Hello world, Felt I should make an update

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Soul
SM: No

Hello world, Felt I should make an update

Post by Soul »

Ya I been gone for a bit, motor is in, having some kinks ironed out. Got my fuel pump issue fixed, I ran all new wire and put in my in a fuel pump relay. I had to change power steering pumps and had an issue where my march brackets weren't lining up for the PS and was eating belts. Fixed that, was a pain. Down to one last odd issue and then it will be drivable, Randomly it won't want to turn over from the starter, it acts like the battery is dead or is in a bind as it draws down the bat HARD. I have a mini starter on it and have no idea what this one is. i did have to shim the starter as the SFI fly wheel is thicker, Any ideas? Oh and have to run transcooler. One last thing this ebay store is amazing, helped me get what I needed for 90% of my build cheap.

http://stores.ebay.com/whiteperformance1/
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
v8ranger

Re: Hello world, Felt I should make an update

Post by v8ranger »

I use to have a "mini" starter on my Ranger... I kept having starting problems. So I went back to the regular "big" starter, and it turns over so much faster.... I didnt know you could shim a Ford starter.... If you shimed it, it would shim it out, not down further away from the flywheel... Am I wrong???
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Soul

Post by Soul »

Ya I never thought you had to shim a ford either, but I took the factory big starter out and were the drive gear engages there is a flat part that doesn't move, and well, it was ground down ALOT. Turns out it is common with the fly wheel I have. As for starting it, the mini starter turns it over much better, I can put a 3ft breaker bar on the front and do chin ups on it, this thing is stout to turn over. When it doesn't start, it cranks over and acts like it is in a bind, I think the issue at hand is junk battery or bad ground as a battery charger usually will get it going. Starts first crank and idles in gear at 600 smooth as silk.
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Starter problems must be the topic of the week for Ford motors. Lots of questions on the early ones at a Mustang site. People talking about ones for autos vs manuals and such, long nose cones vs short nosed cones. My first job out of high school was rebuilding the Ford starters, just the "barrels". Had only two choices then, 6V or 12V. Got paid a whopping $1.25/hour. Desided better get an "Edumacation". Back to starters. Measured a '72' flexplate, 2000 flexplate and a SFI flywheel and they all measured 1" from the crank mounting surface to the back of the ring gear. The after market Ford one measured 3/4". Got a couple more I could (will measure) but really would like to find out the right answer. Seems like it's got to be in the starters, got a couple of them also.
Spring is finially coming up here! Still got too much dirt, salt and crap in the roads but at least it's getting warm. Here that Mustang calling!!!!!!
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Soul

Post by Soul »

The starter I used was from the TC, where it was hitting is inside the cone, right where the gear comes from. But that spot doesn't move, I just happened to be googling stuff and saw spacers and there was starter spacers. And they were recommended for sfi flywheels.
Soul

Post by Soul »

MUWHAHAHAHA, All problems are fixed, starter issue was 500 cold cranking amps was insufficient for feeding my motor. 750 battery in and starts up first crank everytime. Transcoolers are in place. Notice big pretty 4 qt c4 pan now :) also this sounds good but not legal. Ignore the hanging pig tail, that will be tidied up later.

v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Looking good..... Just when it was starting to warm up around hear, all the snow was gone, the roads where looking pretty clear of salt.... Then we got his with more snow...Grrrrrr!!!!! Another 6 inches of snow and temps back in the 30's.... I'm so done with winter......
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Soul

Post by Soul »

It has full exhaust and is licensed now, spent all weekend tooling around in it. Any one every deal with MARCH brackets b4? My opinion of them is garbage, I got a powersteering and alt bracket and its 1/4" further out then my waterpump and crank, so the belt runs crooked and is being chewed up.