fuel pressure issue

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

rangerfab
SM: No

fuel pressure issue

Post by rangerfab »

I recently bought a pro comp electronics fuel pressure regulator and hooked up everything the way it should be & when I turn my key to pre-adjust the regulator it only stays a 6psi. The regulator is functional up to 75psi. Im a little confused how come its not building up enough pressure to pre-adjust.

Im thinking since the return from the regulator is flowing back into the fuel cell at a high rate that its not able to build up pressure to be regulated. The regulator is functional as well when I turn the knob to relieve pressure it moves back to 0 from 6PSI.

The return fitting is an AN8 as well as the inlet. The outlet is an AN6 fitting.

Would it help to reduce the return to a smaller fitting to build up pressure with in the regulator?

I hand crimped the return line & you can see the pressure guage build up pressure.

My truck is has a returnless fuel rail. The fuel pump is functional and has good amount of pressure to send down the line.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
v8ranger

Re: fuel pressure issue

Post by v8ranger »

Are you sure that the pump is even rated for more that 6psi?? If the pump is for a carb setup, thats all the psi you will get... I guessing thats your problem... And I cant say I have ever heards anything good about pro comp stuff... Try blocking off your return line and see if your psi goes up...
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
rangerfab

Post by rangerfab »

Update: It turns out it was set for a carb setup & the company made a mistake on their marketing & was willing to refund me in full for the mistake. However I noted to tech if I replaced the spring in the regulator would it help & they said they were not sure but I could try it & find out. Sure enough I found a spring laying on the ground in my tool shop and used that spring along with the spring in the regulator and bam! back in business. Now I can run it from 60-65 psi with no problems & truck fires up and isnt running rich no more.

For people that want to save money buy a pro-comp electronics fuel regulator for $35 and change out the spring and your in business for EFI setup.
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

Good to hear that you got to the bottom of it, must have been fusterating.
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
rangerfab

Post by rangerfab »

It was until the light bulb popped up. The regulator is a nice work of CNC aluminum art. Its simple in design & mounted an aeromotive fuel pressure guage. To bad pro-comp electronics have not considered changing a simple spring to run on an EFI setup, instead of redesigning a whole other regulator to run an EFI setup in the future.