RPM jumps & rough idle & stall while in gear

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

rangerfab
SM: No

RPM jumps & rough idle & stall while in gear

Post by rangerfab »

Im having an issue with my build. When the truck turns on it idles fine at .875, then it slowly looks for an RPM from .875 -1000 and stays doing it once it warms up. It eventually dips to the point of 500-400rpm. However Once in gear the truck starts looking for an RPM a little harder & wants to stall & has no power to get it to go. Its more of a gradual take off and not an normal acceleration. In reverse it has no problems with moving and has a better response but not tire spinning response and doesnt look for an RPM. But once I put it back in gear it starts to miss & once in park it misses a little and goes back to normal idle then a light RPM movement. Since the ECU is a 2000 explorer 5.0 the VSS is currently not connected but should not affect the response of acceleration only when during shifts as to my previous 3.0 vulcan.

I have good vaccum of 15-20PSI but when it looks for an rpm it dips down to fair.
The engine has no knocking or abnormal noise to believe of something worse, like a burnt valve.

The only thing im left to think of is it could be a coolant temp sensor, or TCC tranny solenoid valve body in the tranny, or upper intake gasket. I heard there was a recall on the 97 5.0 models for the upper to lower intake gasket but cannot confirm. Or since I havent mounted my muffler yet after the race cat, not enough back pressure is being built up.
Hope someone out there can throw me a bone on what it possibly could be
Here is what I have replaced so far.
1. New IAC valve , If I disconnect it the motor dies so its working
2. New PCV valve
3. New plugs .060 gap
4. New Wires
5. New fuel Filter
6. Good voltage 14.3-14.4
7. New cam position sensor adjusted at 10 degrees BTC
8. EGR deleted & capped
9. Thermostat @ 160
10. New Belt
11. Grade A used coil pack
12. New Radiator
13. New Ford OEM Upper Intake Gasket waiting to be delivered
14. New Fuel rail returnless
15. New fuel regulator regulated at 60PSI
16. New external high pressure Fuel Pump
17. Grade A MAF sensor
18. New A/C drier canister
19. Grade A Used primary o2 sensors with secondarys disabled
20. New oil & filter
21. New tranny fluid
22. New Air Filter
23. Good Battery
24. Cleaned the throttle body with electrical parts cleaner.

Hope I get a reply to this thread, its been alot of sleepless nights.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: RPM jumps & rough idle & stall while in gear

Post by cgrey8 »

I wish I knew more about these EECs, but I don't. I would recommend you post this over on the EECtuning.org site. Even though you don't have a tuning device, they may be able to help you out if you don't get any good ideas here.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
rangerfab

Re: RPM jumps & rough idle & stall while in gear

Post by rangerfab »

I may have found my problem. I had a 97 motor & tranny & put a 2000 harness & tranny harness, ECU.They say 97 is the odd yr that had some issues on swapping but 98+ is highly recommended due to upgraded internals & better sync shifting. But the down side is that it is all computer controlled ;(. Did some research & found my answer. I will have to repin some wires on the harness but that may not be enough. There is a difference in solenoids , valve body & upgraded internals that would have to be replaced to work with the 2000 harness. Failure to do this will cause the truck irregularity in idle, stalls and possibly burn the tranny sending a false reading of the trans temp sensor & no circulation of tranny fluid, and thus causing a overheating reading on the guage cluster.

I just plan on selling my tranny & finding a 99-2000 model 4R70W AODE and just drop it in than going through the process of taking **** apart & replacing to work with the harness.

Thanks for your input