Fuel Pump

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

davem
SM: No

Fuel Pump

Post by davem »

Hi I am new to this forum so if this question has been asked too many times before i'm sorry. I am in the middle of a 1999 v8 swap. I am installing a 1989 5.0 HO with forged pistons, comp cam and a elderbrock 625 carb. My question is The truck was originally a fuel injected 2.5. Is it best to remove the pump in the tank and install an electric downstream or use a pressure regulator. Can a downstream electric pump suck thru the intank pump? What have you done and what kind of success.

Thanks Dave
1999 stepside 5.0/Comp Cam, TRW forged pistons,Gt40P heads/w all comp cam valve train.TCI C4, custom Interior/ 100% show
1998 std cab 2.5/5 sp daily driver.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by cgrey8 »

I don't think you can pull through the stock pump. Looking at the mechanism of how those pumps work, I wouldn't expect that to work very well. So I'd plan to pull the bed off so you can get to the pump, remove it, and worst case, just let the hose dangle in the bottom of the tank. Although I'm sure they make some kind of device that will let you pull from the tank without just having a dangling hose. But since I'm EFI, I wouldn't know much about that.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

The pump is still in gas tank on my 86 and I dont have any problems being able to pull gas threw it. I am using an inline pump and its mounted in the engine bay. So, yes, you can leave it in there. Just unhook the power wire to it. Or pull the fuse or relay...
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

My dad has a inline that is pulling thru the OE pump(in tank) in his old Chevy plow truck, been that way for a couple years and seems fine
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
davem

Post by davem »

Thanks for the info saves a lot of hassle not having to pull the tank. I have found some regulators available but i don't trust them to regulate that much pressure. I have a lot of work left to do, this is a show truck and it is getting all new suspension parts and the frame cleaned and painted prior to the new engine going in. It going to be a 5.0 HO 350 hp with a TCI C4 trans. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have taken pics during the whole process to help somebody else do this Swap.

Thanks Dave
1999 stepside 5.0/Comp Cam, TRW forged pistons,Gt40P heads/w all comp cam valve train.TCI C4, custom Interior/ 100% show
1998 std cab 2.5/5 sp daily driver.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Impressive. I never would've guessed you could pull-thru a high pressure pump. Nice to know.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Well like V8Ranger said, disable the power to the pump, use an exteral low psi pump close to the tank and use just about any good regulator. Think the early Rangers had an external pump mounted back there on the frame rail. Pictures are coming?
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

my 87 had a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the frame rail... right under the drivers seat .... i had to replace that one once and the intank one twice .....
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

My son's 85 was just like Grumpy's, we actually use the in tank pump running it directly to the carb. It only put's out 6 psi and we have had no problems with it.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

davem wrote:I have a lot of work left to do, this is a show truck and it is getting all new suspension parts and the frame cleaned and painted prior to the new engine going in.
Sounds like you are stripping it down to a bare frame anyways. Swapping out the in tank pump shouldn't be to bad at that point.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

plowboy34 wrote:My son's 85 was just like Grumpy's, we actually use the in tank pump running it directly to the carb. It only put's out 6 psi and we have had no problems with it.
That worked out as good as it could!
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

plowboy34 wrote:My son's 85 was just like Grumpy's, we actually use the in tank pump running it directly to the carb. It only put's out 6 psi and we have had no problems with it.
Yes, you are right, I forgot that the pump in the tank was a low pressure pump in the early years...
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

My dad than I have had a lot of problems with fuel pumps. You must eliminate just the pump in the tank but leave the pick up. (pulling through will eventually cause the electric pump to fail.) I have a 91 and it too had one in the tank and on the frame rail. bypass the one on the frame rail and usually the lines are way small for the stock engine. Replace all the lines I used 5/16 inside diameter. Also use the fuel pump required for your engine not the truck. My case I have one for a 93 mustang and its mounted just before the tank. The little $50 after market electric pump are junk, my truck as gone through about 10 of them in about 50k miles. Best bet to run a fuel pressure gauge so you know you have at least a constant 7lbs at all times if not you know something is not right. They recommend using a taugo swith to turn off your pump in a hurry in case of a collision the gas dont continue pumping. I havent done this yet but will one day. Take my advise and save you a lot of head ache, time and money as it did me.
Soul

Post by Soul »

I just did a v8 swap (carbed but still applies) I swapped in a high volume 255lph walbro fuel pump (just replaces stock one) and ran new fuel line with a regulaor, Holly doesn't seem to mind at all. Easy Peasy.
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

what ever works i tried the Holly fuel pump with the regulator it didnt work and later found they discontinued that unit.