bracket question

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

painterdude923

bracket question

Post by painterdude923 »

I have 1997 ranger,ext cab 2wd. 4.0 with the power steering, air conditioning. put together a nice 302 with all new everything. gonna be daily driver still just with carb and distributor. what I want to know is what brackets do I need to use to still use my original power steering and A/C? looked at explorer and its different. anyone know what would work best? what year car, model?
carvinmark
SM: No

Re: bracket question

Post by carvinmark »

Wish I could help but mine only has an alternator and thats it. Someone will be along soon to help ya out.
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I don't know either. My 97 Explorer engine was from a newer era than the 89 Ranger I put it in. None of the accessories were even close to being compatible since the Explorer is a serpentine setup and the V6 was V-belt. But my gut feeling is there aren't going to be a bracket setup to allow what you are trying to do. Most of us that want to run AC run the donor engine's AC compressor and have custom tubing made up to make it work. However there may very well be a 5.0L bracket setup out there that'll reuse your stock Ranger accessories. It'll be interesting to hear what that setup would be.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
painterdude923

Post by painterdude923 »

what about brackets from 95 mustang 302?
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

On both my 92 & 94 Rangers I reused the Ranger a/c compressor with the Explorer brackets. It's basically the exact same a/c compressor and bolts right in. Power steering was a different story. I picked up an Explorer power steering pump and plumbed it in.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

Basically, your Ranger PS pump will bolt into any bracket EXCEPT the Explorer one.
And, the Ranger AC compressor will only bolt into an Explorer bracket- the mount holes go in the opposite direction.

A '95 Mustang FEAD will work for your ps, but not your AC- and requires the specific sn95/Explorer timing cover.

The '95 Mustang or Explorer accessory brackets are ideal, and swap whichever piece you choose. Alt is different, too- Ranger fits Ex, but not Mustang. I used a '92ish Taurus 130amp alt in a Mustang bracket.

The Ex and '95 Stang FEAD are not the same depth, you cannot mix them. Both much shorter than a Fox body Mustang FEAD.
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Teddyzee wrote:The Ex and '95 Stang FEAD are not the same depth, you cannot mix them. Both much shorter than a Fox body Mustang FEAD.
I mixed them on my 92 Ranger. You just have to shim the Explorer bracket away from the block/head to align with the other bracket. I started with 95 Stang brackets but they put the a/c compressor right into the frame rail so I swapped out the one side for the Explorer bracket and shimmed to match. Worked like a charm.

On the 94 I went with full Explorer brackets.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

painterdude923 wrote:I have 1997 ranger,ext cab 2wd. 4.0 with the power steering, air conditioning. put together a nice 302 with all new everything. gonna be daily driver still just with carb and distributor. what I want to know is what brackets do I need to use to still use my original power steering and A/C? looked at explorer and its different. anyone know what would work best? what year car, model?
Use all of the FEAD from a V8 Explorer as they are a easy fit. Like Teddy and Malcom said your a/c compressor will swap right over and then you just use all of the Explorer stuff from there. What I did on my power steering was I used the Explorer pressure hose and cut the rubber part at the end where it went back to a steel line and bought a fitting from NAPA auto to connect the rubber part to a new piece of steel line and bent it to fit into my steering gear box. I used the Explorer alt. and wiring harness and hook it right up to the Ranger with no problem there.
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I used the brakets off a 90 crown vic and the p/s pump also.. Then I got a 1 wire Alt and it bolted right up..
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end