mufflers

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

v8ranger
SM: No

mufflers

Post by v8ranger »

What is eveyone running for mufflers on there V8 Rangers :?: With or without cat's :?: And what kind of sound, loud, or a nice deep tone :?:
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: mufflers

Post by cgrey8 »

I have el Cheapo Turbo Mufflers with CATs. The sound is OK, but nothing to brag about. It's certainly not loud or offensive when it idles or takes off, but is not quiet like a stock muffler either. I wish it was a little more aggressive sounding.

Also, I'm thinking a lot of my disappointment with the tone has to do with the EXTREMELY mild Explorer cam. A more aggressive cam would probably liven up the exhaust tone. I say that because when I drove the truck to the exhaust shop with just the headers, the truck wasn't as loud, raw, and impressive as I expected it to be for just downpipes. I went there with the intention of getting glass packs, but I let the muffler guy talk me into the turbo mufflers since I told him my truck would be a daily driver. He said the drone of glass packs is while cruising gets on most people's nerves so he always recommends people away from glass packs on daily driven vehicles. To be honest, I regret not getting the glass packs anyway.

About 6 months ago, I put an X-pipe on the truck which also changed the tone. It made the tone even milder by smoothing it out. If you are specifically looking for tone, I do not recommend an X-pipe. It might have given me another few horses. But I can't honestly say it helped my fuel economy at all which was my intention for putting it on in the 1st place. I'm still glad I did it just to hear and experience the difference 1st hand. Although the cost and effort didn't really pay off IMO. In fact, the biggest positive, if you can call it a positive, is I found out that my CATs were shot and had been for a long time (a-whole-nuther story if you care). So when the X was being installed, I also had new CATs put on at the same time. I only care about the CATs because eventually, I'm going to have to move my vehicle registration to where I live now, which is an emissions testing county. But I'm not changing my registration until I absolutely have to because the county they are currently registered in doesn't require emissions testing.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

All I had on mine was cheap turbo mufflers from Auto Zone. I think they where cherry bom. Well I had my exhaust changed a couple weeks ago and up sized from 2 1/4 to 2 1/2. I got the same mufflers. I alway liked they way my truck sounded. But after the pipe size upgrade, I hate it. I bought some MagnaFlow XL Mufflers. I will see how these sounds. I hated spending $80 for two mufflers, but figure I will give it a shot. I might get them on next week. Hunting season with gun starts Sat. So my extra time will be spent hunting till my tags are filled.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

I have 2 different sets that i change out.

Street = 2.5" w/ 2 chamber flows. Good sound for street

track = 3" w/ SINGLE CHAMBER FLOWS = VERY LOUD :twisted:
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/Ranger
09 Honda chopper http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/CB750/
99 Ram
05 Toyota Camry (4 banger)
gorgo

Post by gorgo »

i have flowmaster 40's w/2.5 exhaust sounds nice at idle. when you wind it out it sounds like the older muscle cars. raps out pretty nice. at 70 on the freeway they are loud. of course that is about 3200 rpms.
93 4X4 Long Box w/ 98 exployer 5.0, aod eld performer 650 carb
72 ford 3/4 4X4 HiBoy big block
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

I have tri y headers 2 1/2 pipes 40 series flowmaster single muffler dual inlet and dual outlets.
here is what it sounds like:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/V8-R ... 148680.htm

Not everybody likes the noise but hey everyone listens to their own music.
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

I have the Stainless Tuner muffler (!) left over from my 4.0

Currently, I'm using the stock tubing, through one of the cats. I tried it intact, then gutted it. Made no real difference in power or tone. The muffler dumps in front of the rearend.
Looks like this: (the old O2 sensor is just filling a hole, O2's are in my tri-Y headers)

Sounds like this:

I'll be replacing it with 2.5" tubing, and two 40 series Flowmasters. I'm still on the fence about using new cats, or going without. I need them for inspection, then again, the motor swap isn't technically legal, either.
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I know what you mean about the cats. Where I'm at, and for the year of my truck, the cats just have to be there. There doesnt have to be anything in them, they just have to be there, go figure. But, if you know someone, which i do, they just happen to forget to look and see if they are there, lol. I dont have cats on mine. I have been lucky with state inspection so far, and have not had any problems. My V8 had been in my Ranger for almost 7 years now.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
austin

Post by austin »

Do Thrush Welded mufflers sound the same as flowmaster 40's? I really like the sound of 40's but the price of Thrush weldeds!
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

IMO, I think the 40's are way to loud. At least for my liking..
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I'm running a dynomax (I think its called that) with one cat, has a nice quite rumble at idle a little louder as you drive but quite enough to be a sleeper! it has the v8 sound but not crazy loud, when you stomp it you can here the motor over the exaust.

My opinion its the perfect sleeper muffler!!!
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider