Time to get rid of that old Mustang

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Dave
Supporting Member
SM: No

Time to get rid of that old Mustang

Post by Dave »

The HP wars are really heating up for those of you with Mustangs. Roush has come out with a couple that will blow Malcoms Cobra away (maybe)
Dave
2010 ROUSH 540RH

The second Mustang unveiled with the 540 horsepower powerplant is the new 2010 ROUSH 540RH™, a limited content, full powertrain vehicle. Also known as the Hammer®, this car comes armed with massive horsepower, a ROUSH rear decklid spoiler, and short throw shifter with a choice of white or black ball, the 540RH is a stoplight slayer.

Proving just how quick this car can be on the optional 18-inch Cooper RS3 tires, ROUSH engineers recorded an 11.8-second elapsed time at 121 mph during testing at Milan (Mich.) Dragway in early September.

“The new ROUSH 540RH is really intended to be a ‘sleeper’ car,” Roush explained. “It will be purposely built with minimal content as it was designed for the buyer who wanted the ROUSH horsepower but with a blank canvas that can be customized into their own personal one-of-a-kind ride.”

The 2010 ROUSH 540RH has a new suspension package which includes front and rear springs, front and rear stabilizer bars and jounce bumpers, and a subtle tone-on-tone striping package. All this comes with a suggested retail starting at $46,145* when built on a base Ford Mustang GT chassis.

Both the 2010 ROUSH Stage 3 Mustang and the 2010 ROUSH 540RH Mustang use the same engine that debuted in the 2009 ROUSH P-51B™ Mustang. In order to get this type of power from the Ford 4.6L, 3-valve engine, ROUSH technicians replace many of the internal components with stronger parts including forged aluminum pistons (with an increased dish to lower the compression ratio from 9.8 to 8.6), forged steel H-Beam connecting rods and a forged steel crankshaft. The fuel rails are changed, as are the fuel injectors and an upgraded fuel pump. ROUSH also upgrades the clutch and includes a custom-calibration for the ECM to manage the performance of the next-generation R2300 ROUSHcharger®.

As is standard with all new ROUSH Mustangs, both cars will come with the anti-wheel hop kit installed during the assembly process. This part (No. 401788) is an outstanding addition to any 2005-2010 Ford Mustang GT.

Both vehicles are covered by a 3-year/36,000-mile warranty and will be available with a manual transmission only. The 2010 ROUSH Stage 3 is expected to start production by the end of September; the 2010 ROUSH 540RH should start showing up on dealer lots in October. For more information on either of these new models, or to see the complete content list, visit ROUSH Performance Products.
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: Time to get rid of that old Mustang

Post by MalcolmV8 »

You're gonna need more than 540 to catch me :mrgreen:
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Hey, ever get that "old" thing put back together? I just posted for those not as hard core as you. $46k is really not a bad buy for all you can get. 20 years ago I would have choked on the thought of that much money or the HP out of a 281 ci motor. Ready for Winter?
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yup car's running great so far. Have about 1000 miles on the new motor now and about ready to start laying into the boost. I'm waiting on a new wideband so I can get my tune dialed in with my tuner. That LC1 I had is a POS and after so many problems I yanked it and ordered a Dyno Jet unit. Should be here next week along with my new Borla Stingers.

While I was rebuilding the motor I did a few other upgrades too. I pulled the stock Cobra fuel pumps, fuel hat etc. and put in twin Ford GT pumps, aftermarket fuel hat etc. and dumped that problematic PPRV valve (one way valve in fuel system). I upgraded to a 26 spline input shaft (since I twisted two stock 10 splines) and put in a spec 3+ clutch. Aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster, short throw shifter, tossed the hood prop and put in hood shocks. Tossed the factory H pipe and went with a Bassani cat'd X pipe. Got a pretty neat set of custom made gauges that match the stock gauges, fuel pressure, boost, engine temp, wideband. Had some custom paint mixed to match the plastics housing the gauges so it all looks factory.

So I'm all ready now for a bigger blower next summer. I have lower compression pistons, fuel system, tranny etc. is all beefed up and ready to go. Oh yeah I also lowered the car, tinted the windows, put black COBRA lettering in the rear bumper and changed out the "ford" badge on the deck lid for one that looks like it but its black with silver writing and says "terminator" lol :) So ahh yeah been busy.

I'll have to go google that Roush 540 though, sounds like a nice ride. I had not heard of it yet.

As for winter... ahhh can't wait lol. I'm just starting to enjoy my car again and it'll be time to park it again before you know it.

Later
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

Car sounds good Malcolm, you should show some pictures :)
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Well hard to believe but they keep coming out with "New and Improved" blowers. I think Roush is using that TVS Eaton blower. Several are now using a four lobe screw with a tighter twist to them. They say they produce more power but are more efficient. Yep, lets see some pictures before the white crap hits.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yeah the Eaton blowers are roots style. I've ported and pullied it but the next step is to switch to a twin screw such as the Whipple or Kenne Bell. The produce a lot more boost with a lot more efficiency. Anyhow here's a few pics.

I have a ton of assembly pics including the twin GT fuel pumps, the twin FPDM (fuel pump driver modules), gauge installation and a bunch of other stuff that I did. Not to mention entire engine build up etc. However here's just some completed car driving around pics from today. Well I say completed but there's still more work. I plan on powder coating the rims black... and well that's probably the only cosmetic thing left. Everything else is under the hood, blower, tune, exhaust etc. that I still want to continue tweaking.
IMG_1106.jpg
IMG_1089.jpg
IMG_1091.jpg
IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1094.jpg
IMG_1097.jpg
IMG_1102.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1112.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1131.jpg
IMG_1132.jpg
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Whoops just noticed I forgot to throw in an under hood pic or two :)
IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1121.jpg
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

My gauges at night.
IMG_1025.jpg
IMG_1030.jpg
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

That's one sharp car you got Malcolm, better keep it. Where did you that "Terminator" plaque? How many people pull over when you come up behind them?
Roush assembly plant pictures, nice day job!
http://www.fnsweet.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=43
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Thanks man. Only vehicle I've ever purchased brand new in my life and love it. I found that Terminator plaque over here http://www.webxtremes.com/
Actually it's just a vinyl transfer but they do such a good job at them you can't tell. I actually bought a second Ford badge and applied it there first to make sure it looked really good and not cheesy and when I saw how nice it turned out I pulled the Ford badge off the deck lid of my car and installed the replacement.
Wow funny you ask about cars pulling over for me. Have you had that happen to you before? Its happened to me more than once :) I felt bad each time because I didn't mean to intimidate (I'm pretty good about sharing the road with others) but apparently I did enough that I've had people pull over for me to pass lol.

Those pics are nice. Real nice too for the people who buy those cars too. A little something extra. Same for me, I found a site with a bunch of build pics of the Terminators and it's pretty neat to have.

Just got the Borla Stingers installed to night. Love em!!
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Malcolm, Little bit more from the "mole" with Roush info, he got the info out to us before most of the dealers know anything about the new motors.
Dave

"Another thing that is going around on the new 2010 Stage 3 and 540RH........

It makes well more than 540hp. I have heard from a few different people that it actually dynos out at about 520-530 rwhp. That puts crank hp closer to 600!

That is not official of course, but if so it means that this thing is underrated just like the 2001-2004 Stage 3's were, many of which cranked out more like 400hp at the crank instead of the stated 360/380

We will have to wait until peeps buy their own and start dyno testing them to confirm"
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Sounds like a fun ride. These newer body style Mustangs are supposed to ride better than the earlier body style like I have. Suspension and structure is better. They're just heavy beasts. Wish I had the cash to add one to my garage though.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

What was wrong with the LC-1? I use it and have no problems with it, but then again, I don't use the Innovate software to datalog it. I datalog it through the same software that datalogs the Quarterhrose.

If you ever decide to sell it, let me know. I wouldn't mind having another WB for my passenger side tube or to play around with putting a WB after the CATs too see how they are working.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I don't datalog with their software either. I use SCT. When I'd start the car cold the WB gauge would do nothing. I'd check the LED and it would vary. Some days it would be off, sometimes a slow steady blinking like its warming up but never ends, sometimes it would be on solid, and once I even got a 6 flash code. I'd turn the car off, restart and then it would work fine. I called their tech support and they had me check various voltages and check a few things and we couldn't find anything wrong so eventually they said to return the unit along with the sensor back to them so they can trouble shoot further and replace either the sensor or WB unit or both I guess is even possible.

I'm pretty sure once I get it back from them I'll sell it. I'm still waiting on my DynoJet unit but if it's a decent unit then yes I'll sell the LC1.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing