uh oh! i'm picking up an awd donor!

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

2lo-rngr
SM: No

uh oh! i'm picking up an awd donor!

Post by 2lo-rngr »

Well, i've been looking for an explorer or like to use as a winter driver... With our current family situation, I end up running the kids around from school/church/and the such more than the Mrs., and my regular cab pickup isn't fitting the bill anymore. A couple blocks or so once in a while was ok, but 3-4 times a week all over town I don't feel safe with them in the truck, with just a lap belt for whoever rides in the middle... SO... i've been looking for preferably an older cheap but nice Ford SUV. The older explorers are fairly priced, and in going with this era i can have my tried and true 5.0 v8 as motivation. Well, on craigslist I found a black 98 that had been rolled, but was still running and driving. I didn't bother with it at first, being most people who know they have the gt40 headed 5.0's ask for arms and legs. He was willing to part out, so I asked him about the rearend and possibly the motor, then I just asked what he would want for the whole thing... I was stunned at the price. He could sell the motor for more. So i'm going to take up his offer, though my first priority is to see if I think it would be an easy repair, in which case, it will be fixed and employed as a winter driver for the fam... but if I think it's too much work.... OH THE POSSIBILITIES!!!! thanks malcolm!!! I have a 60 Falcon i'm building for the Mrs., and i told her, how cool would it be to have an AWD Falcon? It sounds like a LOT of work, but really, how cool would that be? I'm just churning with ideas and thought i'd share... that is all.
100% ADRENALINE JUNKIE
90 2-lo ranger x-cab xlt.. 347 swap coming soon... and paint... and airbags... etc.
92 F150 I-6 8" lift with 35's
90 Mustang LX: in the chop shop... soon to be a new color with new motivation: Dart 363 with forced induction... 750ish+ rwhp. gotta keep with the times...
87 Mustang... DSS super pro bullet 306, Crower rods, Max quench pistons,Comp cam, stage III ported Holley/Brodix heads, TKO600, Vortech'd, pullied, etc.... 572rwhp... though it's day's are numbered....
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: uh oh! i'm picking up an awd donor!

Post by MalcolmV8 »

You're very welcome :) You'll love the AWD. I miss it a ton and hope to have another AWD toy one day. Every time I go to punch it from a light, around a corner, up a hill from a stop I miss the AWD. Every time it rains I absolutely miss it. The AWD v8 Ranger was definitely one of the most unique and fun to drive vehicles I've ever had. Just to bad it couldn't sit more than a couple people properly.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8