Pinks All Out -Bristol TN

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

87sc302
SM: No

Pinks All Out -Bristol TN

Post by 87sc302 »

Spent 12 hours last Saturday at Bristol Dragway watching the filming of "Pinks all out".

438 vehicles going for $10K. This was the most fun I have had at a dragstrip in years. In east tn all the dragstrips run 1/8 mile so the 1/4 mile runs were great. Alot of 9 and 10 sec cars/trucks.

One of the final 4 was a 71-73 Mach I with a 351C. He looked like a big boat next to most of the smaller bodied cars running.

If you get the chance and like dragracing I recommend the Pinks all out events,
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
v8ranger

Re: Pinks All Out -Bristol TN

Post by v8ranger »

That would be cool to see. We only have a 1/8 track around here also. I have never run my truck. Would like to, just so I know what it will do. But I dont want to run with anyone next to me. I probably woudnt be able to hear my truck and wouldnt be albe to tell if im shifting right...lol.... I dont look down at my tach to often....
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I went to Pinks in KC in 2008 when they came here. Fun stuff for sure.

v8ranger you are absolutely right about the shifting and I'm surprised you know that having never gone to the track. Or maybe you just mean never with the Ranger. I recall the first time I was ever at the track years ago in a Mustang I had, the other cars where so loud I ran into that exact problem. I now had to shift looking at the tach instead of by ear and it screwed up my shifts bad as I was so used to shifting by ear.

Now in the Cobra I shift by tach quite a bit because the darn thing pulls so hard all the way to 7k where it hits the rev limiter that I hit it all the time by accident so I've learned to pay more attention to the tach. The pull just doesn't let up like most cars and you can't rely on it and exhaust to shift like most cars.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

put in a shift light, problem gone...the old trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yeah I've been thinking about it. I've seen some guys do a real slick installation inside the a/c vents to where you don't even see the shift light.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

MalcolmV8 wrote:I went to Pinks in KC in 2008 when they came here. Fun stuff for sure.

v8ranger you are absolutely right about the shifting and I'm surprised you know that having never gone to the track. Or maybe you just mean never with the Ranger. I recall the first time I was ever at the track years ago in a Mustang I had, the other cars where so loud I ran into that exact problem. I now had to shift looking at the tach instead of by ear and it screwed up my shifts bad as I was so used to shifting by ear.

Now in the Cobra I shift by tach quite a bit because the darn thing pulls so hard all the way to 7k where it hits the rev limiter that I hit it all the time by accident so I've learned to pay more attention to the tach. The pull just doesn't let up like most cars and you can't rely on it and exhaust to shift like most cars.

I have never run anything at a track. I would love to, just so I knew what it would do... I dont want to put in a shift light, I have no use for one. I'm sure your Cobra pulls harder than my Ranger for sure. But I know what your saying about it not ever letting up,mine doesnt either. It just keeps building boost all the way up. One of these times im going to push my luck and it will go BOOM!!!!
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I had to make an emergency trip down that way to the Fort Patrick Dam (Kingsport) about ten years ago. They some how had dropped a 40 ft long turbine shaft on some working equipment. Had some time off and went over to Bristol just to see the short track. My goodness, what a view looking up at the stands. They happened to be having a Super Cheby shootout that day. Really nice country down there, good people also.
Never run any car at the strip either but I'm with you guys in just how quick you can get moving with a good blower. Got a choice of watching the road, tach or the speedo.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

v8ranger wrote: I have never run anything at a track. I would love to, just so I knew what it would do... I dont want to put in a shift light, I have no use for one. I'm sure your Cobra pulls harder than my Ranger for sure. But I know what your saying about it not ever letting up,mine doesnt either. It just keeps building boost all the way up. One of these times im going to push my luck and it will go BOOM!!!!
Maybe a shift light will do us both some good and save some expensive booms. Do you have a rev limiter? I imagine even hitting that under full boost is not good on a motor.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

MalcolmV8 wrote:
v8ranger wrote: I have never run anything at a track. I would love to, just so I knew what it would do... I dont want to put in a shift light, I have no use for one. I'm sure your Cobra pulls harder than my Ranger for sure. But I know what your saying about it not ever letting up,mine doesnt either. It just keeps building boost all the way up. One of these times im going to push my luck and it will go BOOM!!!!
Maybe a shift light will do us both some good and save some expensive booms. Do you have a rev limiter? I imagine even hitting that under full boost is not good on a motor.
No, the only rev limiter I have is my foot..... lol....
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

v8ranger wrote:
MalcolmV8 wrote:
No, the only rev limiter I have is my foot..... lol....
Might want to change that. Either shift light or rev limiter or else I'd have to agree with you one of these days you just might blow it up and that's no fun.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

on the street i keep the shift light set at 4500 and the rev limit at 5000. at the track, shift light at 7500 and rev limit at 8000. learned a long time ago its too easy to over rev at the track. you all know the result.... start building a new engine...the old trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost