New and a run down on my project

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Soul
SM: No

New and a run down on my project

Post by Soul »

Ok, you may of seen me on the board already and I'm still wishy washy on final build but HELLO. My name is Alan and I'm located in Southeast MO. Project truck is an 87 ranger shortbed 2wd. Picked it up from setting for 11 years but the truck was owned by an older couple and is almost perfect. Plans are as of now AOD trans, 302 rebuild if block is ok and doesn't need bored, if block needs work then a 347 stroker, and an 8.8 rearend. I might get a lowering kit as well to make it handle a little better. Truck is a radio delete and manual steering and will probably leave that way :D
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
v8ranger

Re: New and a run down on my project

Post by v8ranger »

Adding sway bars, front and back, makes a world of differance. If you want it to handle better, those are a must. I got mine off of a Bronco II.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

Hey Soul, I am over by poplar bluff, quite surprised when i read SE Missouri. Maybe some day we can meet somewhere and check things out.

Putting in an 8.8 and lowering may not go together as the 8.8 is a little wider. As v8ranger said sway bars make a big difference in handling. We lowered the boys and it did help handling a litlle but when we put sway bars on it made all the difference in the world. If you just want it more stable and that is why you are lowering it I would just put sway bars on, you will get a lot more bang for your buck.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
Soul

Post by Soul »

Will totally go the sway bar route then :) main thing I'm worried about, and I know lowering won't help it, is Light butt end, heavy friend, scared she will slide around on me.

Btw I live out in whitewater/dutchtown area if you know where that is.
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Glad to see you still working on the project. I knew there was someone down your way, alway nice to at least post your general location. I found at least four within 30 miles of me at another site, met a couple of them.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Soul

Post by Soul »

Ya project hit a couple snags, guy didn't buy my car yet so lack of funding there, and then gf's pc bit the dust and she drained my funds. But I'm slowly getting back on track.
Soul

Post by Soul »

For the most part I been doing things that don't require money, pulling motor, fixing dents, I have most of the parts and pretty much a small salavage yard to pick through so I'm still making some progress.
Soul

Post by Soul »

Hey one more thought, I been told it is illegal for the v8 swap as when you get your vehicle any motor that isn't a factory option will not pass inspection. Any truth to this? I've seen a ton of v8 s-10's and rangers running around so I'm pretty sure this is BS.
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Well the swap is legal depending on which state or local region. Plowboy34 lives near you and did one. Best to check with the DMV. Good luck, starting to know the money problem close and personal. Cloths washer took a dump three days before the heating element in the stove joined it. Refirigarator need replacement, they're all about 25 years old. Sitting watching the morining news this morning and I hear water dripping down the fireplace. Need to get one of the trucks ready for Winter as in snow tires.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Soul wrote:I been told it is illegal for the v8 swap as when you get your vehicle any motor that isn't a factory option will not pass inspection. Any truth to this? I've seen a ton of v8 s-10's and rangers running around so I'm pretty sure this is BS.
Your local highway patrol will tell you. It varies from state to state and probably even county. I also found that it even varies among inspection stations. First place I went to said sorry fail because there's a V8 in there. Drove to a less desirable part of town and the guy didn't even look twice.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

We heard that when we built my sons, we asked the local cops and they all said never heard such a thing. Always have been able to get the safety passed on it.

Yes I know where Dutchtown is, I go through there when we go to Cape.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Here in NY state, anything 96 and newer, the computer has to be plugged in to a machine and that is connected to Albany. If there are no codes, Albany's system will pass that part of the inspection. 95 and older, it doesn't matter if your check engine light is on. As long as your catalytic converter is there and all the lights work, brakes are good, no cracked windshield, wiper blades are not torn, and the structure of the vehicle is sound, it will pass. But if you know someone, they don't care if the cat is there or not.... There are allot of states out there that don't have any sort of vehicle inspections. But as far as it being against the law to do the swap, I doubt it. As long as it passes inspection, it wont matter what engine is in it. But stop at a shop that does inspections and ask them what they would be looking for when they see something like that. Stop at a couple of them and ask the same questions and see if they both give you the same answer.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end