrams for your truck and the donor.
Stock Explorer cast iron manifolds
Torque Monster headers
Some have managed to get a set of Mustang Pypes headers in but had to raise the motor a couple of inches and move the steering gear and add some u-joints.
Wiring is going to be the problem like Chris said but can be done.

Pictures of the front removed and a guy making his own headers to fit a 351 in a late model, shows the clearance problems. It's even tighter with a 4x4.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
My95tang5.0

Post by My95tang5.0 »

Dave wrote:Welcome Jesse! Quite a few of us here have Mustangs. I just got back from the Indy time trials with a bunch of Roush owners.
Converting the rear brakes on a 8.8 to disc's is rather easy. This is a good write up of how.
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/engine-d ... r-end.html
Not sure about the front to larger, have to dig. Most of the people going to the 31 spline Explorer rear end have the 4x4's for off road use with big tires, think they need the stronger axles for the torque increase. The stock explorer 5.0L motor mounts are what to use for a 4x4. Same for the Explorer oil pan/pick-up. Most find the 4.0L radiator works with mild builds.
Headers are always a problem with the 98+ Rangers. The front suspention changed enough that the Mustang headers that used to work, don't anymore. Header selection really limited to the discontinued FRPP ones (Chris has a set on his), the stock Explorer manifolds (tube type suck) or the expensive Torque Monster headers.
Always get the Helms wiring diagrams for your truck and the donor.
Stock Explorer cast iron manifolds
Torque Monster headers
Some have managed to get a set of Mustang Pypes headers in but had to raise the motor a couple of inches and move the steering gear and add some u-joints.
Wiring is going to be the problem like Chris said but can be done.

Pictures of the front removed and a guy making his own headers to fit a 351 in a late model, shows the clearance problems. It's even tighter with a 4x4.
Dave

Thanks Dave! I think I made my first friend on the site. Great to know there are fellow stang owners out there. Yes the wiring will be a challenge, I will have to keep these questions going. Maybe we can build a decent thread on how to do a total swap. Wiring will require a lot of planning. The other stuff can be done fairly easily when you have a bender and a damn good welder. I will opt out of gaping the block or adding knuckles to the steering shaft.
Thanks for all of the pics! They are very useful as I am building a word document (much like I already have for the 95-03/04 Cobra swap) so I can make each process as fluid as possible. Not saying I wont run into issues, but just less of them, hopefully.

Any suggestions on how you would do the wiring? Properly.
95 Mustang-
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Hey, don't sngle me out as the only friend, we have learned to all be frineds at this site. I'm pretty good at the mechanical side of things, think Chris has most of us beat when it comes to wiring and the ins/outs of the ECU. TeddyZee is another one good on the wiring, amonst several others.
Mustangs - Teddy has sharp one, Malcolm the moderator has a modified '03 Cobra, I,m running a '07 Roush 427R upgraded to the forged bottom end and the larger TVS blower.
Most people doing the later model Rangers use the Explorer motor and wiring just for the ease of all most plug and play. Another ting I remembered is to use the stock 5.0L Explorer oil filter set up instead of a remote unit. Your year is a bit different.as far as the wiring. The closest I could find was a good write up on a 2001, shouldn't be much difference.
Dave

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/ ... 86450.html
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Don't give me credit I don't deserve. My expertise is limited to EEC tuning. While I have done rewiring, I would not call myself an expert. But if you got tuning questions about the 89-93 Mustang EECs, I can probably answer any question you have and tell you more about them than you'd ever want/care to know. Now beyond the 89-93 era EECs, I can talk in generics, but not as specific.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Jesse, you have some nice projects going on there. That 94/95 to 03 conversion looks like a bit of work. I think if I was going to that much trouble I'd be putting the motor in a factory five roadster. Nice project though. I can certainly lend you some 03 cobra knowledge if you need. I've done my share of work on them over the years.

As for the Ranger let me tell you AWD is the way to go. My 94 was AWD and I daily drove it for several years and over 60k miles before selling it and what a blast. I still miss it to this day. Any weather, any light, angle of road, corner, what ever. Just stomp it and go. No fish tailing, no spinning, no BS. Not much at all will catch you off the line. I LOVED it. Not to mention if you live where it snows even more fun. Between the half and half of cleared off roads and covered ones no switching in and out of 4x4 etc. Just gas and go. Can you tell I really loved the AWD in that truck? After having it there's no way I'd ever build another V8 Ranger and not have AWD in it.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8