Intake gaskets??

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

carvinmark
SM: No

Intake gaskets??

Post by carvinmark »

I want to change the intake on the 88 5.0, E7 heads (not ported). I am running a carb and aluminum intake allready but want to change it around a bit. Is there something different about the gaskets from earlier 302's other then the plenum gasket? I mean like ports and water passages, are they the same or close enough to seal? I think I used a gasket kit for the 88 5.0 when I put it together. Can't sleep so I was shopping ebay for gaskets and wondering what the diff is. Thanks
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
Dave
Supporting Member

Re: Intake gaskets??

Post by Dave »

Based on my limited experience, don't know of a difference. I'm using the recommended head and intake gaskets that AFR suggested to use. FelPro 1011-2 for heads and 1250 for intake. Think those are used for both the stock heads and aftermarket, either carb intake or the Explorer one.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I believe that's the same head gasket I'm going with. The selling point on that gasket for me was the crush thickness of .039". Most all other head gaskets were thicker than that. I didn't know AFR also recommended it.

I do have 1 dumb question though. All the intake gasket sets come with an O-ring. What does that O-ring go on? It looks like it'd be about the right size for the distributor. But I find it odd that they'd package a distributor O-ring with intake gaskets. Or is it one of those deals they know you have to remove the distributor to get the intake off? So they give you that O-ring too?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

There is no difference on intake gaskets for any 289/302 ,Ford never changed anything, On the boy's truck we run a 1966 Shelby Cobra intake on a set of GT40P heads. If it's an intake for a 289/302 it will work as long as nothing has been milled.

Chris, yes that "O" ring is for the distributor, they supply it just cause you have to remove distributor. Out of the thousands of intakes I have done I have probably used 10 of them.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Glad Chris asked about the "O" ring. I found one on the floor under the shelf where the opened intake manifold gaskets where. Been getting all the new parts in a central location and really was wondering where it came from.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

When I was looking around for different gaskets, I did notice that there does seem to be a difference in intake gaskets between Boss and non-Boss Windsors. I've noticed this about more than just intake gaskets. There's been a number of times where I would look something up on AutoZone and the comment for the part would indicate specifically not for Boss engines OR specifically for Boss engines.

What's really odd is when I'm searching for parts (like the intake gasket) for a 97 Explorer 5.0L, I get both Boss and non-Boss parts listed as though some Explorers came with a Boss and others with non-Boss. I'd be highly surprised if there was 1 Explorer out there with a Boss engine.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Ignore any comment about the Boss motor, been about 40 years since they have been made. Sounds like AutoZone not quite up to date. I just go to Summit or Jegs but think for these last gaskets, just the local NAPA store since I had the right part numbers.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I use AutoZone for as much generic stuff as I can just because they are local and they have a Rewards card. When doing a build like this that takes a good $150 in peripheral parts like gaskets, I strategically buy the parts to get me more purchases on the Rewards card that qualify. I've already gotten $20 back off the card. I'm hoping to have another $20 coming my way in another purchase or two. And there's probably another $50 in parts still left to get (water pump, antifreeze, cheap oil (for breaking in), fresh threadlocker, etc).
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

Thanks guys, sounds like we all picked up something here, especially Dave (O-ring on the floor) LOL.
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver