OBD-II connection issues with the engine pull

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

OBD-II connection issues with the engine pull

Post by cgrey8 »

I talked with the junkyard dawg (he's a Ga fan) that's pulling my 302 from the 97 Explorer for me. He can get the engine with most of the wires to and from the computer mainly because everything critical is right there under the hood.

However the wires that go to the OBD-II connection under the dask "appear" to be ganged with a number of other wires such as the windshield wiper motor and other miscellanious electricals. Long story short, it doesn't appear that getting the OBD-II connector is a simple task without taking the dash out and untaping the connector' harness of wires from all the other under-the-dash wires.

If I can clip the OBD-II connector off from under the dash, does anybody know where I can get specs on how to reconnect the OBD-II back to the computer (ECC-V) even if I have to keep the connector under the hood somewhere instead inside? Since my 89 Ranger was OBD-I (ECC-IV), it's connector was under the hood anyway so it doesn't break my heart if I can't easily relocate it inside.

I just wanted to see if other people had run into this when putting the newer OBD-II compliant engines in Rangers that predate these new systems.

Any thoughts at all?

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

i sent you an email let me know if this helps
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Thanks, I'll look over it and see what I can make of it.

Without the engine and the wires in front of me, it doesnt mean much, however when I get to it, I'll break this image back out and see what can be done. I haven't given up on getting the harness out uncut, however if it's simpler just to cut and re-make the connections rather than spend hrs in the junkyard trying to tear the dash out...

Thanks again,
Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org