Motor mounts

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

davem
SM: No

Motor mounts

Post by davem »

I am doing a V8 swap into a 99 ranger 2wd with coil springs. What motor mounts will work in this swap? I have read that V6 mounts and a special home made plate will work good. My V6 mounts arrived today and they look like the motor will be too high. I have not trial fitted the block to them yet, but i have trial fitted it with the 4 cyl mounts and they looked about the right height. The V6 mounts sets the engine around 1" higher. Anybody that has done this swap have any thoughts?

Thanks for the help
Dave
1999 stepside 5.0/Comp Cam, TRW forged pistons,Gt40P heads/w all comp cam valve train.TCI C4, custom Interior/ 100% show
1998 std cab 2.5/5 sp daily driver.
jzwartster

Re: Motor mounts

Post by jzwartster »

You will have a problem with clearence for your headers, assuming your using thes. Jegs has the proper mounts for the v8 swap for $95. they also have ceramic headers for $450.
davem

Post by davem »

The Jegs mounts 969-9717 say they are for up to 97 ranger is there a different # or will these work for the 99 and you say that there headers will work in a 99?

Thanks for the reply and info
Dave
1999 stepside 5.0/Comp Cam, TRW forged pistons,Gt40P heads/w all comp cam valve train.TCI C4, custom Interior/ 100% show
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I used my stock V6 mounts and made the plates.. here are a couple pics. If you look, you can see I had to make the drivers side plate thicker than the passanger side. And you can see where I had to notch the frame on the passanger side.

1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

The '98' and newer Rangers are a whole lot different. It's the change in the suspension that causes problems. The motor plates to use are below and recommend using the V-6 SOHC mounts. The only headers that have been proven to work are the stock Explorer manifolds, the out of production FRPP ones or the expensive Torque Monster headers.
Dave

Steering shaft clearance with other headers and this is with the motor raised almost 2" to clear motor mounts.
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

Oh I see the suspension change in 98. Its looks likle the headers you have are the same as I in my 93, you might need to swap them.
davem

Post by davem »

Dave Thanks for the info What model are the 4.0 sohc v6 mounts from? I can't read the part number on your print and a 4.0 v6 sohc does not show up for a ranger. I have the 1999 4.0 v6 mounts i just received and one is different from the other one. That is no problem i can redrill the holes if needed. but are they the proper mounts?

Thanks for the great info

Dave
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

i dunno if its the same or not ...... but i used the L&L mounts and filter relocation kit on my 90 Ranger ... and got Kaufman hedders to go on it too ....
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

davem wrote:Dave Thanks for the info What model are the 4.0 sohc v6 mounts from? I can't read the part number on your print and a 4.0 v6 sohc does not show up for a ranger. I have the 1999 4.0 v6 mounts i just received and one is different from the other one. That is no problem i can redrill the holes if needed. but are they the proper mounts?

Thanks for the great info

Dave
The other Dave (M)! Ford did switch to the SOHC in I believe 2001, now I believe they are interchanable. The plans are from Brian B, an engineer at Ford. He did have an early version for the OHV mounts. Did you get the mounts from Ford or aftermarket? Some of them are totally wrong. See you have your E-mail listed so I'll send you a pdf version and a larger dwg file, let me know if that works.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Grumpy wrote:i dunno if its the same or not ...... but i used the L&L mounts and filter relocation kit on my 90 Ranger ... and got Kaufman hedders to go on it too ....
Totally different trucks Grump. It would be like mixing and matching 302 parts from Ford and Chevy -- Don't work. Still need some heads? Hint, Hint?
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
davem

Post by davem »

I don't know if this will help but here are a couple of views of the frame and the mount holes. This is a show truck and i want the mounts to look as neat as possible. I like the brackets in the drawings and would like to replicate them. Is there a way of getting a readable copy of the prints?

Thanks Dave
Attachments
MVC-006F.JPG
MVC-004F.JPG
MVC-002F.JPG
davem

Post by davem »

It don't look much like show right now. But spring is around the corner
Attachments
MVC-007F.JPG
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Dave wrote:
Grumpy wrote:i dunno if its the same or not ...... but i used the L&L mounts and filter relocation kit on my 90 Ranger ... and got Kaufman hedders to go on it too ....
YUP ... im sending out a couple MO 's in the morning ... $550 total for now ... when i get my check in... ill be sending a more... might be another month or so b4 ill have ya paid in FULL .... but these 2 will be on the way in the morning ... 2 @ $275 each ....... so ill need to know what shipping will cost me so ill know how much more i got to send ya ... lol

like i said...
$700 for heads
$55 for intake plate
$35 for past due shipping
$$$$$ for shipping on this one ...
that it ?
lol

oh BTW... you asked if i had head bolts ... yes and no ... all i got are stock ones.... in one post you said that you had a set that i would need and also said you would include them in the deal too....

so let me know what i still owe... and ill get it all out to ya ASAP .. might be in small monthly payments... but you WILL get it .... THANX ALOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

davem wrote:I don't know if this will help but here are a couple of views of the frame and the mount holes. This is a show truck and i want the mounts to look as neat as possible. I like the brackets in the drawings and would like to replicate them. Is there a way of getting a readable copy of the prints?

Thanks Dave
Dave, I sent out what should be readable about an hour ago, check your spam filter. I was talking to one guy about wheels and such and used the words "studs" and it got blocked. If you can't read them let me know.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed