Water pump ? and some complaints

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Soul
SM: No

Water pump ? and some complaints

Post by Soul »

I know some 302's are reverse rotation, is there an easy way to tell? And a more direct one, is a 93 tbird and a 90 mustang reverse, I want to use the fan off the tbird.

Also, motor is in, had to run all new fuel lines (pain in the ass!) I put the regulator where the big fuel filter was back by the rearend and will run a big one under the hood. I bought some March brackets for my PS and Alt, one of the bolts I received in the kit was 2" to short. So I'm trying to track that POS down. Should run shortly, I haven't had much time to work on it. I put some full length 1"5/8ths primary headers on it since it is in my bird and let me tell you that is a TIGHT fit. Also had to by some (semi) solid motor mounts for the swap. All and All it was a bit more than I expected but hopefully it will be worth it.

Also angry as my dad who always finds stupidly good deals, he found a 347 kit (ross rods, forged crank, don't know what pistons) + block (fresh from machine shop all clearancing done) + Roush heads (with huge stainless valves) for 1400.
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Water pump ? and some complaints

Post by cgrey8 »

If you can see the pulley setup, you can figure out whether it is a direct or reverse spinning water pump. USUALLY the water pumps spin backwards if the pump is run by a serp belt. Notice:
With a serp belt, the top/smooth side of the belt runs the water pump pulley. However the grooved side is in contact with the crank pulley. So this is an indication that the water pump will spin "backwards" as compared to the rotation of the crank.

Older V-belt engines generally have standard rotation water pumps since you can't run a pulley off the tops of V-belts. All driven devices are driven in the same rotation since they must all be driven by the same belt surfaces.

If you don't have the belt accessory stuff to reference and only the timing cover, I'm not rightfully sure what you look for in the timing cover to determine if the water pump spins CW or CCW.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Soul

Post by Soul »

Ya no belts lol, i think they are both reverse, both serp so *shrug*
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Both should be reverse rotation. Can tell if they are the same just by looking at the fans and see if the blades are angled the same way. Glad to see those Explorer reference pictures being put to use. It is always the grooved side that drives the accesories and it's the smooth side that rides on the idler pulleys. Same front cover can be used for both rotation of pumps.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Dave, are you sure the same cover can be used with both rotation pumps? If so, then I wonder if there's actually a pump difference and thus it doesn't matter which way the pump spins as long as it spins...thus water will always be drawn from the inside of the impellar and slung to the outside. If that's true, then that certainly simplifies things.

You do still have to worry about pump shaft length. The length must be compatible with the accessory brackets and balancer. A pump shaft that's too short won't work at all with accessories designed for a longer shaft. A pump shaft that's too long will require shimming the brackets away from the heads to get proper belt alignment and will require a balancer that matches the shaft length. If there's a way to "shim" a balancer, I don't know of it.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Just looking at the FRPP catalog and they list a replacement for both. The pumps are completly differernt. The vanes run in different directions. Think of an electric fan, the blades are angled one way to push or pull. With the pump it only runs in one direction. That make sense?
Dave
Edit: Front covers are usually designed for the correct rotation of the pump but can be used on either. It's that time of year where I just might have clean parts on my desk so I can draw them up in AutoCad, had this one. You can see where the inlets/outlets are angled to feed the pump better. This happens to be the counter-rotation pump.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting