efi to carb

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

gorgo
SM: No

efi to carb

Post by gorgo »

if i was to go to a carbed setup on my 98 exployer 5.0 what would be a good chose? it is just a stock set up. im looking for low end torchbecause of the 4x4 set up.
93 4X4 Long Box w/ 98 exployer 5.0, aod eld performer 650 carb
72 ford 3/4 4X4 HiBoy big block
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I dont know what your state emisstions are, but I know here in NY state, anything 96 and newer has to be pluged in to the OBDII port to pass inspection. If you take off the EFI you wont have the computer and therefore cant be pluged in.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
gorgo

Post by gorgo »

we dont have any emissions check here
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

gorgo wrote:we dont have any emissions check here
Your day is coming lol.... we didnt either until about 6 years ago....
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I still have my trucks registered in my old non-emission county just outside of Atlanta. They've been threatening to make it an emissions testing county since before I moved to it over 7 years ago and it still isn't done or at least the county isn't enforcing it. My gut feeling is if they do go emissions, what the state will do is do away with 95-older testing and only require 96-up vehicles be tested since the older testing method requires a dyno and it'll be hard to convince people to invest in an emission-testing dyno when most vehicles on the road today are not older than 96...or at least the majority of the ones running around Atlanta aren't. If they do update the rule to only 96-newer vehicles require testing, then I'm completely off the hook!

But I built the V8 into the Ranger expecting to have to deal with emissions at some point. In fact, the county I live in now does emission-testing hence why I keep my vehicles still registered out at my old house...that still hasn't sold. Why should I voluntarily register them in a county that's going to charge me $20-25/vehicle each year to have them tested even if they both do pass? It's still money and an inconvenience.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
gorgo

Post by gorgo »

the reason for going to carb is that as smart as i thought i was i just cant seem to get everything to work the way it should. i've done just about everything to check my setup and still have the ics not working the truck running really rich, but no codes being thrown. i have a quess that it is my harness, seeing i opted to go with a used harness instead of going new. now to go new it is the same, close, price as going carbed and still no garentee the harness will fix my isues whereas with a crab it is a no brainer. i have been trying to work the bugs out for a year and just cant seem to get it right. this is becoming a boat, a hole to throw money into. as people say this is not a cheap process to go thru, but at this stage of the game im not willing to bag the whole thing.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Well there's another option. It could be that the EEC just needs to be tuned. However a datalogging tuner is not a straight forward thing either. And currently, the TwEECer RT and supporting software isn't a cheap venture either...probably more than going carb at least for now. There's another guy that has been developing a replacement for the TwEECer RT for just over 1/3rd of the the price and FAR better than the TwEECer. The TwEECer RT sells for about $600 right now and is included with absolutely crap software which forces you to buy another $130 worth of software. The Moates datalogging chip, now called the Quarterhorse (used to be called Pegasus), is expected to sell for $250. The developer of BE is planning to support this new hardware. Once it gets support, that'll be pretty much the death of the TwEECer for the typical Mustang tuner.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org