1993 Ranger GCWR

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

v8ranger
SM: No

Re: 1993 Ranger GCWR

Post by v8ranger »

MalcolmV8 wrote:Chris the AWD and V8 where perfect. I had a ton of power and could out accelerate traffic no problem with the trailer and car behind me. It was also very stable at speeds. I never experienced any wobbling, swaying or anything of the sort. The issue is you just have so much weight behind you compare to the Ranger. When you go into corners you can really feel it and at times it almost felt like it was going to just pull you over. When I first picked up the trailer and pulled it home it had no electric brakes and I got overly confident with it and then had to make a stop for a vehicle who stopped suddenly in the lane to make a left turn and got a rude awakening when I couldn't hardly stop and that trailer just pushed me like my brakes had given out. First thing I did when I got home was order the electric brake setup. That helps tremendously but its still a less than optimal situation. I was always very careful but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have taken much to loose control driving with that combo. I certainly wouldn't put the money into that setup ever again to tow another vehicle unless it was small (focus or mini) and had a much lighter less industrial strength trailer.
Probalby because you had truck tires on your Ranger, and good stiff sidewalls on the trailer. I pulled a camper with my Ranger years ago, even before the V8. I was ok, untill a tractor trailer went by. It would pull me into him. I had to realy be carefull. I didnt take the camper very far, never had to, nor would I. I had weight distributors also. They make a hudge differance in the stability of the truck and trailer. IMO, you dont want to be pulling anything that out weighs the vehical pulling it, at least when your talking a single axle truck. Just because you can pull it doesnt meen you should go down the road with it. Tandom axle trailers handle much better also. IMO, axles on the trailer need to be mounted in the center, to just a little back. To far back and you end up with to much tongue weight, and the trailer swaying around. To far forward and you have no tongue weight.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

v8 ranger..that was me that pushed you around a few years ago!!! how you doing, get your deer yet?...the old trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

rojam18801 wrote:v8 ranger..that was me that pushed you around a few years ago!!! how you doing, get your deer yet?...the old trucker
LMAO... should have known that was you..lol. No deer yet. season has been horrible. Not seeing hardly any deer at all. Might be time to find a new place to hunt. But its nice to be able to only drive a 1/4 mile up the road, and dont have to deal with other hunters.
I have been keeping the couch warm the last couple days. Had an injection dont on my back again, so I have to take it easy for a couple days so I dont end up with a massive headache, and a trip to the ER. 2 days on the couch is worth the few months with no pain. I have to go back in 2 weeks and have it done again.... Doc wants to see if we do 2, close together like that, if I will end up with no pain for a longer period of time. Im all for that. You back in FL yet?
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

v8ranger wrote:
rojam18801 wrote:v8 ranger..that was me that pushed you around a few years ago!!! how you doing, get your deer yet?...the old trucker
LMAO... should have known that was you..lol. No deer yet. season has been horrible. Not seeing hardly any deer at all. Might be time to find a new place to hunt. But its nice to be able to only drive a 1/4 mile up the road, and dont have to deal with other hunters.
I have been keeping the couch warm the last couple days. Had an injection dont on my back again, so I have to take it easy for a couple days so I dont end up with a massive headache, and a trip to the ER. 2 days on the couch is worth the few months with no pain. I have to go back in 2 weeks and have it done again.... Doc wants to see if we do 2, close together like that, if I will end up with no pain for a longer period of time. Im all for that. You back in FL yet?

I do alot of hunting too, and it has been terrible this year. :(
I live near Albany and hunt everywhere I can around here, I havent seen one deer since season started. Where the hell are they all hiding?
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

v8 ranger been there done that with the shots in the back. i did get up to soon and got that massive headache. that was bad, real bad!!! been home for while then back out. right now at lowe's motor speedway, concord n.c. this place is great. got a 4 lane dragstrip, dirt track, and paved track. checked it all out but nothing happening here, been raining all day. just my luck.
maybe a deer will walk up to your back door again. be cool with your back....the old trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I do alot of hunting too, and it has been terrible this year. :(
I live near Albany and hunt everywhere I can around here, I havent seen one deer since season started. Where the hell are they all hiding?[/quote]

Beats me, I havent seen anything either. Hoping to get out over the next few days and hunt hard. Do allot of walking around and hope to spook some thing up. I have shot more deer while there on the run, from me walking around, and spooking them out of there beds, than I have just sitting in my stands and blind.
Ya rojam, those headaches are not something you want. I had one once also. Feels like your brain is being sucked out of the bottom of your head.
Winter is coming, someday, lol. been pretty mild here so far. once the snow flys and the salt hits the roads, I will start doing some work on the truck. I have an oil leak in either the pan or intake gasket. Not sure, or maybe even both, im thinking. I will change those over the winter, and hook the fuel pump back up thats in the tank and see if I can use that.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end