Check this out. Smallest supercharged V8

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

v8ranger
SM: No

Check this out. Smallest supercharged V8

Post by v8ranger »

This has got to be the coolest thing I have ever seen......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8TXMUaC ... re=related
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: Check this out. Smallest supercharged V8

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Lots of them on youtube if you search around. I believe there's even smaller s/c ones out there although that is one of my favorite by far.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Is it cooled at all? I don't see fins like it is air cooled. But I also don't see water lines going to it either. Maybe the fuel it uses is methanol which tends to burn cool.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

He probably doesn't run it real long. Fire it up and play around a little and shut it down.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

What fun is that? I wanna see that engine mounted inside a 5th scale remote control car or 4wd monster truck or something! :lol: That'd be far more interesting than just an engine mounted to a plate...not to belittle his efforts or anything.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Shoot search youtube. They have tiny v8s that fit in your hand, sort of, in r/c cars. One of them is a shelby cobra and I think the other was an old model T truck or something. Very cool.

Imagine that little blown v8 in a go cart or something. Won't be as fast as say a single cylinder racing cart but very cool.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

You say it wouldn't be as fast, but it might be. Remember those little 2-seater go-carts that only powered the back-left wheel? All they had was a 3.5hp Briggs&Stratton.

I remember when I used to get the Tower Hobbies catalogs, they had a 5 cylinder radial RC airplane engine that could produce 5hp by revving up to about 30,000RPMs. It couldn't do it with displacement, so they rev the snot out of it. I just can't imagine an engine that's just barely larger than the diameter of my hand that can produce 5hp. That's insane. If this little V8 could rev anywhere close to 15,000 RPMs, I'd expect it could produce 5-6hp easily. Now keeping it cool is still another issue.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

If you build a cart just put in a 125 or 250cc moto x 2 stroke motor. For the weight and size nothing will catch you.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

2 stroke engines are amazingly powerful. But I can't help but admire the guys that are convinced they can make a B&S a serious race engine. I've seen forged cranks, forged pistons, and all sorts of other upgrades for those engines that cost probably 10x what the B&S cost new. I guess everybody needs a hobby, but I agree a 2-stroke engine will fill your need for most any power needs on small scale stuff like go-carts. Although I do have to admit the 4-stroke water cooled motorbike engines are respectable. I remember when the Honda 50cc and 100cc were just kids engines. But the 100cc water cooled engines aren't too bad.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yeah little engines and hobbies are great. I have several gas powered r/c trucks, cars and even a plane :) Check out the traxxas tmaxx or revo online and you'll see em. Great trucks. I have the second gen tmaxx (not the latest 3.3cc). Mine has a 2.5cc or 0.15 cubic inch motor. Great little things with such amazing power for their size. I believe mine revs over 30k rpm.
My older buggy which has a 0.12 cubic inch motor is rated in the manual as 49k rpms. Crazy.
Actually I have two monster trucks that have different generation 0.15 cid motors and the power difference between them is huge. The one will out run the other by a great amount.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

In my teens, I had a Traxxas Cat electric powered. I loved that thing. But it eventually couldn't keep up with my abuse and gave up the ghost. I have no clue what happened to it. I've often thought about getting back into the hobby, but the EEC tuning hobby just kind of swept me away and I've been enthralled with that learning as much as I can about how to hack these black boxes to do what I want them to.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

That little engine thing is real cool. I dont remember where I saw it before, maybe it was posted here at one point?

Anyway, I remember the guys website... He made every single part himself for the thing. He has a machine shop in his garage. Machine shop or not, that is some serious skill. Theres a link to his website on the youtube page, or just click it here.
http://www.weberprecision.com/

Really cool to see how he did the stuff.... and I was proud with the shift knobs I made in my machine shop class back in high school. :P
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

That's the guy, does it all by CNC machining. I posted a couple of videos several years ago of a guy who actually duplicates in cast metal the exact shape of several engines. He's done the flathead, a '47' Harley, the Aureoa Indy motor and an engine from a WWI fighter. That plane engine he had to go to long lengths to find the plans, someone finially loned him one so he could duplicate it. It's a strange one, not the normal radial engine but the rotary engine. The crank doesn't rotate but the pistons rotate around it. I've got them but not on Photobucket. His hobby got carried away.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting