Fuel Compensation Sensor?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

rangerfab
SM: No

Fuel Compensation Sensor?

Post by rangerfab »

Dave told me to ask this question on the forum for some extra advice.
I have a 2000 ranger that had a 3.0 flex fuel. Now I have swapped in a 97 explorer 5.0, the question I got is, can the fuel compensation sensor be removed and just relocate the fuel lines? Will it affect the PATS type B ? Also will it affect the PCM by changing idling?

I have an aftermarket fuel cell & fuel pump & regulator. I am currently waiting on a 2000 5.0 engine harness to continue on the wiring stage of the swap.

Any help to steer me the right direction would be greatly appreciated
-eddie
Dave
Supporting Member

Re: Fuel Compensation Sensor?

Post by Dave »

Welcome Eddie! Sure hope you find the answer here, I told you I get lost on some of them things. Sometimes, depending on time of year, things do get slow here. Always helps to have a new build here.
Dave - only 24 below this morning.
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
rangerfab

Post by rangerfab »

20 below is pretty damn cold. I sure hope to get an answer or il just remove it & see what happens to the trucks performance when it goes to the dealership in a couple of months. The quick release steering is awesome, wish ford had made a ranger like the ford raptor.
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Eddie, you might want to add your general location, maybe someone is close. Also suggest going to your profile and putting in what your truck is. Ever get some pictures? I'd like to see them, know it's not the normal street truck.
Dave - Game is on, see what I can send to you on Monday.
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I knew the 3.0s were FlexFuels but I didn't realize they used a compensation sensor the way the Chevys did. Interesting. If you can get a pic of it, I'd be interested in seeing what one looks like.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
rangerfab

Post by rangerfab »

@ cgrey fuel compensation sensor is the flex fuel sensor its the sensor under the driver side mounted on the frame rail. Compensates the difference in E85 from 87 so that the motor still runs the same as any 87 unleaded vehicle would. I did some research but hit walls every where I went except when someones truck was running odd and they replaced the Flex fuel sensor then the truck was running good again. The sensor malfunctions if water shorts the plug or if your truck has old gas it malfunctions the sensor. To replaced the sensor it cost $600 for the part alone.

It rained all afternoon so I was not able to cut the fuel lines & re-route

Cgrey il try to post some pics and get my profile complete. Basically its a single cab fully caged from frame end to frame end that ive been building since college. The front pulls 15" custom upper & lower arms & the rear pulls 16" deaver leaf spring setup. I want to 4 link it but its been a money pit and i want to be done with and enjoy it since i crashed it at a race in 09.

@ dave sorry the bears lost...
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

When I run E85 or ethanol blends in my truck, I have to compensate manually in the tune. The strategy tune I use has a "hack" in it that Ford didn't have spec'd out originally. The hack lets us enter a fuel AFR or select from a list of fuels (E10, E20..., E85, C16, Propane, etc). So if I have say 8 gal of regular (E10) and I fill up with E85, I have to compensate manually. That'd be about an E40-E50 mix. Enter that into the tune, and see how close my guess was based on how close I got to target. If it needs adjustment, I make the adjustment and run the tank on that tune till I fill up again. The computer doesn't have to be exactly on target. For instance, I can run E30 on an E40 tune, and the computer can compensate for that...although it is obvious it is compensating when you look at the datalog. Point is, it doesn't require being exact...close is good enough. But one thing I was thinking about doing is modifying the code to accept one of those Fuel Compensation sensors. That'd be A LOT of work, but if I ever got an ethanol station close to me, I'd likely run it instead of 93 octane...or at least I'd run some blend of regular and E85.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
rangerfab

Post by rangerfab »

cgrey thats interesting what yoo wrote.