LC1 wideband issue

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

LC1 wideband issue

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I'm not sure who all else runs a wideband on here, besides Chris, but I have an LC1 and an interesting issue.
When you first turn the key on and fire up the engine the gauge does nothing for a few seconds and then suddenly swings to life. This is because the O2 sensor is warming up.

However on first run of the day when everything is completely cold the gauge never moves. I fire it up and drive around and the gauge just sits dead the whole time. However my LC1 status LED is on solid indicating normal operation. All I have to do is turn the car off and back on and it'll start working and keep working the rest of the day till the car sits over night and cools completely. Even then it's hit or miss, sometimes it does work first time in the morning.

Anyone else have this issue?
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: LC1 wideband issue

Post by cgrey8 »

I don't think that's in the LC-1 itself or at least not in mine. But I also don't have a gauge. This issue you are describing may be in the gauge itself. Get a voltage meter and see.

My LC-1 reads a rich value out the Analog Output 2 for about 20 seconds after crank while the WB is warming up. Once it is warm, I get modulating values. The only time the WB doesn't modulate around with frequent updates after this point is when my engine does dead-lean from Decel Fuel ShutOff mode (DFSO) which is a special mode Ford EECs can go into at Closed Throttle where the injectors are turned off and the engine just becomes an air pump. At this point, the output goes up near 5v indicating a strong lean condition.

The serial port datalog shows slightly different behavior though. During crank, the serial port either shows a fixed rich value (similar to AO2) OR shows 0. Once warm, the value modulates around, although the serial updates are FAR slower than the real-time updates that come out of the AO2. Unlike the AO2 during DFSO, the serial value sometimes will go to 0 indicating an error instead of just trying to report the AFR as best as it can. But in either case, as soon as my foot goes back on the gas and the injectors return, the AO2 and serial port begin reporting again.

One thing you might do is go to the Innovate website and download the latest LC-1 firmware. I remember when I installed my LC-1 that I was getting goofy behavior from it that was corrected by updating the firmware.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yeah I could try updating the firmware although I saw a lot of complaints on Innovative's website about the newest firmware and people down grading. That made me hesitant to upgrade it. I suppose if its not working right now I have nothing to loose :)

Another issue I have is trying to program the LC1. I'll change the values to what I want and then hit program and it acts like it worked but if you change tabs in the application and then come back the old values are there. It did not save. You have to turn off the key/wideband, turn it back on and re-open the app and re-connect. It's a real pain. I searched their forums again and found lots of complaints and they said to just keep trying it'll eventually work. Took me about 10 tries before it actually saved. How annoying.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

The LC-1 firmware version I have is v1.10 which is the same as what's still on the website. If I have trouble with it, I guess I'll consider downgrading to an older version, but for now, it's doing what I need it to. I do see that Logworks has updated from v3.0 (what I have) to v3.01 and it includes a new version of LM-Programmer (v3.25). Perhaps the problems weren't with the firmware, but rather with the version of LM-Programmer that I was using?

As for getting the LC-1 controller updated using LM Programmer, I too had the same experience with trying to get things saved. By default, the AO1 emulates a HEGO. What I was trying to do was retask AO1 to behave like AO2 so I could put an AFR meter on the AO1 and datalog the AO2 from my DataQ A/D converter (it's not recommended to put 2 monitoring devices on the same AO). I datalog the WB via my DataQ A/D converter because datalogging the LC-1 via its serial port is just so slow in comparison. I don't think I ever got it to save that setting, but since I don't have a gauge, it hasn't been a big deal.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yeah I wired up my gauge to AO1 (yellow wire) and put a firewire cable on AO2 (brown wire). My SCT X3 device will data log without a PC including the LC1's output via the firewire cable which is pretty slick. So I was trying to do something similar to you, switch AO1 and 2 around. Had I realized ahead of time I would have just wired them the opposite way around and saved myself the trouble of trying to reprogram AO1 to be like 2 and vise verse.
I think I'm on firmware 1.10 too, need to go back and look. My LM-programmer is older though, 3.22 I think it was.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing