Oil Leaks

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

jzwartster
SM: No

Oil Leaks

Post by jzwartster »

Anyone else having trouble with the oil line to close to the frame rail and rubing and creating a leak in time? Just happend again last night. Quick fix but hate it. Think Im going to try to put some sort of sleeve over the ribber line. I really dont want to remove any of the fittings with the engine installed. (To tight of a fit and don't want a leak.) I have another relocater that has two options where the hose hook up, two on the side and two on the face. i wish I would have installed this one before the engine went in. I could have used the fitting on the face other than the side. Keep this in mind when building yours.
plowboy34

Re: Oil Leaks

Post by plowboy34 »

I used the L&L one where they come out towards the front of the engine and have had no trouble in 4+ years. The L&L is more expensive but the quality is so much better, you can't tell until you have it in your hand and you know what the cheaper ones are like. I would say it was some of the best money I spent on the boys truck.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I would agree. The L&L is worth the money. They definitely spent time on the details.

Before I bought the L&L part, I also bought a similar Canton adapter because it was about 1/2 the price of the L&L. The Canton version is a tad thicker, but in hindsight looks like it would work. What I don't know is if it would've given me problems later on. The seals Canton used are just standard O-rings. L&L used some kind of special rubber-sealed lock washer. I've never seen a washer quite like it. But it seems to do the job and has been since 2006. We'll see how well it works after being taken off the engine and reinstalled. Sometimes tampering with seals that are rubber will not go back together as well as they did originally or won't seal as well. If it does come apart and go back together without issue, I'll be even more impressed than I am now.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

Yes thats the one I have I think I just need to tighten it a bit. Right now it at about 9:00 and I think if I turn it to 10:00m I will be fine, I just dont want to break the seal. I have about 8k mile on it now and no leaks. The line is rubing on the steering box. I actually put a hose clamp on it fo now but I feel the vibrasion in the gas pedal. Must change it soon.
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Mine has been in for 8 years and I have never had any problems with it rubbing threw.. I got the better lines, the neoprene hoses, then put that braided hose covering over it...

1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

What is the position of the oil outlets at the engine? Mine is at about 9:00 (pointing slightly past straight ahaed) if you know what i mean.
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Yes, I know what you mean, Its at about 10 or 11. I think its closer to 11
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

I tried to move it up today while takin a break at work and no luck with the engine in. really need to get a pipe wrench on it to turn it 1/4 turn. Thanks
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

They will break pretty easy if you go to far... I broke mine when I had the engine out last month. I had to get a new one and a new gasket, then I was able to get it where it needed to be...
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

hmmm, what broke did it just strip out? I have another one but as you know you really cant change it while the motor is in. there are two other outlets on the oppisite side maybe I can pull that plug and put on the top and run one line on top and the other on the bottom.
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

The housing where the treads are cracked when I was trying to get it turned just a little more. When I got the new housing and gasket, it wasnt a problem getting it where I needed it to be. But with the old gasket I couldnt, thats why It ended up breaking. Here is a pic of where mine it sitting. I think its just a little more facing up than where it was when I took this pic. Not much though..

Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

it dont look much higher than mine, i hope for your sake it is a bit more. Dont think im goin to try to turn it as my thought was right. once its sealed leave it. She sure is red! lookin good!
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

jzwartster wrote:it dont look much higher than mine, i hope for your sake it is a bit more. Dont think im goin to try to turn it as my thought was right. once its sealed leave it. She sure is red! lookin good!
No, not that much more at all. Maybe another 1/4 of an inch. Ya, the picture makes it look more red than it is. I think the flash on the camera makes it look more red... But, none the less, it is red.....lol... I like it...
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end