Front springs

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

87sc302
SM: No

Front springs

Post by 87sc302 »

What are the best replacement front springs ?
My Ranger seems to be lower on the drivers side and I want to install some new springs to see if that will help.
It originallly had a 4 cyl
Thanks
Larry
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Front springs

Post by cgrey8 »

When I researched the various springs that were available on both Rangers and Explorers, I found that the 97 Ranger Supercab springs were the strongest. So that's what I went with. And they are stiffer...a little too stiff for my taste. I wish I'd just gone back with the stock 89 Ranger Supercab springs. The V8 isn't nearly as heavy as I thought it was and I just don't think I need larger springs to get the ride height and suspension feel.

So my recommendation is to go back with whatever is stock OR whatever was stock for your year V6 (L4 Rangers and V6 Rangers do usually have different springs).
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

Re: Front springs

Post by plowboy34 »

If you were happy with how your truck sat and rode right after installing V8 I would just put the samething back in. If you wish to make it stiffer and a little higher then cgrey is correct, get springs out of a supercab V6 engine. They are just a tad taller and stiffer. When we did the boys truck we measured ride height before pulling 4 banger. We put in the heavier springs at the same time we did engine swap and the ride height was exactly the same as it was with the 4 banger. We like the way it rides and drives so that part is just personal preference. Also does not matter if donor truck is 4X4 or 2wd the springs are the same. Just if you want the heavier ones it must be supercab AND V6 engine.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)