a mechanic question

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

evensteven

a mechanic question

Post by evensteven »

I have begun my v8 swap. i bought a 95 taurus with a blown motor, cheap! to fund my swap,I will resale it , I found a fully dressed 99 explorer 5.0l for 525.00. my question is. I have installed the 3.0l from my ranger in the taurus, changed gaskets etc, it will run however i can't get the starter to function from the key. It works from a remote switchont he starter, and will start it. i have spark and fuel. It is an automatic. I am thinking a safety switch is inhibiting it but which one, all the wires are plugged in. any suggestions to narrow it down?
plowboy34
SM: No

No Start

Post by plowboy34 »

Are you sure all plugs are plugged up. If it's an automatic there are plugs on the backside that are hard to see. If you didn't pull tranny when you did engine swap I doubt this is the problem. If you did pull tranny it could be linkage adjustment. If it's a manual it could be the clutch safety switch. Need more details to really think about this.
evensteven

thanks

Post by evensteven »

I did not pull the tranny, was going to but decided not to, i did unplug the harness, but plugged it back in, pretty sure. I agree with you, it may be the linkage, how is it adjusted, guess i use a continuity meter. which pins are it. If i take it to the Ford House it will cut into my profit margin, and that means no mid shift tremec TKO. Help
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

put the shifter in park, remove the 13mm nut on top of the manual lever comming out of the trans. make sure the trans is in park and there is no stress on the linkage. then tighten the cable (be carefull and support it or it will break). check back up lights to see if they work. also check your starter solenoid at the lf fender.
plowboy34

shifter

Post by plowboy34 »

Also see if the car will start in neutral. I have seen the switch be burn't out in park but work in neutral. You may just have to cross all the switch's at the plug and see which one will let it start, then go from there. Many way's to attack this, main thing is to start eliminating what is not wrong. It may have nothing to do with tranny stuff, it could be the ignition switch. Even the solenoid at starter could be bad...on and on and on. I know thats not what you want to hear but as I said you need to start eliminating what isn't wrong. That's what I do.
evensteven

thanks

Post by evensteven »

thanks for the the advice.
evensteven

Got It.

Post by evensteven »

It was the starter, eliminated verything else. and it was it. Thanks for the advice. I am closer to the mid-shift tremec tko now. [/i]
plowboy34

Starter

Post by plowboy34 »

Cool, glad you got it fixed. Alway's helps to have a way to make a little extra cash. Especially when you have a habbit like V8 Rangers...LOL