Inner cylinders rich, outer cylinders lean??

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Inner cylinders rich, outer cylinders lean??

Post by cgrey8 »

Broken lifters? Is there ANY chance he has all straight valves with that kind of damage? Probably not.

A cylinder compression test should show that. While the intake is off and he's waiting for parts, why not do the compression test? It'll be obvious which valves are trashed just by listening through the ports.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yup, I've told him about 50 times now to do a compression test and leak down test. He's just gonna do what he's gonna do lol. Oh well he's a good guy and a great friend. Just has his own way of working on cars.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If you are right enough times, maybe it'll piss him off enough to actually listen to free advice.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I was in the middle of posting this this morning and got kicked off. Would a rev limiter have reacted quick enough to prevent all of this? I know I hit about 7K once inbetween a hard shift from 2-3 but that was in my little 273 Hi-Po Dart with the solid lifters - throttle spring broke.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

He has a 6k rev limiter. The problem was the wheels spun the engine up. He was in 3rd gear topped out at 6k rpms and wanted to get it in neutral to coast back down to speed and somehow screwed up and put it in 2nd or 1st and the wheels wrapped the motor up past 8k. Happened so fast he's not entirely sure on all the details.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

I mixed up a set of lifters once. I guarantee I will never make that mistake again. Destroyed the cam. Chewed it all to hell. I disassembled just to make sure i got all the shavings out.

It is very possible that the push rods got bent from too much spring pressure and not having the correct lenght (geometry).

It is equally possible at 8K RPMS that he floated valves and smaked them with the pistons causing these problems. If this happened there could be all kinds of destruction like bent cam. Doubltful but possible.

If it were me I would be pulling the heads, Its only $50 for head gaskets and if there is a problem he will know before putting it together and screwing around trying to figure it out only to spend half a day removing it all again.
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/Ranger
09 Honda chopper http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/CB750/
99 Ram
05 Toyota Camry (4 banger)
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I've heard flat-bottom lifters and cams wear into each other. Although I never knew it was that bad. I guess that's one beauty of running roller lifters. Mix-n-match all you want...
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

BTW those pics I posted of the lifters laying around is exactly how it looked when the intake was pulled. They were not laid out like that for the pic. That's where they ended up on their own.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing