cylinder heads

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

painterdude923

cylinder heads

Post by painterdude923 »

I have a set of d80e heads that need to be reworked. does anyone know what these are off of? valve sizes? cc's of chamber?
v8ranger
SM: No

Re: cylinder heads

Post by v8ranger »

I think they are 1980's 302. But dont hold me to it utill someone else says....
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

the way i was told about decoding the Ford numbers are like this ....

the 1st digit is the1st digit of the year... like this ..

B=60's
C=70's
D=80's
E=90's

and the second is the second digit of the year ...like ...

1 =1
2=2
3=3 and so forth ..... so the D80 number would be ...... D=8 and the 8=8 ......... there for they are 88 model's ...... as far as to tell what they come off of....... good luck ...... would have to call ford and get them to look up the casting number and another number too and also to get the "specs" of the heads ...... GL ... ford DONT like to do that ..... most of the time they wont even look it up or they tell ya they dont have a way to look it up ..... but they do!!
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I think you are off by 1 on the letters. The infamous E7TE heads were introduced in 87.

Based on that, I'd say a D8 head is from 1978. If these are Windsor heads, then guaranteed they suck @$$.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

you are right ....... it starts with a C not a B .. my bad.... so this is the updated code ......

C=60's
D=70's
E=80's
F=90's

sorry for the confusion
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Googling that number, I see a few other discussions about these heads...and I wasn't surprised at what I found. They have very small CC runners, small valves, HUGE combustion chambers (mid 70cc range), and no quench area. Unless you port the heck out of them, upgrade the valves, and run these on a super/turbocharged AND stroked 351w, you aren't going to get much from them. One guy said the E6SE heads are better than the old D8 heads...and the E6 head sucks.

Decent production heads didn't come about until the E7 head. The E7 can be ported to produce some impressive flows for stock irons. But I think most anybody agrees that sinking too much money into stock heads just isn't a good return. New valve guides, valve stem seals, valve job, and upgraded springs-n-retainers are about as far as you want to invest into stock heads. If you port heads yourself or have access to some cheap porting labor, then that might be worth it. But upgrading valves or enlarging valves is not money well spent. Ironically, I'm doing every bit of that to my stock GT40p heads, but that's only because I don't want higher profile heads so I can avoid clearance problems on my future build. I want my built engine to be as identical in shape and dimension as my existing engine. So I don't mind spending a little more on the heads than others might would be willing to JUST to keep the heads. In most any other application (Ranger or otherwise) this generally isn't a constraint.

So where are you coming across these heads?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I'm with Chris, that number just didn'r ring a bell so I did a Google also. Looks like not at all a performance head. Better, cheaper haad are out there.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

If you own a boat you could use them as an anchor other than that they are useless as far as performance goes. You could work these over and spend big money and never have a stock E7 head and some people think E7's are complete junk. So if your gonna spend money on factory heads at least get E7's. If your gonna spend $$$$$ on heads get some aftermarket aluminun heads. If you just want a decent factory head for cheap get E7's, if you wish to spend a little more look for some gt40's.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

well if i can ever get up the cash to send to Dave and get my World Product S/R's on the way .. ill have a set of E7's that are ported and polished on intake and exhaust in great shape (not cracked or anything) and work GREAT ...... will need to have a valve job on them .... might be willing to make a deal on them after i get my new ones from Dave ....... wish i could talk him into sending them now so i dont have to rip the engine back down after its in the truck..... then my E7's would be off my engine WAY sooner and ready to sell....

Dave .. hint hint hint .. lmao ...... you know ill NOT stiff ya on them .... can make a few monthly payments till taxes come in or till the dude comes and gets the old Mustang body ..... then could pay them off completely !!!!! let em know ....lol

i still want that intake cover too .... so you can send all of it together .....lmao ....... but it up to you bro

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

painterdude923 wrote:I have a set of d80e heads that need to be reworked. does anyone know what these are off of? valve sizes? cc's of chamber?
What's the intended use for the motor? I might have a set of used GT-40P I need to get rid of. I have a couple of other sets around besides the one's promised to Grumppppppppyyyyyyyyyy.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting