Sway bars

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

glenn201

Sway bars

Post by glenn201 »

I have an 87 ranger with a 302 in it an i would like to add sway bars what ones will work or is there any after market ones i can use :?:
87 ford ranger 302 4speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Sway bars

Post by cgrey8 »

I use James Duff traction bars. I have a link to them in my signature.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

The boy's truck is a 85 and we just went to junk yards and found trucks that had them. We got them cheap. We took one off of a 93 and it worked just fine but I can't remember if it was a front or rear one, I just remember it bolted right on. I'm really leaning towards it being the rear. The reason I am thinking that is I was figuring I would have to drill holes in the frame to mount them but was quite surprised when we went to mount them the frame hole was already there and in the perfect location.

Just for the record I highly recommend installing the sway bars. They made the boy's truck so much more stable, when we lowered it it helped it corner some. When we put the sway bars on it was unreal how much more stable the truck was. You will be glad you spent the money for them. As I said though we went junkyard hunting, I think we had like $100 invested into sway bars.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
glenn201

Post by glenn201 »

plowboy34 wrote:The boy's truck is a 85 and we just went to junk yards and found trucks that had them. We got them cheap. We took one off of a 93 and it worked just fine but I can't remember if it was a front or rear one, I just remember it bolted right on. I'm really leaning towards it being the rear. The reason I am thinking that is I was figuring I would have to drill holes in the frame to mount them but was quite surprised when we went to mount them the frame hole was already there and in the perfect location.

Just for the record I highly recommend installing the sway bars. They made the boy's truck so much more stable, when we lowered it it helped it corner some. When we put the sway bars on it was unreal how much more stable the truck was. You will be glad you spent the money for them. As I said though we went junkyard hunting, I think we had like $100 invested into sway bars.
was that off a 93 ranger an thanks for all the info
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Sorry, I saw bars and I thought traction. I didn't read well enough to realize you asked about sway bars. I did the same. I got mine from a yard. It came with the 8.8 rear I upgraded to. And mine was also off a 93. And as already said, if you get one off a ranger, it's a boltin solution. Just make sure you also get the brackets that hold it to the rear,all bolts-n-nuts, and the hangers that bolt to the frame.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

If I remember right my rear sway bar came from a Bronco II.
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

my 90 Ranger came with front and rear bars.... and if im not mistaken .. almost any Ranger from like 83 to 95 or so ... and bronco II and most explorer will work .... the 4WD ones are more heavy duty also .......
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
glenn201

Post by glenn201 »

thanks for the info guys im going to the junk yard this weekend
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

Yes the 93 was a Ranger. As said by cgrey8 make sure you get everything, all brackets, nuts, bolts, bushings....everything.

I asked the boy if he remembered which one it was and he seems to think it was the front one....lol. Either way we got one off a 93
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

BTW, the rear sway bars from an Explorer are not the same as Ranger/BroncoII bars. The Explorer rearend is a good bit different than a Ranger's rear including how the sway bar looks and bolts up. The Ranger's rear sway bar, when it isn't mounted to the rear, looks like an absolutely useless piece of bent-up bar stock. However when you go to install it on the rear, it makes sense why it is shaped the way it is. However the Explorer sway bars are relatively straight and look more like a traditional sway bar since they usually mount across the back of the rear end, not across the front and over the top of the differential housing the way the Ranger bars do. I'm sure you could MAKE an Explorer bar work with enough effort, but I don't know that it'd be a bolt-in solution.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

Alot of Rangers came with swaybars from the factory and so they should be very easy to find in the wrecking yards. My 94 came stock with from and rear swaybars and I put a rear one on my sons 94 reg cab when we swapped rear ends. Should be very easy to find. Good luck......Mike. :mrgreen: