Some wideband help (dynojet)

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Some wideband help (dynojet)

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Hey Guys,

Looking for some input from guys that work with Electronics a lot. I recently removed an LC1 wideband from my car and installed a DynoJet2 this weekend. Its advertised as having two 0-5v outputs. One for a gauge and one for data logging. Well come to installing it there's only one output. They mention getting an optional harness to have both outputs in their docs. How frustrating as I even called their tech support before purchasing and the guy never said anything about having to purchase some optional harness.

Well I look over their website and the harness has the same plug that goes into the unit and appears to just split out the one 0-5v output to two connections. Humm well so I what I did was just connect my one output to both my gauge and my data logger. I don't know how valid that is. Does the possible current draw from the gauge cause a voltage drop perhaps and cause me to data log an invalid reading?

I'm going to call DynoJet tomorrow and ask about this but in the mean time I'm trying to figure this out. I did a few WOT pulls in my car today while data logging but wondering how valid those logs are and if I should mail them to my tuner or not.

Later
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Some wideband help (dynojet)

Post by cgrey8 »

Theoretically as long as both the gauge and voltage datalogger are measuring the voltage with 100kohm+ resistance, then you can have 2 devices on the same output. That only puts a 50kohm load on the output which should be well within the device's ability to maintain accurately.

Regardless, you'll get your most accurate values datalogging the WB controller directly using a serial connection. That way, you receive exactly what the controller intended to send. When you datalog the voltage, you have the distinct and VERY possible chance of error in translation. My DataQ datalogger never datalogs a voltage over 4.8v from my LC1 hanging in the open air. So what I did was rescaled everything down and now my DataQ translation from voltage tracks pretty closely to the LC-1's serial datalogging. The only reason I continue to use the DataQ is because it datalogs MUCH faster than the LC-1 controller updates over the serial connection.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Actually the DynoJet kit does not have the option to data log through serial like the LC1 did. In fact it has no hook up to your PC at all. You basically just power up and go. It does have two extra ports on the side where you can plug in additional modules to expand the base unit which may give you those options but I don't know. It's definitely not as complex as the LC1 in terms of user features or adjustments but the dang thing just works and doesn't require constant recalibration of the sensor.

The other neat thing I liked about the DynoJet is that it came with a harness to plug into the sensor instead of directly into the main unit like on the LC1 which really limits where you can place the main unit.

Anyhow I appreciate the feedback. That makes me feel a little better about what I data logged today.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

Yeah, my LC1 controller is literally zip-tied to other things under the truck next to the transmission. The WB wire wasn't nearly long enough for me to get it inside the truck. So I wired it up outside, which from what I understand is common for the LC1. And being it is potted, it shouldn't hurt it.

I'm still just disappointed that the LC-1 didn't work out for you. I have no problems at all with mine now that it is setup and running.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Well I have a replacement LC1 that Innovate sent me that I guess I could always go back and use. If I ever do though I'll probably look at making some sort of harness for the O2 sensor like how dynojet did. I really like that option.

I got to thinking, I don't know that data logging through serial would do me any good. As of now I don't data log with the laptop, to much of a pain. I data log with the the SCT X3 and my wideband plugs into the firewire port on top of it. I then plug the X3 into my laptop at home later and pull the files off of it.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Turns out this wideband2 only has one 0-5 volt output. Their website says two but when you call their tech support they try and sell you a $25 harness and all its just a Y cable. Just joins two devices to the same output wire. What a crock.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing