Gasket question

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

v8ranger
SM: No

Gasket question

Post by v8ranger »

Ok, I am going to be doing some work on my Ranger this winter. I have to change some gaskets. As long as i'm changing them, should I put differant intake and head gaskets on that will handle the supercharger??? And if so, What do you recomend??? The stock gaskets seem ok right now, but if I add a couple more pounds of boost, I dont want to blow a head gasket. Just trying to avoid posible problems later.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: Gasket question

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I haven't researched this a lot but my Cobra uses a multi layered steel head gasket. It was made up of four layers and is as strong as they come. People push those motors to 1000 rwhp + and blown head gaskets are pretty rare on these cars. I asked around some when rebuilding my motor and was told to stick with the factory style multi layered head gasket because it is as good as it gets.

Also I switched to head studs instead of head bolts. It was explained to me that this pulls the head down on the block better than pulling the block up towards the heads the way the traditional head bolts do. Apparently this is even better but I wouldn't say required. Stock blown Cobra motors with head bolts worked just fine. Since I had everything apart I went ahead and switched to head studs at the recommendation of my machine shop and other various engine builders I spoke to.

That's all the info I have related to what you're doing. Hope that helps :)

Later
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Oh yeah I also had this really sticky copper gasket spray I had to spray in between each of the head gasket layers. My machine shop swears by it and says he's not had any blown head gaskets since using it. It was only a few bucks at a local auto parts store so I figured what the heck and used it. It's really tacky and some what of a pain to use but if it works as good as he says then it was worth it.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

For a built engine with aftermarket bottom end, going to a stronger head gasket is not a bad idea and will allow you to run a higher boost without the worry of blowing the gasket. But others think of the gasket as the weak link and actually like having it there to act like a fuse when things get overloaded. If you make the gasket stronger, it's like replacing a 10A fuse with a 15A or 20A. Thus, when things do go bad you put more stress on the other parts of the engine so instead of the gasket failing, you get things like compression ring failure, piston failure, bearing failure, connecting rod failure, or some other failure that is more expensive that a head gasket to fix. However if you are confident in the strength of all the other components and in your ability to not run the spark too high and cause detonation, then perhaps a stronger fuse is in order.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Hmmmm, now what to do, lol. I havent had any problems with the stock head gaskets. I have a oil and coolant leak. Its in the back of the motor. Its not a bad leak, I havent had to add any coolant or oil. It leaves a little spot on my garage floor and I dont like that, any leak is bad in my opinion. I hate leaks. Dont know if its the intake or head gasket yet. Maybe I should just stay with stock gaskets. Its not like I'm going to be running alot of boost. I am at about 6 pounds right now and I'm thinking about changing a pully to get it up around 9 or so. I think that's about as far as I should go on stock bottom end.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

v8ranger wrote:Hmmmm, now what to do, lol. I havent had any problems with the stock head gaskets. I have a oil and coolant leak. Its in the back of the motor. Its not a bad leak, I havent had to add any coolant or oil. It leaves a little spot on my garage floor and I dont like that, any leak is bad in my opinion. I hate leaks. Dont know if its the intake or head gasket yet. Maybe I should just stay with stock gaskets. Its not like I'm going to be running alot of boost. I am at about 6 pounds right now and I'm thinking about changing a pully to get it up around 9 or so. I think that's about as far as I should go on stock bottom end.
You sure that's the intake or head gasket?

On a blown engine without any crankcase evac setup, you very well might be pushing oil past the rear main seal.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

usmcrp1044 wrote:On a blown engine without any crankcase evac setup, you very well might be pushing oil past the rear main seal.
Why is that? I've read that few times but forget the exact reasoning behind it. Is it caused from piston blow by into the crank case? I don't see why the pressure can't just be relieved out a crank case vent on the valve cover. What causes it to build up in the crank case to the point that it pushes past the rear main seal?
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

MalcolmV8 wrote:
usmcrp1044 wrote:On a blown engine without any crankcase evac setup, you very well might be pushing oil past the rear main seal.
Why is that? I've read that few times but forget the exact reasoning behind it. Is it caused from piston blow by into the crank case? I don't see why the pressure can't just be relieved out a crank case vent on the valve cover. What causes it to build up in the crank case to the point that it pushes past the rear main seal?
An evac setup pulls air out of the crankcase. (vacuum)
Open breathers just allow the difference in pressure to try and balance out. The breathers only let so much out.

Yes it's caused mainly by blow-by from the pistons
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

v8 ranger blown front and rear seals is the problem i have right now. i'm putting in the third set now. tried pcv system, but now enough vaccum. tried two breathers, no good . went to evack system and still blown out seal's again... the old trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

No, I know im not blowing past the rear main seal. I have had the leak for about a year or better ( only had the S/C 7 months ). I thought it was the rear main seal. So when I changed the clutch I changed the seal. The seal didnt end up being bad, but I changed it anyway. I noticed it is coming from higher up on the back side of the engine. Its not a bad leak at all, and every now and then there will be a dime size spot of antiefreeze mixed in with the dime size spot of oil. I never had to add any fluid all summer. I figured I would do it this winter one day when nothing is going on and im board.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end