My Build Thread

All you can handle multimedia.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

usmcrp1044
SM: No

My Build Thread

Post by usmcrp1044 »

Well, I made one when I first got my truck about a year ago, but I guess I'll start a new one and try to keep updating it as I go along.

So, I bought a 94 Ranger like a year ago and drove it home. Since that time, it looks like a bomb went off in the thing.

It's going to be a 302/c4 swap. Just a street/strip/ drive it every nice day during the summer kinda ride.
I don't have an engine yet, although I've accumulated a bunch of parts for one. :wink:

Biggest project to date has been of course dissasembly, but I've been putting in a Jeg's 8 point Roll bar kit. If anyone is considering it, it really is a decent kit for the money. I think I paid $270 including truck freight. By no means is it 'bolt in' but the main hoop is the right size and everything is notched right. The bar's had to be cut to length but that's no big deal.

Out back, I'm looking at the S&W ladder bar/coilover kit as an option. I would rather not screw with the leaf's anyways, so as of right now that looks like the route I'll be taking.

Hopefully going to get the frame sandblasted soon, just gotta wait for a nice day so I can do it. I just built the seat mounts today.

Enough typing, pictures:

Gutted interior, Rollbar itself is in, but no other supports.

How I attached the rollbar to the frame. It's just bolted for now, but I can weld it at a later time easily enough

Rollbar is done except for rear supports. Dashboard is painted. I'm going to order a swing out door bar kit and at least have it on the drivers side. It's a little tight getting around the wheel. I've got a smaller wheel but it will still be a pain in the ass.

Here's how I attached the front rollbar support

here are my seats

Since this picture was taken, the heater box has been removed and trimmed
The outer and inner fenders are off. Throttle cable taken out, new one ordered. Clutch pedal and master cylinder got tossed, and I pulled out the brake lines.

My heater box, kinda dumb to do it without test fitting the engine. Oh well, just a quick patch. :wiggle:

Making stuff is never as easy or quick as you think it will be.

It's actually not as hard to climb into as I thought it would be. Screw the swing out door bar's, I'm young.:tongue

Just an old belt I had. I'm going to pick up a set of (expired) red ones. The trucks going to be bright red, so they should look good.

They sit even with each other, one's just reclined a little.

Underside #1

Underside #2

What else come's apart on this thing? lol
302project

Re: My Build Thread

Post by 302project »

looks good so far.

I like the seats and roll cage.

Good luck with it!
1993 Ford Ranger STX with a BOSS302 4-bolt main block in 5.0L form, Scat crank and rods, Probe pistons, Trickflow twisted wedge heads, intake and fuel rails, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Automotive A1000 fuel pump, Canton oil pan, Mellin high volume oil pump, B&G Custom headers, PT88 Turbo, HPX PMAS MAF, MSD A6L box and distributor, Ford Racing 9 mm spark plug wires, 80 lbs Siemems injectors, stock A9L computer with an SCT 4 bank chip, ford 9" rear with coil overs, Tremec TKO500.
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

302project wrote:looks good so far.

I like the seats and roll cage.

Good luck with it!
Thanks.

I love the seats. They were a $200 craigslist special that some goofball had in his honda or something.
I have always liked rollbars, so what the hell, I'll put one in. And when I go fast, I won't be in trouble at the local track. :wink:

I'm going to need some luck I think. :)

I bought a new box today. It's off of a 99, it's in great shape, just two small dents on the back corner by the lights. The guy included the tailgate and taillights to. Good deal for $240? I think so.
I'll get pictures next time I get over to the shop.
302project

Post by 302project »

I think that both the box and the seats were a hell of a deal!

How much does a roll cage like that run? I might have to do that since my truck is kinda
fast now :mrgreen: to be able to run at the track.

But if you can paint the chassis, it will look very clean
1993 Ford Ranger STX with a BOSS302 4-bolt main block in 5.0L form, Scat crank and rods, Probe pistons, Trickflow twisted wedge heads, intake and fuel rails, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Automotive A1000 fuel pump, Canton oil pan, Mellin high volume oil pump, B&G Custom headers, PT88 Turbo, HPX PMAS MAF, MSD A6L box and distributor, Ford Racing 9 mm spark plug wires, 80 lbs Siemems injectors, stock A9L computer with an SCT 4 bank chip, ford 9" rear with coil overs, Tremec TKO500.
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

302project wrote:I think that both the box and the seats were a hell of a deal!
Your not the only one. I agree.
302project wrote:How much does a roll cage like that run? I might have to do that since my truck is kinda
fast now :mrgreen: to be able to run at the track.
It's a roll bar, not a cage. :)
Here it is here
[url]http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/945503K/10002/-1[/ur;]
So $270 shipped, and I bought a 3 foot peice of 2"x3" box steel for the outriggers that I have pictured.
You might be able to do it cheaper by buying the tube and bending it yourself, but having the main hoop made to the right size is a great help. Also, the ends of the bar's are all notched which makes it nice. I liked the kit.

If you can do the welding, have the patience, and can fabricate some decent enough, you could do it yourself like I did and save alot of money. It is/was a pain in the ass to do, measure 10x and cut once. Keep in mind that you will need a lexan rear window too, I havent priced one yet, but I know it's not going to be cheap. Me and my old man probably have 10+ hours in it just to get it to where it is now.
302project wrote:But if you can paint the chassis, it will look very clean
I'm hoping so. I have the sandblaster, just gotta get the sand and the time. :D