Tranny Help

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

plowboy34
SM: No

Tranny Help

Post by plowboy34 »

I have a chance to buy a 98 Ranger with a 3.0/auto for a good price. The tranny problem supposedly is that it has no reverse, suppose to go forward with no problems. I am going to look at it this morning to get the facts for myself. I was just wondering if maybe there was a common and easy fix for this reverse problem. I don't know much about these newer trannies with the electronic shifting and all. If it was a C4/6 I would be all over it. Anyways if anyone has ANY info I would greatly appreciate it.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
Soul

Re: Tranny Help

Post by Soul »

I'm by far not an expert but isn't 1st and reverse usually on the same band in an auto?
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Soul wrote:I'm by far not an expert but isn't 1st and reverse usually on the same band in an auto?
Seams like I heard the same thing.... But I'm like you, probably even worst when it comes to transmissions. What I know about them is only what I have heard, and that you could write on one finger...
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Chris

Post by Chris »

You most likely have an issue with the low/reverse band. This band is only used during reverse and when placed in MAN 1 to acheve engine braking. Looking at the solenoid apply chart, I dont think you would have a hydraulic or electrical issue.
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

You are to late but you are right on the money. That is what the problem was. Appreciate your info.

Any chance you would know why the A/C fan will blow out the defrost when engine is under load but when you are at cruising speeds it blows where you have it set to. But anytime you push down on throttle and load engine it changes to the defrost mode. This is on a 99 Ranger.

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

yup.... either you dont have a vacume reserve can on the vacume hose that goes inside to the dash controls for the vents ...or it had a hole in it ......... at idle or road speed it has enuff vacume to work correctly but when you step on it .... the vacume drops so the vents change to defrost ... most of the time its the small circular or odd shaped black thing that is usually mounted over on the a/c plenum with a couple vacume lines running into it ....
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Chris

Post by Chris »

I agree with Grumpy, it's a vacuum leak. I'd first look at the black line that goes into your cab from the engine bay. I've seen rats chew little holes in it. If not there, you can check the reservoir. I've even seen the in dash selector switch leak vacuum. Or it may be the one way check valve that connects the black A/C vacuum line to the engine vacuum. Your best bet it to go to any parts house and buy a hand held manual vacuum pump with a gauge. Then start testing piece by piece. If I'm not mistaken, I believe in 99 Ford was putting a vacuum routing decal under the hood somewhere. If not, let me know and I'll see what I can find.
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

I had a feeling it was that cannister so you two make me feel that is the best place to start. It is dads truck and he has been wearing me out about it so I guess I need to get on it. Suppose to honor thy father so I guess I better get on it....lol. Appreciate the info guys.