83 V8 5speed

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Teddyzee
SM: No

Re: 83 V8 5speed

Post by Teddyzee »

I think that's cool. I think the mounts are still on my old 4.0, I may grab them for future use... I have a set of those Explorer plates. There's always another way...
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I've heard a lot of people say that while this method works, it does locate the V8 high in the engine bay. So what they often do is redrill the crossmember and relocate the rubber mounts lower. And then drill the plates to match the narrower mount locations in an effort to get the engine lower. Have you seen any issue or need to do that with your setup? Keep in mind, you need access to the top two tranny bolts.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

cgrey8 wrote:I've heard a lot of people say that while this method works, it does locate the V8 high in the engine bay. So what they often do is redrill the crossmember and relocate the rubber mounts lower. And then drill the plates to match the narrower mount locations in an effort to get the engine lower. Have you seen any issue or need to do that with your setup? Keep in mind, you need access to the top two tranny bolts.
The engine sits it the truck great. There is plenty of room to get at the top bell bolts. Compairing it to my 94 Ranger that I did a V8 swap on with the Trans dapt mounts it sits them same from what I have measured. The only thing that I am questionable about is if them 4cyl. isolators will hold the 400hp engine that is going into the truck. I am going to put a limiter strap on the engine to make sure that they do. :mrgreen:
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Perhaps its the 4 cylinder mounts that locate the engine right, but it's the V6 mounts that put the engine high in the engine bay?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

cgrey8 wrote:Perhaps its the 4 cylinder mounts that locate the engine right, but it's the V6 mounts that put the engine high in the engine bay?
I have never tried to use V6 mounts so that might be the case.
The 4cyl. seem to work great though. :mrgreen:
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

Ok I have moved up to Portland, Oregon for a while and the Ranger is still in Arizona so all work has come to a sudden stop. That really stinks as I was getting close to putting the engine and trans in and trying to get it started. Well I will be working on it when I go home to visit and hopfully get it running. I will post pic when I get back home and get some work done on it. :mrgreen:
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

Well I am back in AZ now for good and I have been trying to get some work done on the Ranger. Its been going real slow as its has been very hott (110*-115*) outside here and I have to work in the direct sun light so I have been working at night.. I have decided to change the driverside header design so I can keep all of the tubing about the same length and I have also decided to make some new custom engine mounts. I was thinking that the 4cyl mounts might not hold up the the racing abuse that they will see with the V8 that is going to be sitting on them. I have a few new pics of the redesigned driverside header and will get some of the new engine mounts when I get a little further along on them.

v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Its all looking good..... I have the v6 mount still in mine ( 8 years now).. So far so good... But I dont race mine....
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

Ok I was able to get my engine mounts fitted and finished. Here are a few pics of them.